• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
TechLite: Tactical LED: 2x pack, at Costco: 3x AAA: "160 Lumens" $15 A/C @ Costco B/M Start 3/11

TechLite: Tactical LED: 2x pack, at Costco: 3x AAA: "160 Lumens" $15 A/C @ Costco B/M Start 3/11

This is a Costco coupone deal start 3/11 to 4/3

For info only LINK

THIS package says that they contain CREE XPC L.E.D.s - 160 Lumens;
for whatever that's worth.

this flashlight is NOTHING like the 9 led ones i've been buying for a buck,
though they use the same 3 aaa battery holders.

the switch, in the back, glows red when the power drops to the 'danger' zone.
they seem quite bright and focused (adjustable).

thanks tooslow

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Anyone pick these up yet?

Wondering if they are POS or not. Some old posts about the batteries draining even while the flashlight was turned off.

slappycakes said: Anyone pick these up yet?

Wondering if they are POS or not. Some old posts about the batteries draining even while the flashlight was turned off.

I'm curious too. I've got a similar flashlight from Sam's Club (some generic brand, $30 for two, "aircraft grade aluminum") and I'm really happy with it - $15 AC is really cheap so I'm wondering if the quality is there.

I just picked this up today. Not that I'm one of those flashlight nuts and I'm sure there are probably brighter ones out there, but wow this is the brightest flashlight I've ever seen.

The last flashlight I bought was that tripod Stanley 9-LED/9 batteries one, I knew that thing is pretty dim, but man this little thing completely puts that big Stanley to shame. Now I know what "160 Lumens" is like.

The aluminum body is very solid, the edges are a bit sharp though. Nicely damped (but somewhat stiff) focus twisting ring. The beam focus hardly makes a difference though. I'd say it's well worth $7.50 each.

I picked up a set today, and they are indeed well worth $15.

I picked up a two pack and they are great. Actually throw a beam way further than the typical 9-20 led types. Similar in intenity to larger mag lites....It looks like the ansi specs listed on the package shows a 4hr run time with 100m beam, features a low battery indicator, but is there a leakage when turned off? The feature that might cause battery leakage is the low battery red light on the button...

The low beam appears to show 0.21A, and high 0.38A, and the off mode (without the red low indicator glowing) shows about 0.2mA (milliamps or 0.0002A) current on my multimeter.

So that means there is a drain. So a typical AAA has a 1200mAhr rating, meaning the 3 have 3600mAhr, but at 20% when the warning light comes on (monitoring circuit)2800mAhr should last 2800/0.2=1400hr or about 2 months...Thats the theory. So the lights are great, but at least for the one I tested, every couple months (maybe longer) the batteries may need replacing.

If you are storing them for a long time, maybe best to store them with the back disconnected or battery pack removed....

Hmmmmm....

Butcherboy said: TechLite: Tactical LED: 2x pack, at Costco: 3x AAA: "160 Lumens" $15 A/C @ Costco B/M Start 3/11

This is a Costco coupone deal start 3/11 to 4/3

For info only LINK

THIS package says that they contain CREE XPC L.E.D.s - 160 Lumens;
for whatever that's worth.

this flashlight is NOTHING like the 9 led ones i've been buying for a buck,
though they use the same 3 aaa battery holders.

the switch, in the back, glows red when the power drops to the 'danger' zone.
they seem quite bright and focused (adjustable).

thanks tooslow

Wheres the coupon?

No coupon needed. The price drop is in store and automatic at the register.

Thank you, just to clarify doesnt A/C mean after coupon?

Trickracen said: Thank you, just to clarify doesnt A/C mean after coupon?

Yes it usually does. Quite possibly some areas might need a coupon. But, in the Los Angeles area, there is no coupon needed. My apologies if in actuality you need a coupon.

moorefc said: I picked up a two pack and they are great. Actually throw a beam way further than the typical 9-20 led types. Similar in intenity to larger mag lites....It looks like the ansi specs listed on the package shows a 4hr run time with 100m beam, features a low battery indicator, but is there a leakage when turned off? The feature that might cause battery leakage is the low battery red light on the button...

The low beam appears to show 0.21A, and high 0.38A, and the off mode (without the red low indicator glowing) shows about 0.2mA (milliamps or 0.0002A) current on my multimeter.

So that means there is a drain. So a typical AAA has a 1200mAhr rating, meaning the 3 have 3600mAhr, but at 20% when the warning light comes on (monitoring circuit)2800mAhr should last 2800/0.2=1400hr or about 2 months...Thats the theory. So the lights are great, but at least for the one I tested, every couple months (maybe longer) the batteries may need replacing.

If you are storing them for a long time, maybe best to store them with the back disconnected or battery pack removed....

Hmmmmm....

Thanks for measuring the "leak". This is why I am not jumping in on this deal. The low battery indicator is a nice feature, but I don't like that it is "always on". Is there a way to disconnect the indicator? If so, I may buy it.

I also wish these were powered by AA instead of AAA. I read the adjustable beam isn't that adjustable, either. Meaning, it doesn't have a sharp, focused beam option. Can anyone confirm?

Why can't flashlight makers have a separate switch or twist the head to select what mode the light is in. I returned a pair of nice led flashlights to costco that had high/low/strobe via the on/off switch. I could not stand having to click the on/off button three or four times just to get to the mode I wanted.

I got a small led flashlight that was part of a multi-tool flashlight combo last year at costco that lets you twist the head of the light for low or high. I really like that method.

Hi moorefc,

Thanks for the test results. I agree with you that these have a parasitic power draw when off but my numbers are coming up differently than yours. By the way I don't think that you should be adding the capacity of the three batteries together as they are in series. If they were in parallel you could add the capacities but in series they are providing the same mAh as a single battery but at a voltage that equals the sum of their individual voltages (approx 4.5V). My results seem to indicate a storage time of around 8 months for a properly functioning flashlight in storage (still kinda sucks). Now my number two flashlight is a different story. It must be defective as it looks to kill the batteries in about 6 weeks.

Flashlight #1

Off: 0.178 mA
On 1: 174 mA
On 2: 322 mA
Flashing: 132 mA
Low battery warning: 3.3 ma

Estimated battery life when off: 1000 mAh AAA battery/0.178 mA parasitic draw = 5618 hours or 234 days

Flashlight #2

Off: 0.992 mA
On 1: 146 mA
On 2: 283 mA
Flashing: 118 mA
Low battery warning: 3.21 ma

Estimated battery life when off: 1000 mAh AAA battery/0.992 mA parasitic draw = 1008 hours or 42 days

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_battery
http://www.gizmology.net/batteries.htm

I got a pair and they are great. The focus spot light does not work that well. I use rechargable AAA so that will safe money vs buying regular battery.

I am glad I did not get them when they just came out at Costco at the regular price of $20. These are the brightest LED flashlight I ever owned. I don't know how true the constant power is because my rechargable battery runs at a slight lower voltage at 1.2v instead of regular alkaline at 1.5v. 1.2v x 3 = 3.6 voltage vs. 1.5 x 3 = 4.5 voltage. There is a .9 voltage difference. The brightness is noticable.

These are bright. Focus does absolutely nothing at all. Strobe is great, perfect as a bike light.

Not sure if I got bad batteries in my pack (only opened 1 side of the blister pack), but I used mine for the first time over this past weekend for 30 mins (almost continuous) and they ran out only to have the button blink red when I read the instructions to find out it was low power indicator. I am considering returning as one main reason I bought the LED besides brightness is the low power consumption.

Anyone else have theirs run out sooner than expected???

I just bought this flashlight yesterday and found out that it does have a momentary feature just press and hold the button (takes 2sec or so to come on) and it will light up on high mode let go and it'll turn off also if you don't want to cycle through all the feature i.e. you want to turn off at low mode just press and hold the button till high mode comes on then let go if you are on high mode and want to just turn it off hold the button for no less then 3sec. then let go.

Well, it's an LED. They don't have much beam width without a diffuser so focusing, or fattening is problematic. With an incandescent, the beam width starts at 180+ degrees and can be reflected down to a spot. LEDs start out close to a spot and would need a front deflector to spread the beam. Also, the sharp edges on the lens ring are actually designed as a strike weapon. Part of the "Tactical" label. The strobe feature, and the low battery indicator should go away in favor of a momentary-on switch and click on-off. But then we'd be paying $75 for the actual police version.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014