legalsounds.com 9 cents per song

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For those that were allofmp3 fans this is very similar to their site.

Anyhow, its a good selection and a good interface. You are able to directly use your credit card if you are comfortable doing so.

legalsounds.com

So I don't get 1) why you can do this 2) what makes some argue it is legal or not (it is legal in Russia) 3) Why if its legal in Russia they don't have to pay as much as us?

To me... I think since I am paying for it... I 'suppose thats more legit then just pulling from a torrent.

edit.. The site isn't new btw... I just noticed that I still had a balance and would accept payments.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
REPLY1: Thanks, but I'm pretty you've never heard of anything I've written. It's mostly Contemporary Christian/Praise g... (more)

Toddler (Jan. 06, 2010 @ 4:08p) |

I don't think the discussion is really about the legality or even morality of these sites, but more about the likelihood... (more)

Toddler (Jan. 06, 2010 @ 4:26p) |

Did you really in one post say... you write christian music... then said... stick to the strip clubs.... Thats funny ..... (more)

cheepdate25 (Jan. 06, 2010 @ 9:38p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Finally, iTunes now has some real competition.

I think they forgot the il in legal.

Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

There's nothing that'll ruin the good times quite like a $2 million settlement.

Have to either use a prepaid credit card, or a virtual credit card. Using a personal CC in the US will be denied, thinking it is stolen, since Russia is out of the realm of usual purchase history. They used to offer dialing a 900-number from you home phone to add funds.
All bitrates are > than 128, with most in the 160-196 range. Some of the classical stuff will venture into the 256 range.

cheepdate25 said: For those that were allofmp3 fans
Is allofmp3 gone? I always thought they were the same as mp3sparks.com, and I can still log in there just fine. I love mp3sparks, they let you choose your bitrate (even uncompressed WAV I think in some cases).

optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

Fine. Let's ruin it instead with the morality stuff. Like you're paying to steal music, for example.

This site has been up for at least two years... nothing new.

1lossir said: optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

Fine. Let's ruin it instead with the morality stuff. Like you're paying to steal music, for example.

I don't know about legalsounds.com, but I think a court last year ruled mp3sparks.com was legal, if that matters.

robby69 said: Have to either use a prepaid credit card, or a virtual credit card. Using a personal CC in the US will be denied, thinking it is stolen, since Russia is out of the realm of usual purchase history. They used to offer dialing a 900-number from you home phone to add funds.
All bitrates are > than 128, with most in the 160-196 range. Some of the classical stuff will venture into the 256 range.

Actually the personal CC they do accept (I used one that I keep for just this sort of thing... very low credit limit). They used to make you do some exchange for gold with a credit card from an outside source... then back to them etc etc... was so much of a pain I went back to torrents.... but appears they are more legit now. I thought it was always that Visa/MC wouldn't let allofmp3 process things becuase of RIAA.

Toddler said: 1lossir said: optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

I don't know about legalsounds.com, but I think a court last year ruled mp3sparks.com was legal, if that matters.

very interesting... I didnt' know that

Article

By the way, the tracks are 9 cents each, not 0.09 cents.

$0.09 ≠ 0.09

Will I go to jail if I download a few songs?

1lossir said: optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

isn't it funny that people PAY to STEAL? Come to my house and you can steal stuff and pay me too. We usually call it a garage sale though.

Even if this is somehow legal now (in the US) which I highly doubt, it surely would not be under the pending ACTA treaty, though who knows since it is all a big secret right now. If you are a fan of impotent actions (unless you are a registered lobbyist with money) you can contact your senator to ask that they put pressure on the US Office of Trade to release details of what is being negotiated (away).

cheepdate25 said: Toddler said: 1lossir said: optical said: Can we not ruin the good times with legality stuff?

very interesting... I didnt' know that

Article

You guys must be reading something different than I did. Because RIAA dropped the suit without prejudice doesn't mean that it's "legal." Also, because Russia has compulsory copyright law doesn't mean that a US citizen can access the site "legally." Likewise, because they ruled that the owner couldn't be prosecuted under the old Russian copyright law since it had changed, at least according to the article, apparently they are considering new charges under the new law.

They should start a similar site called legalcocaine.com. In both cases, the word legal would have about the same weight.

Any place have the The Pocket Fishermen "Amy Carter", Red Temple Spirits "Soft Machine", "Dreamings Enging", The Zulus "Hecktor & Lynn"?

Been searching since MP3's hit usenet.

JiggleTheHandle said: Any place have the The Pocket Fishermen "Amy Carter", Red Temple Spirits "Soft Machine", "Dreamings Enging", The Zulus "Hecktor & Lynn"?

Been searching since MP3's hit usenet.

No, because no one's ever heard of those.

PMonkeyDishwasher said: They should start a similar site called legalcocaine.com. In both cases, the word legal would have about the same weight.

Just like all of the products explicitly advertised as "premium". If they have to say it's premium, it probably isn't.

Thx for the link. I'll check it out. Right now i'm using alltunes

Toddler said: cheepdate25 said: For those that were allofmp3 fans
Is allofmp3 gone? I always thought they were the same as mp3sparks.com, and I can still log in there just fine. I love mp3sparks, they let you choose your bitrate (even uncompressed WAV I think in some cases).

My mp3sparks acct is still active too. Twice the price of legalsounds though at 196 bitrate
I think mp3sparks, allofmp3, alltunes is the one in the same?

I've actually used this site for at least 4 years with no issues. Used a credit card twice over that time period with only $25 put on each time and it's last me quite a while. Granted, I don't download a ton of music, but full albums at only around a dollar is nice. Anyway, I've had no security issues whatsoever over the last 4 years either. I highly recommend it, just don't want to promote it too much, so that it gets shut down for some reason.

http://mp3festa.com/ A site a friend has been getting mp3 from for a while, what do you all think ?

I use mp3panda and thats 5 cents/song and 50 cents/album + they often have promotions where they add money to your account.
From my understanding its in a gray area legally because they are paying royalties but I think the amount they are paying is for listening and not selling or something along those lines.

Nm appears to be 99c per album not song

any sites where one can purchase 320kbps mp3 ?

sandys said: any sites where one can purchase 320kbps mp3 ?
As mentioned earlier, you choose your own bitrate at mp3sparks.com (or flac, ogg, pcm & more).

I'm looking for a discounted version of Caspar Babypants' "More please" album for my nephew. Anyone find it on any of their discount mp3 sites. I've checked around.I found the first one on amiestreet for $3

RainFall said: I'm looking for a discounted version of Caspar Babypants' "More please" album for my nephew. Anyone find it on any of their discount mp3 sites. I've checked around.I found the first one on amiestreet for $3
Both of those albums are great. It's $8 to download from CDBaby.com. If I might suggest, indie artists and boutique releases seem a different animal to me than the latest Sting album. I hate to see those artists deprived of royalties which they really need to survive, although I suppose it's not much different than buying a used copy from half.com or eBay. Let your conscience be your guide.

http://questioncopyright.org/minute_memes/copying_is_not_theft

Just thought I'd clear that up for the 'steal' posters a few posts back.

OP: thanks, never hurts to have more resources for music.

So to sum up a few thoughts here....

Legal or Illegal - depends on what country you are talking about, who's laws govern the internet etc.... if it was as clear cut and obvious as many posters say then you guys should go get a job as an attorney general and save the thousands of attorneys from many countries debating this.

Morality - Regardless of the legality there is a moral issue present. That is a personal decision so make your own choice.

Quality - For 9 cents this is a great deal for the quality (AVG about 192Kbps). If you are looking for really high quality a few posters talked about mp3sparks and I have to check that out since they do have flac.

FussGirl said: I use mp3panda and thats 5 cents/song and 50 cents/album + they often have promotions where they add money to your account.

Thanks, they have a special going thru 1/10/09. Buy $30, get $30 added to your account free. Makes songs 2.5-cents & albums 25-cents. Can't choose bitrate, but alot of albums have 320kbs on the few I checked.

cheepdate25 said: To me... I think since I am paying for it... I 'suppose thats more legit then just pulling from a torrent.

LOL, that's some fine thinking

avhokie said: cheepdate25 said: To me... I think since I am paying for it... I 'suppose thats more legit then just pulling from a torrent.

Seems like fine thinking to me, considering that only one of those ways will result in you personally getting sued by the RIAA.

Toddler said: avhokie said: cheepdate25 said: To me... I think since I am paying for it... I 'suppose thats more legit then just pulling from a torrent.

Seems like fine thinking to me, considering that only one of those ways will result in you personally getting sued by the RIAA.

If your primary goal is to not get sued by the RIAA, download from newsgroups

Please note, from my experience with legalsounds.com, some local artists have had their albums listed on this site, without their knowledge. When they found them, legalsounds.com ignored the requests for paying the artists commission on the songs. They also ignored takedown notices. While the site may be legal in Russia, it's not here. I'd have a very hard time spending even $0.01 per song with this company. Paying someone else to steal for me? No thanks. That's like hiring a hit-man so my hands are clean. I just can't do it.

"I'm no hit-man, but I play on on PC."

Skipping 24 Messages...
Toddler said: squinky86 said: EDIT: I sincerely hope you're successful in your career. PM me with some of the songs you've had a hand in writing; I'm always up for listening to new stuff.

EDIT2: Serious question I just thought of: If you're not getting paid for music off of legalsounds.com, wouldn't you prefer people save their money and get it from p2p?

REPLY1: Thanks, but I'm pretty you've never heard of anything I've written. It's mostly Contemporary Christian/Praise genre, and I'm not very successful. I've worked on hundreds of jingles, though.

REPLY2: No way, not with the RIAA and the government out to get you. That's the last place I'd be. Stick to the strip clubs that don't let you touch the girls, and stay away from the ones that constantly get raided.

Did you really in one post say... you write christian music... then said... stick to the strip clubs.... Thats funny ... Good luck in the career whichever path you end up on... that really made me laugh.

My goal was to bring to light the idea of a "deal" for those who otherwise get crap with torrents or usenext.... some prefer not to be robbed by itunes (where do I go to put a return for a crap download?). I spent probably $200 on itunes for the holiday cards I bought and for that I think someone a ways back said that Napster was great for thh industry cause everyone was talking about music.... i 100% agree.

Most of the music I get is somewhat random. On itunes I am not going to go and just try some random thing. Its goign to only be a song I have heard. Or in the case of legalsounds... the top album in the UK is Paolo Nutini and the top song is Candy... sounds like Jimmy Buffet went drinking with the eagles and formed a band. So now I have some new tunes...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014