• filter:
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I know this is a love or hate topic, but at least I was able to find a lower price that was honored. The standard rate for safe and sound is $18.95/month. There is a promotion out there somewhere that gives you one year for $148.92 with a bonus 2 free months and 100 free calling minutes. That brings the cost down to $10.64/month plus the free calling minutes. This is not for navigation, but it does give you monthly service emails, free lockout protection, collision emergency notification, and lost vehicle tracking. Tack that on to the insurance discount I get for having it and I think it is a pretty good deal overall. Just call and ask for the $149/year deal and they will direct you to a customer loyalty consultant. It was a quick call with no hassle.

Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Does anyone know how that road side assistance works?

yesitsbob (Mar. 26, 2014 @ 9:40a) |

AAA does not offer hands free  bluetooth connection to your phone. The Onstar phone will work in remote areas where a ce... (more)

jimmymorris1 (Mar. 27, 2014 @ 7:39p) |

Push the onstar button
operator comes on and gives you options
If you have a roadside plan, onstar will call them and make... (more)

LORENW (Mar. 27, 2014 @ 11:28p) |

Quick Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Will call today - thx!

rated:
AAA plus and a cellphone...beats on star....just my two cents.

rated:
Fewer wreckers now too, probably since GM was/is a slow payer during their trouble. Waited 4-hours for a warranty tow last month, just off the interstate within 15-miles of 2 cites of 100K+..

If your car is stolen, or you are in a crash with airbags deployed you get the same response if you are paid up or not. I have even got lockout service by having the dealership call them.

rated:
Not if your car gets stolen or you have a head on collision, or you lock your keys in your car, or you want the maintenance report. AAA would be worth about your 2 cents for any of those. Well, you can wait for a locksmith as opposed to the 30 secs to unlock your doors with a phone call. AAA Plus has other value, but not for me, haven't had it in years. Free maps don't excite me anymore.

rated:
robby69 said: Fewer wreckers now too, probably since GM was/is a slow payer during their trouble. Waited 4-hours for a warranty tow last month, just off the interstate within 15-miles of 2 cites of 100K+..

If your car is stolen, or you are in a crash with airbags deployed you get the same response if you are paid up or not. I have even got lockout service by having the dealership call them.


Common misconception that OnStar provides these services even if you don't pay.
They don't

rated:
ellisd said: Not if your car gets stolen or you have a head on collision, or you lock your keys in your car, or you want the maintenance report. AAA would be worth about your 2 cents for any of those. Well, you can wait for a locksmith as opposed to the 30 secs to unlock your doors with a phone call. AAA Plus has other value, but not for me, haven't had it in years. Free maps don't excite me anymore.

You have a head on collision you are probably dead anyways...lock your keys in the car...I can wait for 30 minutes for AAA to come out. If my Car is stolen...that would suck but a real theif is going to know how to disconnect onstar anyways, plus what's the chances you rcar really get stolen...odds have to be rediculous.

AAA Plus, will bring gas to you if you run out...will unlock doors, will fix a flat, will tow you 3 times, each time up to 90 miles. If you have your card and you are in somebody elses car you can use it if there's breaks down, hotel discounts, amusement parks discoutns, all kinds of places to eat discounts, internet 10- 20% off coupons......Sorry, but I love my AAA Plus. you can keep onstar.

rated:
I just cancelled my onstar. I had it free for a few months because my hubby is unemployed well they charged my credit card without my knowledge so I called to explain he is still unemployed and I have to cancel because I just can't afford it right now and they would not even try to give me any deals they just said well if your in an accident you have no coverage, well what did we all do before onstar?

rated:
I just called to get the promotion. The Tier 1 rep, said she could give me a year for a $149, when I mentioned the extra 2 months added on, she said she can't do it but the next level will be able to. She transferred me, I asked about the promotion and the lady said sure no problem, 14 months for $148.92. I then asked about the 100 minutes she said that is not included on the promotion, but if my friend got it, she would give it to me too. In fact she even gave an additional 50 minutes just for calling a month before my renewal was due.

Outstanding find, OP. Thanks for saving me $83 on 14 months!

rated:
Thanks OP!!!! It was the most simple call I have ever made asking for a promotion. I was able to get everything as stated.

rated:
Thanks OP! Deal is still on. It took 5 minutes. $149 for 14 months.

rated:
Thanks, Still works!

rated:
Still works today! 14 months for the price of 12 plus 100 free calling minutes. Have to get to "Customer Loyalty" team to get this promo but was quick and painless!

rated:
Awesome, everyone! I just called and got the deal ($148.92/14 mo/100 min).

rated:
Got the deal yesterday. The first person that answered said she couldn't give me the deal, that it was a special promotion. I said my friend and others have gotten the deal, so why can't I? She said she would have to talk to someone, and could she put me on hold. I said that's fine, and after about 5 minutes, another lady answered and asked how she could help. I told her I wanted the $149 deal, and she said no problem. $161.xx with tax. Thanks OP!

rated:
guitardedboy said: AAA plus and a cellphone...beats on star....just my two cents.

Thats all fine if you stay in a few metro areas, however 100% worthless if you travel at all, since that cell phone isnt going to get you any help, and the aaa garge is only open limited hours, in that area.

rated:
If you handicapped at all , and bought a new gm vehicle in the last year, they give you 2 extra years of onstar for free. plus will pay $1000 toward any mobility items added to the vehicle.

They also gave me 300 minutes for $9.95, plus the 30 original ones.

rated:
LORENW said: guitardedboy said: AAA plus and a cellphone...beats on star....just my two cents.

Thats all fine if you stay in a few metro areas, however 100% worthless if you travel at all, since that cell phone isnt going to get you any help, and the aaa garge is only open limited hours, in that area.


uh, on-star is a cell phone so you have the same limitations. I'm sure AAA uses a network of tow truck operators at least as large of GM (and probably the same ones in many areas).

rated:
Make and receive calls on the go, easily and reliably, with OnStar Hands-Free Calling¹.

Voice-activated calling means you can keep your hands on the wheel, eyes on the road. And because it's built right into your vehicle, it’s there just in case your cell phone is unavailable or the battery is running low.

•One button-push to start and simple voice commands to interact
•Better connectivity in areas of limited cellular reception
•Unmatched sound quality through your speakers

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/handsfreecalling

rated:
taf said: Make and receive calls on the go, easily and reliably, with OnStar Hands-Free Calling¹.

Voice-activated calling means you can keep your hands on the wheel, eyes on the road. And because it's built right into your vehicle, it’s there just in case your cell phone is unavailable or the battery is running low.

•One button-push to start and simple voice commands to interact
•Better connectivity in areas of limited cellular reception
•Unmatched sound quality through your speakers

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/handsfreecalling


I believe onstar has twice the usual power to make cell phone calls. Like 4 watts instead of 2 watts for handheld cells. This is as i remembered it.

rated:
So.....people who like AAA Plus better probably shouldn't get this deal. Why are they in this thread if they're not interested again?

rated:
When I was on the onstar website, still active on my first year, when I go to renew it offers $149.95 as a discounted price for the safe and sound pack. I also bought the camaro under an GM family discount as an FYI.

J

rated:
thanks so much for the information. I called and got the same deal. (yes, i have AAA too but it's not the "same" as having this service.

rated:
Deal confirmed. Once mentioned to the initial rep was transferred to the retention specialist that knew the exact deal and hooked it up for me. Thanks OP!

rated:
If you are a Month to Month subscriber you can upgrade to the $149 or $249 D&C plan right on the onstar website.

rated:
 

rated:
But the website renewal will not get you the two free months or the 100 free calling minutes

rated:
Deal is still working but I received a few extras. For the $148.92, OnStar gave me 12 months plus additional 3 months for free, 100 free minutes, plus they re-instated my 132 expired minutes but rounded them up to 140. I did ask for a "customer loyalty consultant" when OnStar first answered. And always be nice when requesting special offers, upgrades, etc. It definitely helps you in alot of situations.

rated:
chefhinkle said: Deal is still working but I received a few extras. For the $148.92, OnStar gave me 12 months plus additional 3 months for free, 100 free minutes, plus they re-instated my 132 expired minutes but rounded them up to 140. I did ask for a "customer loyalty consultant" when OnStar first answered. And always be nice when requesting special offers, upgrades, etc. It definitely helps you in alot of situations.

I just got it too! For me, they also included turn-by-turn for the first 6 months. This was one of the easiest deals to get ever! Thanks OP!

rated:
I just got the 14-month at that price. Are people really getting the 100 extra minutes included?

rated:
I received the extra 100 minutes. I just told them that I expected them with this deal and they said OK.

rated:
I just got the same deal: 15 months and 100 additional minutes for $149. Dealing with them is like dealing with the cable or satellite TV companies: slimy.

rated:
Thanks for that great info. I just received info for the renewal of the 18.95 service. I'm calling them today and see if I can get this deal..

rated:
I just got the one year for $148.92 with 2 free months and 100 free calling minutes. The minutes expire in one year but the rep told me to call back in two months and ask for the unused minutes to be rolled over - that way, they expire exactly the same time as the 14 month onstar subscription (she noted it in my account so I shouldn't have any problems in 2 months).

rated:
Just FYI, this deal is still available (Dec 2010). The sales rep could give me Safe and Sound for $148/yr, but had to transfer me to Customer Loyalty to get the extra 2 months free. Thanks for the tip!!

rated:
My subscription ends at the end of the month. When I called in, I pushed option 6 for cancellations. I was offered yearly deal at $12 a month plus the extra 2 months. Then asked about extending my remaining minutes. No problem. Asked if there were any offers for bonus minutes. She said "There sure is". Easy, simple...5 minutes.

rated:
Reetz10 said:   My subscription ends at the end of the month. When I called in, I pushed option 6 for cancellations. I was offered yearly deal at $12 a month plus the extra 2 months. Then asked about extending my remaining minutes. No problem. Asked if there were any offers for bonus minutes. She said "There sure is". Easy, simple...5 minutes.
One minor problem is the minutes expire in 12 months while the onstar service is for 14 months, so if you want to rollover your minutes or have continuous phone service 12 months out you need to buy minutes (or try to renew in early and get further out of sync).

Has anyone activated their onstar phone on pageplus cellular? $80 for 2000 minutes that last a year would be nice (but you couldn't have onstar too).

rated:
Called and got 14 months for $148 !
+ 100 Free Min.
Just press 6 for cancellations and lead them down the path...

Thanks Gang!!!

rated:
Have two vehicles with OnStar. Renewed both at $148 for each vehicle for 14 months plus 100 free minutes. Called the 866 number...option 6...they offered $148 immediately. This is infact on their web site (at 12 months for $148) if you're logged in to your account. I countered for the free 100 minutes. The operator said done deal.

For the record - The diagnostics saved me a tow bill (and who knows how much aggrevation) after an oil change goober left a valve connection loose. The peace of mind for my wife's car is a no-brainer. I travel a lot and knowing that she can push a button and get emergency assistance is invaluable to me. I'd pay the $200 per year for her car if I didn't have a better option but not mine (was going to cancel mine and keep hers).

Skipping 156 Messages...
rated:
yesitsbob said:   Does anyone know how that road side assistance works?
  Push the onstar button
operator comes on and gives you options
If you have a roadside plan, onstar will call them and make the arrangements for service
Worked very well for me with Chevy roadside, real easy

 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014