• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
marsilies said: iatacs19 said: It's cheaper if you buy it from Amazon UK. It's ~$44 including shipping and it's narrated by Attenborough.

Life by BBC - from Amazon UK

The UK Blu-ray is all-region, but it's encoded at 1080i/50, which only a handful of US BD players/ HDTVs can handle.

The US Blu-ray linked to in the OP will be uncut with the David Attenborough narration, in a video standard compatible with US equipment (probably 1080i/60). Like with Planet Earth, there will be a separate US Blu-ray release with the Oprah narration, so just make sure you purchase the correct US version.

See here for discussion of the UK Blu-ray:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/995549

See here for a list of 1080i/50 compatible US Blu-ray players:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/95245-us-blu-...

Only 1 person claims it does not work, BUT he bought a Region 2 set. All others say the BBC region free UK blurays work just fine in the PS3.

Is the video the same between the two? Wondering if you could just rip the US video and UK audio, put both together for a US compatible video signal.

Probably defeats the point of Blu-Ray in the first place though.....

I didn't even know there was a narration in British-english.

Now, I have nothing against Oprah, she's great. Unfortunately, when you hear her narrating "Life," you just don't get the inherent impression that "this is a person whose interest in science is total, and a lifelong passion." It's more like, "meh, she's doing a reasonably good job of it."

raiderj said: Is the video the same between the two? Wondering if you could just rip the US video and UK audio, put both together for a US compatible video signal.
The US Blu-ray in the OP has the UK audio narration by David Attenborough, so there's no reason to have to combine the two.

Nice...just saw this on Animal Planet and thought....there has GOT to be another version of this somewhere. SO glad to hear Attenborough is the one who did it.

I love me some Oprah...but as has been mentioned many times, it's just a bit.....off and distracting for me.

This is going on my B-Day list!

Hmm....haven't seen more than an episode and a half...but I'm disappointed to read that they used several scenes over and over again across the episodes. That's just not very elegant.

iatacs19 said: Only 1 person claims it does not work, BUT he bought a Region 2 set. All others say the BBC region free UK blurays work just fine in the PS3.
Were they playing it on a UK PS3, or US PS3? A UK PS3 will play 1080i50 fine, but the US PS3s don't.

From another AVS thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1117941
LIST OF 1080i50 ENCODED BLU-RAY MOVIES
Title	Region	Country	Blu-ray Studio	UPC
Life	All	UK	BBC/2Entertain	5051561000553
US Blu-ray players that CANNOT play 1080i50 contents
Panasonic BD55
Sony BDP-S350
Sony PS3

thank god theres a DA version.

Opera isn't bad. But IDK, she doesn't seem documentary enough for me.

fatyohoo said:

Hey just noticed I'm now a "senior member" after this post

Congratulations!

diffeldoof said: fatyohoo said:

Congratulations!

LOL thank you!

PharmerNate said: Nice...just saw this on Animal Planet and thought....there has GOT to be another version of this somewhere. SO glad to hear Attenborough is the one who did it.

I love me some Oprah...but as has been mentioned many times, it's just a bit.....off and distracting for me.

This is going on my B-Day list!

yes it is distracting. It is the same for me with the animated movies - it ruins it for me if I recognize who the voice actor is. Oprah also wasn't very "lively" narrating it.

fatyohoo said: I so want to watch this, especially on my new 65" I have the Attenborough Planet Earth. I saw the Oprah version on Discovery for all 10 minutes and turned it off. I'll wait until I pickup the real version before I watch.

Why June, what's wrong with April, or now???

The reason for June 1st is that Discovery Channel is showing this Life series in 11 weeks as soon as 11th episode shown on May 30th ... then the series release on June 1st. Anyway Amazon sells BBC series, Discovery.com sells Oprah one. Discovery one I believe is shorter than the BBC version.

My eyes are so programmed to spot BCB deals (Bing Cash Back) I mistakingly read BBC as BCB! LOL!!

Great post, OP!

iatacs19 said: Only 1 person claims it does not work, BUT he bought a Region 2 set. All others say the BBC region free UK blurays work just fine in the PS3.
Impossible because a Region A PS3 can not play 1080i content at 50Hz. Here's a quote from someone I know and not just a random person on the web:

"I couldn't wait, nor did I want to buy the Oprah version, so I purchased on Amazon UK. Indeed, the US PS3 does not play it. I purchased a Samsung BD-P1600 just for this, and though it plays the video, it judders quite a bit."Text

And here is one from a different person:

"The main presentations are definitely not 1080p. Maybe if your PS3 settings are set to only 1080p forcing it that way maybe. But on my PS3 it defaults to 1080i. However, I'm using a UK PS3. I've just tried using a USA PS3, the main logos and such play fine, but then the disc goes dead with a black screen. I even changed the display settings to 1080i and 480p only and it still didn't want to know. It should be noted if the content was 1080/24 the disc would play fine anywhere in the world, but it doesn't. My test failed. My PS3 from the USA does not play LIFE from the UK. Sorry."

Also not only do you need a player to handle 1080i/50Hz but your HDTV may or may not handle it, so if you're not 100% sure both can, you're simply rolling the dice buying this. Just wait for the US version which will not only work 100% but will also be in 1080p.

FYI, bought and received the Amazon.UK version...
Plays with no problems on LGBD390 and Panasonic 50G10
$28 and it came from the UK to North Carolina in less than a week. Ordered on the 25th received on the 31st.
And bought it because of Attenborough instead of Sigourney Weaver - and the great price.

ddavidch said: FYI, bought and received the Amazon.UK version...
$28 and it came from the UK to North Carolina in less than a week. Ordered on the 25th received on the 31st.
And bought it because of Attenborough instead of Sigourney Weaver - and the great price.

I hope you bought the correct one? We are discussing LIFE, not Planet earth, so it Oprah vs. Attenborough, not Weaver vs. Attenborough.

ddavidch said: FYI, bought and received the Amazon.UK version...

If you only paid $28 then you bought Planet Earth and not Life. There's no question that PE from the UK will work on all Blu-ray players.

I'll take the Attenborough version of these any day. He's actually crawled around in places Overly Wimpy never would even consider going. It's not just his narration style. He wrote it. He knows his stuff. The Canadian broadcast version uses his narration, too.

dsoler said: The Life Series is extraordinary but Oprah's voice does not do the series justice!! I think it was a horrible choice! Can anyone confirm if the David Attenborough BluRay will work in the U.S.? I've heard that it is not compatible and I've heard that it should be. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
Yes, it works. No problems. I recently bought from Amazon UK, it came out ~ $28 and took a week. Popped it in my player and PS3, both work fine. Amazing series!

I am still skeptical about it. I placed my order than canceled at UK Amazon. Just to be safe, I will wait for June.

For those who want to know more about playing the UK version of BBC Life with a US Blu-ray player ==> http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/95245-us-blu-ray-players-50hz-compatibility.html
FYI, BBC Life sold at Amazon UK is 1080/50i

I agree, Oprah's voice is a major distraction. The writing and her voice are not a good match for sure!

I have every episode of 'Life' on my DVR my wife continues to rave but i will not spoil this. D.A. is the only way to watch these for the first time. I Learned this with the Planet Earth Series, i mean i really don't fully understand why there is always two versions. Is this a decision made by American influence? Either way i hope i can price match this Amazon deal at Best Buy? Or ..they don't match online competitors wonder if Target still has same prices and promos as Amazon...Anyone know? Thanks..

Discovery Channel is showing this series now.

AceBB6 said: Oprah's voice was surprisingly pleasant. I was just waiting for the part where she screams, " Everybody gets a free car!!!!."

BTW, I hate you now. Every Sunday evening when I watch Life I'm waiting for Oprah to yell "You Get A CAR!!!!"

Have to agree on the Attenborough preference here, the brits are horrible at just about everything except voice overs. Everyone has to excel at something, so we'll gladly let the brits have this one. If only the Revolution was fought with voices and not strategy...

On a related note, I keep expecting Dr. Phil to make an appearance and ask "What was that snake thinking, mating like that in the water? He needs to get over himself, is what he needs to do."

And then of Course Dr. Oz would come on and discuss alternative methods of healing a buffalo leg wound so the komodos would have to wait even longer.

Reports are coming in that Sony fixed the issue with the PS3 not playing the UK version of Life with the 3.30 update.

"In addition, the issue with some region-free Blu-ray disks (such as the BBC’s Life) has been fixed, leading some to speculate that the Blu-ray profile within the PS3 has been updated in preparation for 3D support."

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/04/22/ps3-firmware-3-30s-hidden...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014