• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
costco.com has the Kodak Z950 digital camera for $160+shipping +tax. Shipping for me was $12.59.

In the coupon book, it stated the price will be $180+ tax, so this is less than they had stated in their coupon book. This gets great reviews on Amazon. Unlike the canons, it records in 720p AND can zoom while recording!!

You could wait for the canon sx220 to come out later this month, but will pay almost twice as much to be able to zoom while record (although much bigger zoom).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11509669&whse=B...

Features and Benefits:

The 10X Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon Optical Zoom Lens (35–350 mm) zooms in fast to deliver extraordinary creative performance
Optical image stabilization: Capture sharp, steady shots when shooting at long zoom ranges
12MP means you can make stunning prints up to 30 × 40 in.
0.3 second click-to-capture speed means you can capture that challenging action shot without delay
Get a good look at your pictures on the big, bright 3 in. color LCD (230,000 dots)
Whether you shoot your pictures vertically or horizontally, view them right side up with auto picture rotation
Kodak's Smart Capture feature
Intelligent scene detection—detects and analyzes scene conditions
Intelligent capture control—automatically sets camera settings including exposure, focus and ISO for clear, sharp pictures even in low light and challenging situations
Intelligent image processing—reduces noise and clears up dark shadows for vibrant, crisp details and true-to-life colors
Take stunning HD pictures in 16:9 format
Capture HD quality video at 30 fps with sound and on-camera editing
Multiple scene modes
Portrait modes—portrait, night portrait, backlight, self
Landscape modes—landscape, night landscape, fireworks
Bright scene modes—sport, beach, snow
Action modes—sport, children
Text/Documents mode—ensures sharp text when photographing documents
Manner/Museum mode—use when sound or flash are not desired
Catch those great smiles—face detection locates faces and automatically adjusts camera settings for great shots of friends and family
See the details in low-light conditions and fast-action situations with high ISO (up to 3200)
Panorama stitch mode combines up to three shots into one large picture on-camera
Compatible with SD/SDHC Memory Cards
Dimensions: W × H × D: 4.3 × 2.6 × 1.4 in.
Weight: 8.2 oz (223 g) (without SD card and battery)
What's Included:

Kodak Z950 Digital Camera
KODAK Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery
USB AC adapter charging solution
USB cable
Wrist strap
User Guide with KODAK EASYSHARE Software
Bonus Accessories:

2GB 150x SD Card
150x speed / Class 6
22.5MB/sec
Waterproof
Dustproof
ESD (Electro Discharge Proof)
Extreme Temperature Resistance -40° F – 185° F (-40° C – 85° C)
[Model Z950]

Member Summary
Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Decent reviews at Amazon (4 and 1/2 stars average, 31 reviews): Link

More detailed reviews:

Common criticisms: the 720p video doesn't look any sharper than standard def video to some users, and the camera does not include an AV cable (for connecting to your TV), which Kodak charges an extra $25 for.

This is a good alternative to the Panasonic ZS3 if you can't afford that. It will be around $188 with tax and shipping for me. The ZS3 is $240 shipped from Amazon right now so you are looking at about a $57 difference (assuming a 2GB card is worth $5). If its up to me I will just wait around for a better deal on the ZS3 but this is also a good camera for the money. Probably one of the better compact cameras that Kodak has released in a while.

J&R has the ZS3 for $229 shipped starting yesterday:
lumix

Right, and subtract another 5% BCB and that is enough reason to go with the ZS3 instead.

Yes, it is less expensive.

But its 10x zoom starts from 35mm. And its picture quality cannot touch ZS3's.

of course there will be better camera out there that cost more. I just remember when costco had the deal on panny zs3, people said the canon sx200 is better for a little more. You just need to decide how much you want to spend amd when do you need it.

During the zs3 deal at costco i remember holding off because of something i read, but now i can't remember it. Perhaps low light shooting, or was that on the zr3?

For some who absolutely do not want to go over $200, this is a very good all around camera.

I must admit with the J&R deal at $230 for zs3, that is tempting...if only i can remember why i put off the zs3 in the first place.

superflysocal said: of course there will be better camera out there that cost more. I just remember when costco had the deal on panny zs3, people said the canon sx200 is better for a little more. You just need to decide how much you want to spend amd when do you need it.

During the zs3 deal at costco i remember holding off because of something i read, but now i can't remember it. Perhaps low light shooting, or was that on the zr3?

For some who absolutely do not want to go over $200, this is a very good all around camera.

I must admit with the J&R deal at $230 for zs3, that is tempting...if only i can remember why i put off the zs3 in the first place.

I've been shooting with the zs3 for about a year now, paid a lot more than $229. The only things that I find off-putting: image noise (chronic problem with Panny's small sensors), especially when the camera defaults to a higher ISO setting; complete lack of any manual controls; and their choice of AVCHD-lite as a video codec, which requires some time-consuming video conversion on my PC if I want to share the files with family members who are not running Windows 7. On my stills, I definitely spend time cleaning up noise in Photoshop on a significant percentage of my pix. Otherwise it has been a simply amazing little camera for travel, and the versatile 12x zoom is a godsend.

I just bought a Canon SX200. Now I'm debating which one I should have purchased. Hmm

ktg said:
I've been shooting with the zs3 for about a year now, paid a lot more than $229. The only things that I find off-putting: image noise (chronic problem with Panny's small sensors)

People wanting image noise control without going the DSLR route might want to check out the Fuji bridge cameras. Traditional manual zoom, robust build, nice styling, image quality over pixel count.

I have the 6000 from a few years ago and it truly is a bridge camera between super zooms and DLRS.

JiggleTheHandle said: ktg said:
I've been shooting with the zs3 for about a year now, paid a lot more than $229. The only things that I find off-putting: image noise (chronic problem with Panny's small sensors)

People wanting image noise control without going the DSLR route might want to check out the Fuji bridge cameras. Traditional manual zoom, robust build, nice styling, image quality over pixel count.

I have the 6000 from a few years ago and it truly is a bridge camera between super zooms and DLRS.

Like i said, everytime you go up $40-50, you can go up in class of cameras as well as quality. For instance:
+40-50 for Panny ZS3, another $40 or 50 gets you sx200, another $50 gets you sx210 (when it comes out), another $50 gets you s90 and so on.

Keep in mind this is a sub-200 camera (although most placces have it for at or little more than 200). It would not be fair to bring in zs3 or bridge cameras in discussion. i think the panny zr1 and canon sx110 (no HD videos) would be its direct competitor. Any comments on how this would compare against panasonic zr-1 and canon sx110?

edit: oh and that zs-3 is now at $280 at j&r

superflysocal said:

Like i said, everytime you go up $40-50, you can go up in class of cameras as well as quality. For instance:
+40-50 for Panny ZS3, another $40 or 50 gets you sx200...

Don't you think that is backwards? The ZS3 is regarded as a better camera than the SX200, so why would you pay more?

I have the Kodak and generally like it. My biggest gripe is that the shutter lag is worse than I'm used to (my old camera was a Kodak DX7440, which was exceptionally fast). one thing I particularly like is that while the Kodak is easy to use, it also has a lot more options for manual controls than the Panasonic, which is important to me (creative control).

Costco also has the 12MP panasonic ZR1 for ~$180 (currently $40 off their normal price), it has 8x optical zoom, 25mm wide angel and does HD video

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014