• Page :
  • Text Only
Doesn't work on DTMF if you need it (control answering machine, fax machine, home alarm and etc)
Something they don't tell you when you buy the unit.

My answering machine works with it..
I can turn it off and use the answering machine with the telo or voicemail

Dang. I just wrote an article for a magazine explaining that Ooma was completely free after the initial purchase. Now evidently there will be a montly "access fee/tax", which means that what I wrote won't be accurate.

Almost pulled the trigger but forund out there's no local phone numbers in my area yet. They said to check back.

I have recently installed the Ooma Hub (Hub+Scout combo purchased from Dell.com in December $192.59 shipped). I didn't use the scout yet. maybe I will sell it on.

The Hub took 15 minutes to install and activate. I put it between my Comcast cable modem and my router, and connected to my home wiring for active phone ports around the house. I still get ~10Mbps download, ~5Mbps upload speeds.

I also have a Dect 6.0 Panasonic KX-TG6445 system (Costco B&M December $99!) with 5 extensions and a speakerphone base which works perfectly. Call clarity is above Vonage quality, even on international calls. I programmed my Ooma number so the Panasonic dials directly for Ooma voice-mail, or I can use the built in answer-machine, so I don't need access to the hub. I do like the blue status light which goes red if there is a loss of internet connection.

Another reason for switching was to successfully fax to/from my Canon Multifunction MP830, which is a great relief after many partial successes with Vonage.

The combination has been good enough for me to activate the number porting from my 3 year old Vonage account which I shall terminate once complete. I currently have Vonage successfully forwarding to my temporary Ooma number.

Every time I have called ooma customer support I have waited less than 2 minutes for a technician who has helped me (with good spoken English). First call - I wanted to confirm that caller-ID name/number would continue to be free with basic service after Premier service trial for Ooma hub/scout customers (yes). Second call was to pre-pay international call account - 2-3c/min to UK. Third call was to confirm number porting progress. I haven't needed technical support as things went very smoothly.

The customer reviews on Amazon.com have excellent Q&A, worth reading for experiences and solutions. The Ooma forums also have lots of first-hand experience (though more often from the population with problems rather than satisfied set-it-and-forget-it customers).

The ooma.com site includes details on how the new plans affect the costs and features for older devices, I believe this is clear and fair. I chose the hub/scout because I felt it was better value for my usage patterns. Read the conditions before pulling the trigger.

Good luck!

HiTach said: .....connected to my home wiring for active phone ports around the house.

Does this then let you connect your DECT 6.0 speakerphone base to any active phone port around the house or do you have to connect it to the Ooma Hub?

ChalPhut said: HiTach said: .....connected to my home wiring for active phone ports around the house.

Does this then let you connect your DECT 6.0 speakerphone base to any active phone port around the house or do you have to connect it to the Ooma Hub?

Yes - My hub is next to the cable modem and the Ooma "Phone" port is connected to the wall jack in my family room. The base unit is connected to the wall jack in my kitchen. My multifunction Fax is connected to the wall jack in my study. The other Panasonic handsets throughout my house are wirelessly connected to the Panasonic base station. Switching to a Panasonic Dect 6.0 wireless phone system from a Siemens 2.4GHz system I lost the clicks I would get from my B/G WiFi interference.

Note, if you are using Ooma to replace a landline and use the home wiring, you must disconnect the exterior local landline service, normally on an exterior wall.

gotnagel said: *Yes there is a small fee for tax every year...
How else do you think this company will survive?

A recent healthy bump in venture funding adds to the fee income they are generating.

HiTach said: ChalPhut said: HiTach said: .....connected to my home wiring for active phone ports around the house.

Yes - My hub is next to the cable modem and the Ooma "Phone" port is connected to the wall jack in my family room. The base unit is connected to the wall jack in my kitchen. My multifunction Fax is connected to the wall jack in my study. The other Panasonic handsets throughout my house are wirelessly connected to the Panasonic base station. Switching to a Panasonic Dect 6.0 wireless phone system from a Siemens 2.4GHz system I lost the clicks I would get from my B/G WiFi interference.

Note, if you are using Ooma to replace a landline and use the home wiring, you must disconnect the exterior local landline service, normally on an exterior wall.

HiTach, that is the answer I was looking for. Thanks.

jdoftx said: Doesn't work on DTMF if you need it (control answering machine, fax machine, home alarm and etc)

Hmmm... according to this thread on Amaz0n it does DTMF just fine...

mpkb said: jdoftx said: Doesn't work on DTMF if you need it (control answering machine, fax machine, home alarm and etc)

Hmmm... according to this thread on Amaz0n it does DTMF just fine...

The ooma hub works on outgoing DTMF, incoming DTMF does not work. We can no longer access our answering machine from outside the house. It's not a huge deal as we just switched over to Ooma's voicemail. I believe the Ooma Teleo will work with DTMF in both directions.

anyone have trouble with using the call waiting on the hub? i installed one for my parents and they said they tried the talk and flash buttons and neither will switch over.

I saw it at Costco for $179.99 expired on 02/22/2010, hurry up if you want it.

gotnagel said: I missed the Amazon's sale for the Ooma telo but i purchased it from costco.com instead
$199 for the latest ooma, the Telo.

Personal experience:
The activation process takes about 5-10minutes.
However, It took me about 9 hours to get it working.
There are multiple ways to hook the Ooma.
Mine is Cable modem to router to Ooma Telo.
(I had to open the DMZ in my router's setup to do so.)

It is not a good idea to use DMZ, much less to your Telo. Just set up port forwarding for the necessary ports.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014