• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
UPDATE 4: BACK IN STOCK!

UPDATE 3: Since it is OOS at Staples members of Costco and Sam's Club can pick it up for $125.

UPDATE 2: Currently out of stock online.

UPDATE : It's been in& out of stock for last three days. Best time to ckeck is in the morning. If you don't want to wait, you can buy it from your local Staples store.
Online stock checker URL http://www.Staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesStoreInventory?partNumber=820235
Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack

Say's " Upgrade designed for Windows Vista " for installing on upto 3 PC's

Use a small filler and use a 30 off 150 coupon (Google it!) to get it for $120+ Coupon cost+ Tax.
I think it's great deal for people who don't have an .edu email to get it at the student pricing.

Read this-The XP to Windows 7 Upgrade Path if you are planning to upgrade from Windows XP.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that Win7 keys are being opening sold on e-bay. Not sure how they are getting away with it unless ... (more)

jbloggs (Dec. 29, 2009 @ 11:48a) |

They are MSDN or Technet keys and are retail keys.
Search Google/ FW as to how people got those.

ShakuniMama (Dec. 29, 2009 @ 12:37p) |

according to the friendly tech at a local Stapes, this deal is not coming back.

realpro (Dec. 29, 2009 @ 9:39p) |

"Trick" to doing a clean install without previous versions of Windows:

It's a similar trick back when vista was installed:

1. Install Win7 using custom install option on a New/clean formatted disk.
2. Leave serial number blank when asked. This will put it in trial mode.
3. Shutdown and restart by booting into Win7 disc.
4. Repeat custom install procedure except this time enter serial when prompted.
5 Install should continue
6. To verify serial after final install go to control panel system and it should show activation status at bottom.

Cheap coupons here.

* For those of you whose serial keys are not accepted, it might possibly be because you are installing a using a 32-bit serial instead of a 64-bit serial. Because 32-bit -> 64-bit upgrade is not possible, you have to do a clean install. It is quite possible that because of this, Microsoft made it so that 64-bit is able to do a clean install and it will accept the serial key. I bought 64-bit Win7 Pro from Digital River and the key was accepted no problem by the installer.
..................................................................................................................
..................................................................................................................
Notes: This is an UPGRADE pack of 3 Windows 7 Home Premium licenses.

XP users and Vista users are entitled to install these. XP upgrades require a clean install. Vista's "in-place" install requires the equivalent Vista version to 7's Home Premium. Otherwise, with mismatched versions of Vista-Windows 7 Home Premium, do a clean install* (*please correct this if necessary)

Staples link above is online. Try to snag a $30 off $150 coupon at a place online where it might cost you a couple of bucks, tops. Google is your friend.

You will need to add a small "filler" to your Staples purchase to bring the total to over $150. OP has provided a filler link above.

Tax may be added by Staples. No Cash Back here at FW but if you search, you'll find a place that still offers it. My tax was about $10, so my final cost after coupon, coupon costs, Cash Back, and tax was about $130 with free shipping. Staples tells me October 28 is an estimated delivery date.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

$149 at Amazon with no coupon, free shipping, and no taxes.

Note: This is NOT the upgrade version it is the full retail version. Some of the websites seem to be confused, some websites list the orange box as the upgrade version and other websites list the orange box as the full version. This has to be a pricing error. The 3-user version is $149, while the single user version is $199.

Does any FW know with the Windows 7 upgrade version, it states that you must upgrade if you bought Vista. What about if you got Vista when you bought a new computer? My computer came with Windows XP Pro and I got with it a Vista Business. I did not have to pay for Vista Business, it came with the new computer. I want to know if I can purchase the Windows 7 upgrade vs having to purchase the regular Windows 7? Can any FW answer this? Thanks!

busnut said: Does any FW know with the Windows 7 upgrade version, it states that you must upgrade if you bought Vista. What about if you got Vista when you bought a new computer? My computer came with Windows XP Pro and I got with it a Vista Business. I did not have to pay for Vista Business, it came with the new computer. I want to know if I can purchase the Windows 7 upgrade vs having to purchase the regular Windows 7? Can any FW answer this? Thanks!
You can upgrade to Windows 7 from XP, you can not upgrade from 2000.

link

BradMajors said: $149 at Amazon with no coupon, free shipping, and no taxes.

Note: This is NOT the upgrade version it is the full retail version. Some of the websites seem to be confused, some websites list the orange box as the upgrade version and other websites list the orange box as the full version. This has to be a pricing error. The 3-user version is $149, while the single user version is $199.

How do you know it's for the full retail and not the upgrade? It shows upgrade on the top corner of the box.

The Amazon link is much better, though it is the upgrade version and not the full.

The Amazon is the upgrade version but it means upgrade from XP or Vista.

Remember the good ol' days when Microsoft would launch a new OS and Staplez, OD and et al would have a ton of awesome freebies? I got my first digital camera for free from the Staplez launch of Windows ME. Those were the days.

overclock said: Remember the good ol' days when Microsoft would launch a new OS and Staplez, OD and et al would have a ton of awesome freebies? I got my first digital camera for free from the Staplez launch of Windows ME. Those were the days.

I'd rather buy my own camera than deal with ME

BradMajors said: $149 at Amazon with no coupon, free shipping, and no taxes.

OEM is even more than $50 a piece, so no way are they going to sell retail full versions for $50 each. These are most likely upgrades.

Alot of misinformation on upgrades above. The only way to do in-place upgrade is from VISTA with version the same or LOWER (you can't do QUICK upgrade from Vista ULTIMATE to Windows 7 Premium, for instance). Otherwise, you must re-install each program you have.

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate with no problems.

# Running Windows Vista?

# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

# Running Earlier Versions?

# If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications. If you’re running Windows 2000, you’ll need to purchase the full product and do a clean install.

B&H Photo has the 3 pack upgrade for $139.95. This was posted in the .edu thread and much obliged to the original poster.

Link

briankh said:
# If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications. If you’re running Windows 2000, you’ll need to purchase the full product and do a clean install.

Just to clarify for me: if going from XP to W7, I keep XP on the hard drive and upgrade to W7 and then reinstall my drivers and apps. I do not format my hard drive and try to upgrade to W7. Correct?

Also, does anyone know if I can go from XP Pro to W7 Home Premium?

Thanks.

namx said: B&H Photo has the 3 pack upgrade for $139.95. This was posted in the .edu thread and much obliged to the original poster.

Link

According to this BLOG you can call B&H Photo to place an order since there site still says “coming soon”.

namx said: briankh said:

Just to clarify for me: if going from XP to W7, I keep XP on the hard drive and upgrade to W7 and then reinstall my drivers and apps. I do not format my hard drive and try to upgrade to W7. Correct?

Thanks.

No matter what, anytime you reinstall an OS you should always do a clean install, from a clean slate. See that same BLOG here for all the info you should need.

Couldn't agree more! Although you may get a seamless result installing over the old OS, I promise you, there will be demons crawling out to haunt you until you do. I have had Windows 7 sitting here ready to install for weeks, but until I have the time to do a fresh install of the OS as well as all my other programs, it will remain a paperweight. I've spent the past 12-14 years building and servicing computers as a profession and I can't believe in what I'm saying any more than I do!

SeNiLe said: namx said: B&H Photo has the 3 pack upgrade for $139.95. This was posted in the .edu thread and much obliged to the original poster.

Link

According to this BLOG you can call B&H Photo to place an order since there site still says “coming soon”.

namx said: briankh said:

Thanks.

No matter what, anytime you reinstall an OS you should always do a clean install, from a clean slate. See that same BLOG here for all the info you should need.

Is this intro price - or teh retail price. Kindof strange for 3 license OEM to be cheaper than the retail version at 189?

I'm running the Win 7 RC and wasn't planning to purchase the product til the Release Candidate expire next year.

I'd be very surprised if you're get three OEM full licenses for $189.

BenJohnson said: Is this intro price - or teh retail price. Kindof strange for 3 license OEM to be cheaper than the retail version at 189?

I'm running the Win 7 RC and wasn't planning to purchase the product til the Release Candidate expire next year.

According to PCWorld, they mention “Microsoft previously said the limited-time offer, which is available until supplies last, would be available for pre-order for $149.99 on Oct. 18”.

Not sure if you'll find the family pack in a year or not or at that price but like the individual upgrade licenses, they did not last that long at the $49 price.

Oh and this is for the upgrade version not FULL.

SeNiLe said:
Oh and this is for the upgrade version not FULL.

Thanks, that answers my question.

Not what I'd be looking for.

Still seems to be some confusion on this.

Yes, this is an upgrade..however you CAN do a full install with it.
In fact, you are pretty much forced to do a full install if upgrading from XP.
Even if you have a blank hard drive,,,,install it once with the trial (do not put in a license) and then install it again with the license.

This is the retail version..not OEM. That means that you have the option of 32 bit or 64 bit.
It also means that you have 3 licenses that can be moved from one PC to another (unlike OEM)

You can upgrade from 32 bit Vista or 32 bit XP to 64 bit Windows 7.

And I have read conflicting info on if this price is permanent or a limited deal....I personally pre-ordered.

Good deal, now we just have to wait until the 21st to order. I have a couple of $25 off coupons that Staples snail-mailed me, so that's $250 for six licenses. Great deal for legal windows.

PS. Isn't this the first "family pack" license deal that MS has offered? Too bad it's only for a limited time.

VirtuaL said:

PS. Isn't this the first "family pack" license deal that MS has offered?

They offered it for vista too.

lottathought said: Even if you have a blank hard drive,,,,install it once with the trial (do not put in a license) and then install it again with the license.

While this was the case with Vista, kind of a loophole MS never worried about, nobody knows exactly how stringent the "upgrade edition" requirements will be. Many people think you will need to launch the setup program from a fully activated, up to date, completely legal copy of either XP or Vista. From this point you can do the clean install route. Personally, I am hoping I can do this Vista method, but we won't actually know for sure until a few days from now. My guess is they got rid of this past loophole, which means you should make an image file of your previous install before doing anything. Save this image in case you need it later. With hard drives so big and cheap, everyone should be able to store image files somewhere.

lottathought said:

This is the retail version..not OEM. That means that you have the option of 32 bit or 64 bit.
It also means that you have 3 licenses that can be moved from one PC to another (unlike OEM)

I have one PC I would like to upgrade from Vista - and 2 PC's I'd like to put Windows 7 in as an O/S that currently don't have an O/S. An upgrade wouldn't do me any good for 2 of my intended PC's.

I still don't know if this package would work for my From Scratch builds or not?

Wow... sweet deal.. I already pre-ordered 3 single license copies for $50 each from Amazon, so I'll sell those for a small profit and offset the cost of this order! Thanks OP!

Not sure if it's true.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows#section_1

1.Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally. (To perform an upgrade, you can't start, or "boot," your computer from the Windows 7 upgrade disc or downloaded Windows 7 installation file.)

SimMike said: lottathought said: Even if you have a blank hard drive,,,,install it once with the trial (do not put in a license) and then install it again with the license.

While this was the case with Vista, kind of a loophole MS never worried about, nobody knows exactly how stringent the "upgrade edition" requirements will be. Many people think you will need to launch the setup program from a fully activated, up to date, completely legal copy of either XP or Vista. From this point you can do the clean install route. Personally, I am hoping I can do this Vista method, but we won't actually know for sure until a few days from now. My guess is they got rid of this past loophole, which means you should make an image file of your previous install before doing anything. Save this image in case you need it later. With hard drives so big and cheap, everyone should be able to store image files somewhere.

I understand what you are saying but frankly, I am not really concerned.
Simply put..there are a TON of Beta versions out there that are also going to get upgraded.
If things really got that tight, you could simply install a free beta and upgrade from there.
Knowing this, I suspect that MS decided not to tighten the Vista loophole too much..and talk in the techie circles seems to support this.

BenJohnson said: lottathought said:

I have one PC I would like to upgrade from Vista - and 2 PC's I'd like to put Windows 7 in as an O/S that currently don't have an O/S. An upgrade wouldn't do me any good for 2 of my intended PC's.

I still don't know if this package would work for my From Scratch builds or not?

Like I just mentioned in an earlier post, I am thinking you will be fine. You will simply have to install the software twice on the PC's without an OS.

Hmm... I can't remember what I paid for the pre-order upgrade at TigerDirect. Anyone know what the pre-order prices were? I think I ordered 2 Home and 1 Professional (or whatever it's called). Wondering if I should try to get this instead and try to cancel the pre-orders.

Edit: Ok, I found my order. I paid $100 for Professional upgrade and $50 for Home Premium upgrade.

Thanks OP. I went with the Amazon version to save the moderate hassle with Staples. Anywho, Amazon said mine just shipped. Not proud to be giving more $ to MS, but what can you do.

Amazon has changed the product description to reflect that this is an upgrade version, not a standalone license.
That's irritating.
We'll see how much of a pain it is to do a clean install on my 3 PC's - if it isn't easy I'll just send it back at Amazon's expense.
No way I'm going through the hassle of installing the OS twice any time I want to reinstall.

Maybe I'm missing it in here, or maybe it's just not clear yet.

If I have Windows 7 RC already installed, can I upgrade from that to this doing a clean install, or will I need to throw Vista on that machine and then install this?

1. Are 3 disks and 3 COA's included with this ?

2. Can you boot with this version (blank hard drive) and then insert a copy of XP or Vista for verification to perform a clean install ?

3. If no to #2, how about installing a clean version of XP but not activating it. Will it then be possible to do a clean install of Win 7 ?

Can we just clear this up once and for all? Here's the direct verbiage from the WindowsSteam Blog:

"Now let’s talk about the Windows 7 Family Pack. Last week I confirmed we were doing a family pack for Windows 7 consisting of Windows 7 Home Premium for installation on up to 3 PCs.

Today, most homes have more than one PC in them. When you run Windows 7 on more than one PC on a home network, you can do more with features like HomeGroup. HomeGroup allows people to connect to PCs on their network and share files, music and photos with the whole family – easily. The Windows 7 Family Pack is an easy and affordable way to get all your PCs in your household running Windows 7 through licensing to install Windows 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs.

The Windows 7 Family Pack will be available starting on October 22nd until supplies last here in the US and other select markets. In the US, the price for the Windows 7 Family Pack will be $149.99 for 3 Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. That’s a savings of more than $200 for three licenses. This is a great value and we’re excited to be able to offer it to customers."

Link: Direct from the horse's mouth --Windows 7 Family Pack

OK, so do the math and you'll see that "savings of more than $200 for three licenses" clearly means UPGRADE (as does the packaging).

But, what qualifies as an UPGRADE to Windows 7? Let's go to the Windows 7 Home Premium page at the Microsoft store. Heres the exact verbiage:

"# Running Windows Vista? # If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

# Running Earlier Versions? # If you have Windows XP, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

If you’re running Windows 2000, you’ll need to purchase the full product and do a clean install."

Link: What previous versions of Windows qualify for Windows 7 Upgrade products

Are we clear now? Yes, it's 3 upgrade licenses. Yes, you can upgrade by doing a clean install if you have Windows XP licenses (or Vista).

Is there some "trick" to doing a clean install without previous versions of Windows? Who knows, but who doesn't have previous versions of XP and/or Vista? And really, what do you expect for $149 (and less online)?

Slikkster:
Thank you, sounds o.k. to me.
Based on your post I should be able to do a normal, clean install from XP/Vista32/Vista64/Win7 with these disks.
Good enough for me.

Missed out on the previous sale but will probably jump on this but I need to know if Home Premium has remote desktop. I need that.

Looks like no, Need Professional or UltimateLinky

You can you Mesh, but its slow.

Does anyone know when on 10/21 this will go live?

nevermind

Skipping 122 Messages...
according to the friendly tech at a local Stapes, this deal is not coming back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 12:00AM CST (Midnight) tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.