Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

OnStar discount worth asking for $10.64/month

First page
1 of 21
+19
ellisd
3/30/10 8:41 AM
I know this is a love or hate topic, but at least I was able to find a lower price that was honored. The standard rate for safe and sound is $18.95/month. There is a promotion out there somewhere that gives you one year for $148.92 with a bonus 2 free months and 100 free calling minutes. That brings the cost down to $10.64/month plus the free calling minutes. This is not for navigation, but it does give you monthly service emails, free lockout protection, collision emergency notification, and lost vehicle tracking. Tack that on to the insurance discount I get for having it and I think it is a pretty good deal overall. Just call and ask for the $149/year deal and they will direct you to a customer loyalty consultant. It was a quick call with no hassle.
WikiPost
3/30/10 8:41 AM
Quick Summary
+1
Jeff36
3/30/10 9:09 AM
Will call today - thx!
+3
guitardedboy
3/30/10 10:08 AM
AAA plus and a cellphone...beats on star....just my two cents.
+1
robby69
3/30/10 10:30 AM
Fewer wreckers now too, probably since GM was/is a slow payer during their trouble. Waited 4-hours for a warranty tow last month, just off the interstate within 15-miles of 2 cites of 100K+..

If your car is stolen, or you are in a crash with airbags deployed you get the same response if you are paid up or not. I have even got lockout service by having the dealership call them.
+4
ellisd
3/30/10 10:41 AM
Not if your car gets stolen or you have a head on collision, or you lock your keys in your car, or you want the maintenance report. AAA would be worth about your 2 cents for any of those. Well, you can wait for a locksmith as opposed to the 30 secs to unlock your doors with a phone call. AAA Plus has other value, but not for me, haven't had it in years. Free maps don't excite me anymore.
+5
ellisd
3/30/10 10:42 AM
robby69 said:

Fewer wreckers now too, probably since GM was/is a slow payer during their trouble. Waited 4-hours for a warranty tow last month, just off the interstate within 15-miles of 2 cites of 100K+..

If your car is stolen, or you are in a crash with airbags deployed you get the same response if you are paid up or not. I have even got lockout service by having the dealership call them.

Common misconception that OnStar provides these services even if you don't pay.
They don't
guitardedboy
3/30/10 2:42 PM
ellisd said:

Not if your car gets stolen or you have a head on collision, or you lock your keys in your car, or you want the maintenance report. AAA would be worth about your 2 cents for any of those. Well, you can wait for a locksmith as opposed to the 30 secs to unlock your doors with a phone call. AAA Plus has other value, but not for me, haven't had it in years. Free maps don't excite me anymore.

You have a head on collision you are probably dead anyways...lock your keys in the car...I can wait for 30 minutes for AAA to come out. If my Car is stolen...that would suck but a real theif is going to know how to disconnect onstar anyways, plus what's the chances you rcar really get stolen...odds have to be rediculous.

AAA Plus, will bring gas to you if you run out...will unlock doors, will fix a flat, will tow you 3 times, each time up to 90 miles. If you have your card and you are in somebody elses car you can use it if there's breaks down, hotel discounts, amusement parks discoutns, all kinds of places to eat discounts, internet 10- 20% off coupons......Sorry, but I love my AAA Plus. you can keep onstar.
bignrichfan
3/30/10 7:52 PM
I just cancelled my onstar. I had it free for a few months because my hubby is unemployed well they charged my credit card without my knowledge so I called to explain he is still unemployed and I have to cancel because I just can't afford it right now and they would not even try to give me any deals they just said well if your in an accident you have no coverage, well what did we all do before onstar?
+7
nicemann
4/9/10 9:46 AM
I just called to get the promotion. The Tier 1 rep, said she could give me a year for a $149, when I mentioned the extra 2 months added on, she said she can't do it but the next level will be able to. She transferred me, I asked about the promotion and the lady said sure no problem, 14 months for $148.92. I then asked about the 100 minutes she said that is not included on the promotion, but if my friend got it, she would give it to me too. In fact she even gave an additional 50 minutes just for calling a month before my renewal was due.

Outstanding find, OP. Thanks for saving me $83 on 14 months!
First page
1 of 21
Please select a reason for your RED vote:

You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.