• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Barebones kit contains:
* AMD AM3 Athlon II 245 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor (45nm)
* MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 AM3/AM2+ Nvidia Geforce 6150SE MicroATX Motherboard
* Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 Desktop Memory
* GIGABYTE GZ-PH2A3 ATX Case
* PX+480RDF 480W Power Supply

Link

Mwave
See Mwave promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

Anyone have any thoughts on how this compares to the Intel deal they're offering for the same price?
Link

JustinR said: Anyone have any thoughts on how this compares to the Intel deal they're offering for the same price?
Link

Pretty comparable. Low end motherboards both with mid level CPU's.
Boils down to subjective preferences - the AMD Vs Intel and nVidia Vs Intel chipset/integrated graphics.

AMD combo could be upgraded to the current high performance Phenom II AM3 (95W or less) CPU's.
Intel upgrades would be limited by the socket (still plenty of upgrade choices).

Slight advantage to AMD combo if planning to use triple-monitor setup (nVidia onboard + nVidia video card) for the small fraction of people who would spend same $$ on monitors as on the computer

If i'm looking for a low power computer to run home automation and double as a NAS would this be a good purchase?

Hi, I am kind new here and don't know much about barebones kit. I am really interested in this system. Can I just assemble the components? I know I would need win XP and DVD drive. What else?

phate2008 said: Hi, I am kind new here and don't know much about barebones kit. I am really interested in this system. Can I just assemble the components? I know I would need win XP and DVD drive. What else?

A hard drive should be all you need to add to this to have a working computer.
You can assemble the components. Everything only goes in one way, so there isn't a whole lot to it and not too much to mess up. Use care when installing the motherboard into the case.

Thanks chuck101! appreciate your reply.

Chuck101 said: phate2008 said: Hi, I am kind new here and don't know much about barebones kit. I am really interested in this system. Can I just assemble the components? I know I would need win XP and DVD drive. What else?

A hard drive should be all you need to add to this to have a working computer.
You can assemble the components. Everything only goes in one way, so there isn't a whole lot to it and not too much to mess up. Use care when installing the motherboard into the case.

I liked the Intel combo because of the 4 SATA ports, but ultimately decided on the AMD combo because of the overall reviews I read that seems to make the AMD combo more over-clockable, as well as the gigabit network speed (I wanted to start upgrading all my PCs to gigabit, so might as well build one with it). This PC also won't be used as some kind of heavy workhorse so even just 1-2 drives with 750-1.5GB capacity should be enough for me for now.

Another reason I liked this combo is that, with all the shopping I've done on this site, I actually already have a hard drive, DVD burner, and video card that are just waiting for a system. So while I did pay at some point for those 3 things several months ago, I didn't just buy them now, so it makes the out-of-pocket effect feel like it really is just $155 for a new build.

ahreno said: If i'm looking for a low power computer to run home automation and double as a NAS would this be a good purchase?
No.
Pick up a mini-itx with an Atom processor, like this one: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/990027/

ok i just got this today and its pre assembled.

cheapassme said: ok i just got this today and its pre assembled.

same here, i was expecting to spend this weekend (at least one day) to assemble it.

but i was surprised that it came like that, and since i already had a disk drive and dvd burner ready to go, i popped them in, installed Linux, and in less than 30 mins, had a fully working system. even if we could buy individual pieces over several months for less than this (like some other certain sites discuss), having it bundled and then assembled together definitely added a time advantage that i appreciate.

thanks Mwave and OP!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014