• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

1/5/10 EDIT : Now the NAS alone is just $299 but get the combo here :

*update combo dead 2/2

New System firmware ver.424

Adds even more functionality in this latest firmware update. The Newegg reviews complain about lack of support or that the eSata function cannot be used to mount the drive to a computer but it looks like the the firmware upgrade adds that functionality

lge.de said: ¢º Details for New Firmware :

1.Improvement : the former issue points

(1) [Schedules Backup]

a. support Multi Disc Backup for large-capacity file
b. display Schedule Backup progressive bar all the time
c. support selective Backup by file
d. support checking the formal Backup information with Backup History function.
e. support Blue-ray Log(log page up/down including log save function)

2.Addition : new features

(1) [File Viewer] change to Ajaxplorer U/I scheme
(2) support Quota function by user
-"Checking Quota¡± message at the LCD is displayed, while getting the
usage info of the system after configuring (modifying) HDD Volume.
- The message might be delayed if HDD User file system size is big.
(3) support eSATA/USB mount & SMB export function
(4) support NFS server function


Member Summary
Staff Summary

Anyone know why this triggered my topic alert like 8 times?!?!


PharmerNate said: Anyone know why this triggered my topic alert like 8 times?!?!

site had some lag for a about an hour and a half

BMWLVR82 said: PharmerNate said: Anyone know why this triggered my topic alert like 8 times?!?!

site had some lag for a about an hour and a half


I was wondering too, thanks.

I'm still getting alerts...I lost count.

Reviews on Newegg are all over the board. Might be hit and miss.

nhenny2005 said: I'm still getting alerts...I lost count.
Gmail tells me that I've gotten 27 so far (no joke).

/\/\ I've been having some issues with that over the past 6 months where I'll get multiple topic alerts for the same topic (sometimes 6-7 alert). (end threadjack)

AZImmortal said: nhenny2005 said: I'm still getting alerts...I lost count.
Gmail tells me that I've gotten 27 so far (no joke).

Same here. Looks like the alert messaging system got screwed with some time/sync issue.

I bought the n4b1 from Newegg last month....they had them for $300 shipped (no combo deals). I have been pleased by the basic functionaligy...and it is the best looking Nas I have seen.

OP.....I have not seen that firmware before. The U.S. site's firmware only goes to ver 2989. Have you seen any discussion of it? Will it turn my N4B1 into a German?

groch said: I bought the n4b1 from Newegg last month....they had them for $300 shipped (no combo deals). I have been pleased by the basic functionaligy...and it is the best looking Nas I have seen.

OP.....I have not seen that firmware before. The U.S. site's firmware only goes to ver 2989. Have you seen any discussion of it? Will it turn my N4B1 into a German?


I just updated my firmware to .4241 after seeing OP's link. It seems fine still with English menu as before.

Thanks fanfan, and OP, update worked great, I like the new ajax explorer. Note that the firmware update takes a while because it has to check each users quota (a new feature) after initial boot with the new firmware.

The blu-ray burner is a BH08NS20 for which LG has released 2.0 firmware...but so far I can only find the windows EXE version, not linux. That is my primary complaint about this very nice NAS...little support from LG, and no user groups I can find who hack. It would be perfect for my simple needs if I could throw Squeezebox Server onto it, but there is no version out for it.

bump : Nas dropped 200 dollars to 299. but for 10 bucks more you get a samsung 1TB ecogreen drive. Links in the OP

groch said:

The blu-ray burner is a BH08NS20 for which LG has released 2.0 firmware...but so far I can only find the windows EXE version, not linux. That is my primary complaint about this very nice NAS...little support from LG, and no user groups I can find who hack. It would be perfect for my simple needs if I could throw Squeezebox Server onto it, but there is no version out for it.


Can you pull the burner out of this and put it in another computer, or is the form factor no good?

Also, does anyone know what the max hard drive size this NAS will support, and what the max total storage it supports?

elaye said: groch said:
Can you pull the burner out of this and put it in another computer, or is the form factor no good?
Also, does anyone know what the max hard drive size this NAS will support, and what the max total storage it supports?


I could pull it out to change the firmware...the tray door plate is custom but the drive itself is standard. It supports 2 tb drives (the WD20EADS is on the list of approved drives.) One user has 4 1.5tb in it using RAID5. I do not know what the max storage is...they say "4tb or more."

This is a really fine deal for 310 with 1tb drive. Tempted to get another.

elaye said: groch said:

The blu-ray burner is a BH08NS20 for which LG has released 2.0 firmware...but so far I can only find the windows EXE version, not linux. That is my primary complaint about this very nice NAS...little support from LG, and no user groups I can find who hack. It would be perfect for my simple needs if I could throw Squeezebox Server onto it, but there is no version out for it.


Can you pull the burner out of this and put it in another computer, or is the form factor no good?

Also, does anyone know what the max hard drive size this NAS will support, and what the max total storage it supports?


I'm running 4x2TB in RAID10 and while I haven't opened the enclosure to look, the burner looks like it can be mounted into an external 5.25 enclosure.

Deleted...

fyi: combo dropped $10 to $299. edited op to reflect price change

Does anyone know if the new firmware is UPnP/DLNA compliant?

duplicate. sorry!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014