• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pure Talk USA offers a cell phone package at $10 a month for 101 minutes and the unused minutes never expire and they roll over.

Pure Talk

Always $10 per Month, 101 Minutes Included
No Contract, Extra Fees, or Surprises
Friendly Customer Service
Unused Minutes Rollover

There is a free phone and a free Sim if you already have a phone and there are several other fancier phones you can purchase

Phones - free one is toward bottom

I have personaly used this provider for the last several months and there has not been any problems what so ever.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You may want to look at the Net10 deal. Net10
LG 600G (refurb.) w/600 minutes, 120 days of service, $22 shipped!

AishaDad (May. 18, 2010 @ 2:14p) |

New paygo rates came out last week:

text

Five cents a minute voice, two cents SMS each way, ten cents MB data; refills goo... (more)

Boomerang86 (Jun. 02, 2010 @ 9:56a) |

Net 10
is a little expensive in the long run if you use very few minutes. However good coverage, another option would ... (more)

jschuman (Jun. 04, 2010 @ 3:10p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice, going to look into if for my "tween".

* How do I know if my phone is unlocked/compatible?

If your phone was through the following carriers, it is not compatible. Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Page Plus. If your existing phone was used with T-Mobile, TracFone, Net10
or other GSM providers, it will have to be unlocked to work with our services. To check to see if it is unlocked, simply place a different type of SIM chip in it. The phone will show that SIM carrier on your phone if your phone is unlocked. If your phone is AT&T or Cingular, our SIM chip should be compatible.

bluechillies said: * How do I know if my phone is unlocked/compatible?

If your phone was through the following carriers, it is not compatible. Verizon, Sprint/Nextel, MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Page Plus. If your existing phone was used with T-Mobile, TracFone, Net10
or other GSM providers, it will have to be unlocked to work with our services. To check to see if it is unlocked, simply place a different type of SIM chip in it. The phone will show that SIM carrier on your phone if your phone is unlocked. If your phone is AT&T or Cingular, our SIM chip should be compatible.

Locked means if your current phone is locked to your current provider.

This is a GSM sim based service.
They must use the AT&T network.

If you have an AT&T GSM phone then you would just pop in the sim and go. If you have any other GSM phone currently with T-Mobile, TracFone, Net10
, then you would have to unlock it, by either getting an unlock code from your current provider or using a service. Some phones can be easily unlocked yourself if you google it first.
Just tell you current provider that you are going overseas and that you need to have your phone unlocked to use a local sim card while you are traveling.

If you want Verizon network, go with PagePlus

100 min for $10. Minutes expire in 120 days, and unused amount rolls over.

An even better plan imo is the $100 prepaid plan from mingo wireless. 1500 minutes and 1yr of service. It runs on Verizon's network so the coverage is pretty good. Any Verizon cell phone should work. If you want an inexpensive phone, get a $20 Verizon prepaid phone from WalMart and activate it through Mingo (do not activate through Verizon).

At $100, the Flex 1500 plan gives you 125 minutes @ $8.33 per month ($0.0666/minute). The minutes are good for 365 days so no monthly roll over or refill hassles (the minutes do roll over with a refill). I got this deal for a relative who needed an emergency phone it and has worked out really well. I probably would not have made such a big deal about Mingo, but their customer service is great.

This deal looks interesting for a teenager who cannot control his/her air time.

zomg a gsm prepaid plan?
hmmm i know a couple people who would want this.
i just gotta wait till april for my T-Mobile contract to expire

Edit: Does anyone know of any other GSM prepaid plans?
although this plan is great for people who dont talk alot like my dad, i like to talk and keep my N95-1

P.S.
You can unlock your gsm phone with using any software by using this tool
http://www.DealExtreme.com/details.dx/sku.22581

i use it to unlock my $3 ATT phones and use it on T-Mobile

An alternative ...

T-Mobile prepaid:

* $100 / 1000 minutes - 10% airtime discounts are common, so figure $90 or less.
* 1 year expiration
* Larger coverage area (YMMV if it works for you)
* Just $10 rolls your unused minutes for another year.

Not really for me but I will say that the phone prices are suprisingly cheap. I would def. get it if you are in the market. A motorola razr still sells for $50 on eBay and craigslist.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: An alternative ...

T-Mobile prepaid:

* $100 / 1000 minutes - 10% airtime discounts are common, so figure $90 or less.
* 1 year expiration

my did did that before we signed out 2 yr contract with T-Mobile

my dad would like puretalk more because he uses 50 mins max everymonth.

T-Mobile prepaid is great, but you're paying for a whole year

T-Mobile prepaid:

* 1 year expiration

Text cost

T-Mobile
10 cents to send and receive

PureTalk
5 cents to send and receive.

If you text a lot, this seems like a better deal.

So I can take my old ATT RAZR, purchase their SIM card, put it in the razr, and I have a working phone with 101 mins/month for $10? What if you use all 101 mins in the month? Can you purchase more?

Are the phones sold by Pure Talk unlocked?

The coverage doesnt look very good when compared to tracphone.

Thanks mahaloco! Just signed up for 2 phones (with the Flex 1500) at mingowireless.com for my parents. Was looking for something like this.

A nice upgrade over the T-Mobile 1 year card deal.

CommunistJack said: my dad would like puretalk more because he uses 50 mins max everymonth.That's the "beauty" of TMO prepaid. It only costs $10 per year to rollover the unused minutes. Granted, anything less than $100 card won't get you 10cpm, but for low volume users that really doesn't matter.

Puretalk = $120 for 1st year, $120 for 2nd year = $240 (2424 minutes) and he would keep building up minutes that he's not going to use.

TMO = $90 or less for 1st year, $10 for 2nd year = $100 (1035 minutes) and at max 50 min/month, he won't be paying for unused (aka wasted) minutes. Active before 1/12/10 and you get a total of 144 minutes. Add that to the 1000 + 35 and that gives him 1179 minutes for 2 years = average of 49 minutes / month all for $100 (or less). Hard to beat that!!

TMO prepaid is great, but you're paying for a whole yearDon't look at as paying for a year, look at it as paying for 9 months and getting 3 months free.
Edit: Better yet ... look at it as paying for 1 year and getting a 2nd year free.

OP is there tax on Pure Talk ?

Butcherboy said: OP is there tax on Pure Talk ?From FAQ:

Does the $10 monthly service charge include all taxes and fees? Yes. Pure TalkUSA is always only $10 per month and there are no additional charges in your monthly $10.00 charge. You will see no silly fees or taxes on your credit card or debit card statement - just one, simple charge from Telrite for $10.00.

completing said:
Text cost

T-Mobile
10 cents to send and receive

PureTalk
5 cents to send and receive.

If you text a lot, this seems like a better deal.

Wrong, T-Mobile charges 5 cents to receive a text and 10 cents to send one.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

I dunno if you have it in your area but metro is a great deal! 30.00 unlimited!
http://www.metropcs.com/plans/default.aspx

is this a better deal than prepaid t mobil with $100 card? sometimes you can buy the card for less

if you comepre the price and the coverage which deal is better you think?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: CommunistJack said: my dad would like puretalk more because he uses 50 mins max everymonth.That's the "beauty" of TMO prepaid. It only costs $10 per year to rollover the unused minutes. Granted, anything less than $100 card won't get you 10cpm, but for low volume users that really doesn't matter.

Puretalk = $120 for 1st year, $120 for 2nd year = $240 (2424 minutes) and he would keep building up minutes that he's not going to use.

TMO = $90 or less for 1st year, $10 for 2nd year = $100 (1035 minutes) and at max 50 min/month, he won't be paying for unused (aka wasted) minutes. Active before 1/12/10 and you get a total of 144 minutes. Add that to the 1000 + 35 and that gives him 1179 minutes for 2 years = average of 49 minutes / month all for $100 (or less). Hard to beat that!!

TMO prepaid is great, but you're paying for a whole yearDon't look at as paying for a year, look at it as paying for 9 months and getting 3 months free.
Edit: Better yet ... look at it as paying for 1 year and getting a 2nd year free.

But you are getting less minutes too. A lot less. My tween could burn 100 minutes in a week or less, 50 a month will drive him crazy.

Here is nice site that has a spreadsheet so you can see at a glance the costs/options of pre-paid plans: http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

and here is one for unlimited pre-paid: http://www.cellguru.net/unlimited_compare.htm

clearanceman said: But you are getting less minutes too. A lot less. My tween could burn 100 minutes in a week or less, 50 a month will drive him crazy.My reply was to a person that said their father averaged 50 min/month, but thought that Puretalk would be better for him.

Your tween can only burn the minutes that you put on, so what's the problem?

NoMoneyInMyWallet said: clearanceman said: But you are getting less minutes too. A lot less. My tween could burn 100 minutes in a week or less, 50 a month will drive him crazy.My reply was to a person that said their father averaged 50 min/month, but thought that Puretalk would be better for him.

Your tween can only burn the minutes that you put on, so what's the problem?

Well, this is one scenario that Puretalk is better. You put 1000 minutes on T-Mobile prepaid, the tween can blow it in a month, but with Puretalk it's capped at 100 minutes/mo.

what ever you buy prepaid cell phone, DON'T BUY Net10
!!!! First, their service is horrible, Second, there is a big chance to spend half month and over 10 hours calling to try to get the phone to be activated. I did not take my friends advice and bought a Net10
phone. Now I have already spent 6 days and 8 hours calling to try to activate my phone !! so rediculous!.I am so regretful not take my buddy's suggestion. there are many peoples complain this activation issue too.

Buy it, put in drawer. Remove a year later.

1200 minutes for your talking pleasure.

bpanepucci said: The coverage doesnt look very good when compared to tracphone.The coverage map looks pretty much like At&t prepaid (GoPhone) coverage, not very good at all. Tracfone gets the same coverage as At&t contract customers, not just their prepaid customers.

You can buy the 1000 minute T-Mobile cards for less than $90 most of the time by searching fat wallet. If not search eBay. Once you have gold status (1000 minute card) every time you add dollars you get an extra 15%.

Minutes really never expire as long as you add $10 every 365 days and you can add minutes for anyone.

I've been a happy customer for years and like the idea of switching phones whenever just by buying any unlocked GSM phone. I'm using one now that was never sold in the USA. Try doing that on a plan.

Waiting for pay-as-you-go internet access as they have in Europe. May never see it but it would be nice.

wxzcool said: what ever you buy prepaid cell phone, DON'T BUY Net10
!!!! First, their service is horrible, Second, there is a big chance to spend half month and over 10 hours calling to try to get the phone to be activated. I did not take my friends advice and bought a Net10
phone. Now I have already spent 6 days and 8 hours calling to try to activate my phone !! so rediculous!.I am so regretful not take my buddy's suggestion. there are many peoples complain this activation issue too.

Don't know what you are doing wrong it only took me 15 mins to activate and I'm an old fart that hates cell phones, this was for my kid

i agree i think t mobile is better especially regarding coverage.

mlhm5 said: You can buy the 1000 minute T-Mobile cards for less than $90 most of the time by searching fat wallet. If not search eBay. Once you have gold status (1000 minute card) every time you add dollars you get an extra 15%.

Minutes really never expire as long as you add $10 every 365 days and you can add minutes for anyone.

I've been a happy customer for years and like the idea of switching phones whenever just by buying any unlocked GSM phone. I'm using one now that was never sold in the USA. Try doing that on a plan.

Waiting for pay-as-you-go internet access as they have in Europe. May never see it but it would be nice.

T-Mobile prepaid:

* 1 year expiration

This is the best deal for someone who only needs the phone for emergencies or infrequent short call. This puts it at $8.33 a month for the first year. If you renew in a year with a $10 card it goes down to 83 cents or month, or if you divide the $110 by 24 months it is $4.58 a month. Also, T-Mobile doesn't play that "25 cents per call" or "$1.00 per day" extra charges to use it. You simply pay for the minutes you use.

As far as rollover, if you do not use the 100 minutes it means nothing

I am trying to figure out is the service goes into roaming or if all calls from anywhere in the country are the same rate.

coolbreeze said: Buy it, put in drawer. Remove a year later.

1200 minutes for your talking pleasure.

And $120.00 in cc charges.

CommunistJack said: zomg a gsm prepaid plan?
hmmm i know a couple people who would want this.
i just gotta wait till april for my T-Mobile contract to expire

Edit: Does anyone know of any other GSM prepaid plans?
although this plan is great for people who dont talk alot like my dad, i like to talk and keep my N95-1

P.S.
You can unlock your gsm phone with using any software by using this tool
http://www.DealExtreme.com/details.dx/sku.22581

i use it to unlock my $3 ATT phones and use it on T-Mobile

If it were simple and easy to do, it would have been right here on FW how to unlock the cheap $20/$15 Nokia 1661 Tmobile from
WalMart.
Someone please advise if it does really work.

jonchang said: Are the phones sold by Pure Talk unlocked?
i think so, but they are refurbished...

Agree with the avoid Net10
. Any problems and you're screwed.

Let's see switched from their GSM phone to their CDMA phone. Hours on phone with CS putting codes in to activate. Confirmed with supervisor to get my 298 minutes transferred to new phone. That never happened. On website, phone would never verify. Decided to port out starting at 9AM on last day of service. They screwed me on that, first claimed that my phone was inactive for 2 months. Lie, bought all my phones directly from them, received warning emails about needing to put more money on 2 days prior to service termination. Then claimed never got any port requests, then claimed account inactive which was now true but port should have been honored within 3-4 hours of initial request when phone was active. Then stated needed to add more money to "release" the number. Basically held number for ransom and since I wasn't going to give them more money stole it.

mahaloco said: An even better plan imo is the $100 prepaid plan from mingo wireless. 1500 minutes and 1yr of service. It runs on Verizon's network so the coverage is pretty good. Any Verizon cell phone should work. If you want an inexpensive phone, get a $20 Verizon prepaid phone from WalMart and activate it through Mingo (do not activate through Verizon).

At $100, the Flex 1500 plan gives you 125 minutes @ $8.33 per month ($0.0666/minute). The minutes are good for 365 days so no monthly roll over or refill hassles (the minutes do roll over with a refill). I got this deal for a relative who needed an emergency phone it and has worked out really well. I probably would not have made such a big deal about Mingo, but their customer service is great.
I like the Mingo, but the price it costs them, compared to what they charge for text is outrageous.
Chris.

Skipping 172 Messages...
AishaDad said: BuckyD said: I think I'm the only person over the age of 12 without a cell phone now! I guess it's time. This deal and the T Mobile deals look pretty good to me. Since I currently use "0" minutes anything would be better than I have. If I were to get this deal and just want to use it as a phone (no texts, pictures, etc..) which phone would you guys recommend to a middle aged guy? I will probably just throw it in my pocket so keep that in mind. Waffling between this and the T mobile...out here in Albuquerque the $10 a month phone looks good in town but DOA out of town unless you're on the interstate. T Modible looks to have a little better coverage. I would welcome input from the "experts". Looks like a few phones from T Mobile come with a "free" $25 refill card now. T-Mobile Deals Thanks!
You may want to look at the Net10 deal. Net10
LG 600G (refurb.) w/600 minutes, 120 days of service, $22 shipped!

Net 10
is a little expensive in the long run if you use very few minutes. However good coverage, another option would be a pageplus phone.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014