• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just paid 11.95 for 6 months and 300 minutes per month! I will extend as well.

rated:
Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted their Onstar dealings on this thread. It prepared me for when I called Onstar to negotiate the service for my mom. Just to give a recent update about what is available, I JUST got off the phone with a rep and I got 15 months service (Safe & Sound), 100 free minutes, and 6 months of navigation (that will NOT automatically resubscribe) for $149 without any pushing on my end at all. So, who knows what else one might be able to get out of them. Rep was very pleasant and only put me on hold for a minute or two while he did his thing. Hope this helps someone in the future!

rated:
Thanks for the info. I will be renewing in 2 months and will try using this to bargain out a good deal.

rated:
Contract expired yesterday, just called the 888 number and got bounced around several times. I had previously received the 14 months at $148. Either I didn't ask the right questions this time, or they are now only limiting the offer but the best I could get was 12 months for $149.

Ended up canceling and not renewing the service altogether as I am getting annoyed that GM makes us go through this gauntlet every time.

rated:
I received email renewal notice and tried to renew for multi-year plan online. I couldn't find that feature on the site - it kept going to annual renewal
I called and asked if there was a way to renew for 3 years. They quoted $499 for 3 years. I asked if there wasn't a better rate available. After about 2 minutes on hold, they offered $399 for 3 years and I renewed. I also had previously received 14 months at $148 with 100 extra minutes, which does not seem to be available.

rated:
Coraltime said:   After about 2 minutes on hold, they offered $399 for 3 years and I renewed. I also had previously received 14 months at $148 with 100 extra minutes, which does not seem to be available.

It seems they are matching the price of Safe & Sound subscription to the GM family discounts for the people without. So, we know we can get to the GM family discounted prices at least if you call & negotiate. Here are something to negotiate with. Tell 'em you heard somewhere or from friends.

Safe & Sound multi-year savings (w/ GM family discount):
1 yr: $149.00
2 yr: $289.00
3 yr: $399.00

Directions & Connections multi-year savings (w/ GM family discount):
1 yr: $249.00
2 yr: $469.00
3 yr: $659.00

On the Directions & Connections, I do remember I was offered $199.00/yr, and I think others on this thread were offered this rate as well.

Good luck

rated:
I'm so glad I found this thread. I always negotiate my XM radio but have paid full price for OnStar since I bought my 2008 car. I'm kicking myself in the head. I mainly use Directions and Connections, so I called to cancel since my cancellation date is almost here. They offered me the $199 deal with 100 free minutes and a rollover of my existing 180 minutes, so I took it. Thanks to everyone who posted here or else I'd still be paying a hundred bucks more and probably lose my minutes.

rated:
I just called and negotiated a reasonably good deal... What do you think? $249 for 12 months of Directions & Connections service, plus an additional 6 months Directions & Connections for free, plus 300 minutes calling for free, PLUS an extra month because he kept me on phone for almost an hour. That's 19 months Directions & Connections PLUS 300 minutes, ALL for $249 ...and they also offered an extra 300 minutes for $9.95 ...not bad at all. I had to use a US address because the Canadian Rates are much higher than the US Rates (something to do with their cost of providing service being higher in Canada). Nevertheless, I'm happy with the deal. Spoke to Customer Care Department to get this rate.

rated:
Just called Onstar 888-466-7827. Told them I was thinking of cancelling but what deals are available? I was told that I could have 12 mos of Safe & Sound service for $149 instead of $199. I told them that several of my friends had received extra months of service and 100 free minutes. She said that that deal was no longer available- but because I knew about it she would give it to me. Ended up with 15 months of Onstar and 100 minutes for $149.-- But wait there's more. She came back to confirm the price and apologized that she would have to charge Wisconsin sales tax and would add another month of service. Just keep asking for add-ons and who knows what you can get.

rated:
Ok, I just got 15 months on 2 vehicles for $149 each vehicle plus 100 minutes per vehicle. Thanks.!

rated:
Cool, I need to redo my wife's P-Slade onstar. Thx OP.

rated:
Saw these posts and called Onstar today. Asked for and got $149, 15 months,100 mins, 6 mo nav. Thanks to you all

rated:
Just called to cancel but said if the $149 package of 15 months and 100 minutes was available I'd stay. The rep said it was available without any hesitation. I'm happy because I would have cancelled if they did not offer it to me.

rated:
A few of questions for those of you that have had onstar for a while. I just bought my first onstar equipped car recently.

1. If the car has navigation already, there is no use for onstar nav, right?

2. What are the phone minutes for? My cell phone is connected via bluetooth, and I cant figure out what the purpose of "onstar" minutes are.

3. Did you have to notify your insurance that you had onstar, or did they already know it when you added the car to the policy.

Thanks

rated:
toprammin said:   A few of questions for those of you that have had onstar for a while. I just bought my first onstar equipped car recently.

Well, most of the time. But there are times when you need to go somewhere that isn't on the Nav DVD. It is helpful then and also when you want to find the nearest whatever...

2. What are the phone minutes for? My cell phone is connected via bluetooth, and I cant figure out what the purpose of "onstar" minutes are.
Again, there are times when the old cell phone doesn't get a signal. This has never happened with the Onstar phone. It's also helpful when your wife leaves her cell phone at home and you need to reach her. Onstar to the rescue.

3. Did you have to notify your insurance that you had onstar, or did they already know it when you added the car to the policy. I had to notify my insurance company.

Thanks

rated:
cacloss said:   toprammin said:   A few of questions for those of you that have had onstar for a while. I just bought my first onstar equipped car recently.

Well, most of the time. But there are times when you need to go somewhere that isn't on the Nav DVD. It is helpful then and also when you want to find the nearest whatever...

Again, there are times when the old cell phone doesn't get a signal. This has never happened with the Onstar phone. It's also helpful when your wife leaves her cell phone at home and you need to reach her. Onstar to the rescue.

3. Did you have to notify your insurance that you had onstar, or did they already know it when you added the car to the policy. I had to notify my insurance company.

Thanks

Thanks!

rated:
toprammin said:   A few of questions for those of you that have had onstar for a while. I just bought my first onstar equipped car recently.

During Hurricane Katrina you could not find a cell signal anywhere around here. I was able to use Onstar satellite to contact my family.

3. Did you have to notify your insurance that you had onstar, or did they already know it when you added the car to the policy.

Thanks

rated:
richb said:   Just called to cancel but said if the $149 package of 15 months and 100 minutes was available I'd stay. The rep said it was available without any hesitation. I'm happy because I would have cancelled if they did not offer it to me.

Renewing on 5/7, I just called in to cancel and asked if I could have the same $149/15mos offer. The rep gave me hard time and stated the current loyalty offer is only for 12mos. I told her to cancel our subscriptions on 2 cars.

The rep insisted on talking to my wife who is the registered owner. I can't even cancel without my wife calling in. What a pain!!!

rated:
The $148 price - is that directions and safe and sound? This is what I have now as part of my initial plan when I purchased the car. I have used directions more than I thought I would.

rated:
$148 - does that include directions? I have the initial deal where I can get directions, have minutes (which I rarely use since my cell phone connects with blue tooth), and get diagnostic email.

rated:
I have Onstar FMV. I called today to cancel and they didn't even try to keep me. I said I had several friends with the $149 deal but the rep claimed that wasn't available with the FMV. Has anyone here with FMV been able to get the $149? I was rather shocked at how quick they were to agree to cancel. I am paid up for a few more days so we'll see if they contact me to get me back.

rated:
I called yesterday and I got 15 months safe & sound, 100 minutes for $149.00. they asked me where I found the deal at I told them I found it on a unoffical onstar forum. Also my car insurance company gave me a $130.00 discount for 6 months for having onstar thats $260.00 a year minus the $149.00 means I get $111.00 a year to keep onstar.

rated:
I waited 8 hours for subaru to come tow my 2011 forester after the starter bolt fell out at 2000 miles.

I doubt GM magically made the wreckers slower.. they just sometimes are slow.

rated:
Just called today...got the three year Safe and Sound for $399. Called the cancellation department first, who transferred me around. They'll quickly offer you the $499 rate, but be persistent, they'll come down to $399. I just kept telling them, "No, I will only pay $399....why? Because that's how much you are giving it to other people." It took all of 5 minutes from start to end. Good Luck!

rated:
nyjetsninja said:   I called yesterday and I got 15 months safe & sound, 100 minutes for $149.00. they asked me where I found the deal at I told them I found it on a unoffical onstar forum. Also my car insurance company gave me a $130.00 discount for 6 months for having onstar thats $260.00 a year minus the $149.00 means I get $111.00 a year to keep onstar.

What insurance co? I have usaa and they are giving me a measly $8 every six months.

rated:
Sweet, thanks folks.

rated:
I just called and got the 12 months of "safe & sound" plus 100 free minutes for 149.00. I tried like 5 times to get the extra 2 months but they wouldn't budge. She did agree to extend all my minutes for a year from today.
Compared to the the 30.00 a month they wanted for the " Directions & Connections" plan, I think we saved some good money by going for this promotion.
I have such a great phone # with the Onstar ( its similar to (xxx) 105-5000 ) , so It's a keeper !!

Update: Later on in the day I reread my renewal email, and clicked on the renewal link that onstar had provided in the email. They were offering the 199.00 rate for the safe and sound package and an extra 3 months free for renewing early. I called Onstar back and explained that the renewal girl I had spoken too had failed to mention the free 3 months that were offered in my email. I asked to be given the 3 extra months and told her I wasn't sure why they had not given them to me earlier.
After a minute or so of explaining, the lady put me on hold to ask here supervisor for advice, then came back on and they gave me the free 3 additional months.
Persistance pays off people, I love it !!

rated:
Just got 15 months, 100 minutes and still get to use my smart phone to lock / unlock for $149 and they will bill me in December?
I wanted to pay today and she said "I'm good, they'll bill you in December?"

rated:
Thanks, this is a deal. I also added an additional 300 minutes of talk time for $13.00 ($9.99 +tax) and the minutes are good for one year. I Love Fat Wallet.

rated:
macaw1us said:   Just got 15 months, 100 minutes and still get to use my smart phone to lock / unlock for $149 and they will bill me in December?
I wanted to pay today and she said "I'm good, they'll bill you in December?"

I got the same deal today for 15 months @ $149. Had to call twice to get it.

rated:
I just got $149 for 13 months + 6 month nav. I was not tough enough to get 2 extra months instead of 1. Anyway, already happy since I planed to pay original price anyway. luck to find this link to save $$$.

rated:
My dealer free plan expired yesterday. OS charged my CC yesterday for the full Directions & Connections monthly rate. (I guess I should have read their e-mails!) I called and asked them to back out the charge and cancel the service as I never authorized the charge. They quickly agreed to back out the charge and offerred another rate. I was on the fence and mentioned the $149, 15 months, plus 100 free minutes and they agreed immediately. I renewed. Thanks for the adivce.

rated:
Does anyone know whether the $149 Onstar promo is still available? Thanks for your help. Ja.nuary 20/2013

rated:
Does anyone know whether the $149 Onstar deal is still available? January 20/2013. Thanks very much. Oh, does this rate also come in Canada too?

rated:
guitardedboy said:   AAA plus and a cellphone...beats on star....just my two cents.

OnStar gets me a break on my insurance, so it's a better option for me. I don't pay for the OnStar cell service - no use for me since I do have a cell phone in a metro area 99% of the time, and my car insurance provides road-side assistance as part of my plan, which is really the only thing I might use AAA for.

rated:
Just got the $149 rate for 15 month so it is still active; just ask for Loyalty Customer Support when you dial in. Did not need the 100 minutes as have plenty minutes from the earlier snafu when they did their onstar upgrade last February.

rated:
guitardedboy said:   ellisd said: Not if your car gets stolen or you have a head on collision, or you lock your keys in your car, or you want the maintenance report. AAA would be worth about your 2 cents for any of those. Well, you can wait for a locksmith as opposed to the 30 secs to unlock your doors with a phone call. AAA Plus has other value, but not for me, haven't had it in years. Free maps don't excite me anymore.

You have a head on collision you are probably dead anyways...lock your keys in the car...I can wait for 30 minutes for AAA to come out. If my Car is stolen...that would suck but a real theif is going to know how to disconnect onstar anyways, plus what's the chances you rcar really get stolen...odds have to be rediculous.

AAA Plus, will bring gas to you if you run out...will unlock doors, will fix a flat, will tow you 3 times, each time up to 90 miles. If you have your card and you are in somebody elses car you can use it if there's breaks down, hotel discounts, amusement parks discoutns, all kinds of places to eat discounts, internet 10- 20% off coupons......Sorry, but I love my AAA Plus. you can keep onstar.

Most real theifs ... aren't real thiefs. If your car is stolen does it matter if the guy who did it is a pro or not ?!?? Anyways ... if you notice quick enough onstar is real time. As in tracking him or her as she leaves your neighborhood.

rated:
printermonitor said:   Just got the $149 rate for 15 month so it is still active; just ask for Loyalty Customer Support when you dial in. Did not need the 100 minutes as have plenty minutes from the earlier snafu when they did their onstar upgrade last February.

Were you offered the 100 minutes also? How hard was it to get the 15 months. I called last month and they did not seem to care if I cancelled. He talked to his supervisor and came back with an offer of 6 months of directions added to my account if I stayed but no free minutes or months. I said no thanks. May try again before my time runs out on the 15th of March.

Thanks

rated:
Called this p.m. to inquire about renewal options. I was given the standard rates e.g. $28.90 mo. for directions & connections, $299 annual. I then asked about a preferred customer renewal rate and was asked by the customer svc. rep. to hold while she checked - she came back and offered the $149 safe & sound plan. I then asked if the 100 free calling minutes were included and again placed me on hold and came back with a $9.99 offer for 300 mins.

rated:
thanks OP, got the 149.00 for 14 months, no free 100 minutes but they gave me 300 mins for 9 bucks so I was okay with that. My system had been disconnected for a few months too just in case people are wondering if they can get the rate after they have expired. you can. The first lady I called said it was 12 months and she didn't know how "my friends" got the 14 month rate, I hung up waited 10 mins, called back (different lady) and asked about offer again and she said sure.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014