• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
I called in 4 times at different times of the day; no go each time. 2x's I was flat out told if I want hockey then I should purchase center ice. I of course told them it's a money grab and wasn't interested.

The other 2 times they did not have any offers available but they were nicer csr's at least.

onebadss, you should have found out if she had a direct line. That's a pretty excellent deal.

RayNathan said: I did this too. Again, follow these steps:
1. Speak politely
2. get connected to customer service and say you are calling about versus channel, they immediately should connect you to customer retention department
3. There they immediately offer you 50% off NHL center ice
4. keep politely telling them how much you signed up with DTV for sports and season has started and you are missing hockey games, etc. and tell how you don't have to pay anything to watch hockey if only versus was there
5. keep telling them to see if there is any other way to help

Finally this is what I got:
NHL center ice 50% off: $81.90 is what I pay net
$20 off per month on my bill for 6 months, -$120
so Net I get a credit of $38.10 PLUS get NHL center ice.
Sweet deal! Enjoy!

My Dad called and got this exact deal today.

munkyxtc said:

onebadss, you should have found out if she had a direct line. That's a pretty excellent deal.

No kidding, I was expecting to be given a hard time after reading the recent posts. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have ordered the Center Ice package every year in the past. That could make a difference over the average caller...

Man, I called and all I got was $10 off for 6 months....the lady wouldn't transfer me to retentions and I had to bug her for awhile just to get that....I am also under contract though and have no leverage. Plus, as much as I love my Blues, they're only on Versus a handful of times so I figured I still made out better than I would have if Versus was on, although there are a few college football games that I will miss now.

I'm a nearly new customer (2 months plus) on premier package with HD.

First time call in, a lady offered ESPN game plan package for half price. I told her I will think about it and call back later. She was mentioning that I might have to pay $450 for early termination fee.

2nd time call in, a very nice gentlemen offer NHL Center Ice for free. I accepted even though I rarely watch hockey. And he even mentioned that DirecTv is in negotiation with Versus to get that channel back soon. I logged into my account and see a charge and a credit for $160ish.

Thanks OP any way. Green for you.

I called yesterday and was calm but persistent. Turned down offers #1 and #2, and took door #3, free Center Ice and a $10/month credit for 12 months.

I started out with "I'm trying to cut expenses and I'm upset over the Versus agreement because I'm a huge hockey fan" line of thought. Very calmly got to the point were I said I need to cancel service w/ DirecTV and go with someone who had Versus. She said OK, give me a few minutes to take care of that for you, at which point I thought she called my bluff. The CSR said I had 3 more months left on my 24 month agreement and I'd have to pay a fee to get out of it if I cancelled. I ask to see where I signed anything that said this and she said, "your customer agreement stated these terms." I then asked her to e-mail or fax me the agreement with my actual signature on it. She said she could but it would take a while. I said it didn't really matter, I still want to cancel, I'll pay the fee and get something cheaper WITH Versus.

She came back in a few minutes with free Center Ice and free College Gameplan. I said the college football season is already 1/4 of the way done and I'm looking to cut expenses. She countered with free Center Ice or $10 monthly credit. I politely said if I could have both, I'd be happy. She agreed and that was that.

I LOVE this forum.

$283.80 worth of programming/credit for a 15 minute call.

I just called up and I must be a 1/2 star customer because the rep said I was more or less free to purchase Center Ice at regular price. I am out of contract with them so I mentioned jumping ship and she didn't seem to care.

boc4ever said: I just called up and I must be a 1/2 star customer because the rep said I was more or less free to purchase Center Ice at regular price. I am out of contract with them so I mentioned jumping ship and she didn't seem to care.

I would call back and try again. CSR's all vary in their willingness to help out.

Just for info I used these strategies for DishNetwork yesterday and he gave me $50 off Center Ice, $5 off my bill for as long as Im a customer and free HBO and Showtime for 3 months. Not bad for nothing...

Just got off of the phone with Direct TV. I told them that I was gonig to be missing some of my favorite teams. Be sure to look up some teams that have a lot of games on Versus like Chicago so they will notice you will be missing a lot of games. I told them that I was on the fence with Direct TV and Dish so they gave us the NHL Center Ice Package for free! Thanks for everybody's help.

Unfortunately, if Versus has a game scheduled then normally the Center Ice package will not show it.

I got shotdown. He offered me $10/mo for 6 months if I pay the full price of center ice. lol screw that. how come some ppl get awesome deals, some don't?

I called yesteday and just simply asked if there is anything they can do. She asked if it was OK if she took a minute or 2 to look at my account info and I said certainly. She came back with the Center Ice offer and I took it. She also mentioned that it will be auto renewed next year unless I cancel it.

Piece of Cake.

I called about a month ago and got a $50 credit. Today I called and explained that I want to change providers due to the directv/versus squabble. They in turn credited me the rest of the amount so I have NHL Center Ice for free this season. Awesome stuff!

I do miss Versus though.

A little late to the party, but I got Center Ice for free! Thanks, you guys rock! Go Bruins!

A little late to the party, but I got Center Ice for free! Thanks, you guys rock! Go Bruins!

Easy step instructions to get NHL Center Ice for the rest of the season for Directv customers (1-800-DIRECTV)

1) When DTV Customer Service prompt asks for a voice response to why you are calling - say 'Cancel Account' - sends you right to Retention Dept.
2) After the friendly hellos, say you are switching to Comcast because, now that football season is almost over, you need to watch hockey and Versus in the only place to get it.
3) Customer Service Rep will type 'Versus' or 'NHL' in their keyword search, and, BAM, offer to give the rest of the NHL Center Ice package for free - takes a little bit of time because he / she has to activate the service on your account, fill out a form, and then apply the amount & credit to your bill.....

Thanks for the idea to those who posted on this thread......worked like a charm

dekewf said: Easy step instructions to get NHL Center Ice for the rest of the season for Directv customers (1-800-DIRECTV)

1) When DTV Customer Service prompt asks for a voice response to why you are calling - say 'Cancel Account' - sends you right to Retention Dept.
2) After the friendly hellos, say you are switching to Comcast because, now that football season is almost over, you need to watch hockey and Versus in the only place to get it.
3) Customer Service Rep will type 'Versus' or 'NHL' in their keyword search, and, BAM, offer to give the rest of the NHL Center Ice package for free - takes a little bit of time because he / she has to activate the service on your account, fill out a form, and then apply the amount & credit to your bill.....

great deal except you missed more than half the season !!!!

fourml8r said: dekewf said: Easy step instructions to get NHL Center Ice for the rest of the season for Directv customers (1-800-DIRECTV)

great deal except you missed more than half the season !!!!

Glass Half Full...meet Glass Half Empty!! C'mon man...it's better than a kick in the teeth!!

Didn't get free center ice, but I was offered a $15 discount each month for next 6 months

I followed the script from above but was offered centerice for 50bucks. I decline and re-enforced how I like my free hockey and then the above deal was offered.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014