• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
because if I catch them vandalizing my property again, I'm going to going medieval on them and hang them up in a gibbet.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
But not literally...I want to slap the parents who leash up their toddler.

michal1980 said: because if I catch them vandalizing my property again, I'm going to going medieval on them and hang them up in a gibbet.If I catch them even ONCE, I will take action.

Senturon said: But not literally...I want to slap the parents who leash up their toddler.

Me too. I am not sure why that invokes such a strong feeling for me but it does. I never leashed my children.

Git offa mah lawnnn!

Senturon said: But not literally...I want to slap the parents who leash up their toddler.

I think if I would have caught the punks that broke my outside lamps, and the heavy concerate bird bath, I would put a chain around them, with a sign that reads i'm a vandal.

Trying to find out if its leagal for me to tazar punks like this in case I catch on in the future.

edit:

Figures I live in one of the few states private citizens cannot buy/use etc a taser.

I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

PS> I had a politcal sign vandalized on Halloween 2008 so no candy for the kiddies anymore. I'm sure the parents stood there and watched them do it, probably encouraged it.

formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

I think that depends both on the area you live in, and your house. 99% of the houses where I live in if I saw that I wouldn't think twice about it. There are those one or two that stand out, that would make you wonder what they are doing in there.

formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

PS> I had a politcal sign vandalized on Halloween 2008 so no candy for the kiddies anymore. I'm sure the parents stood there and watched them do it, probably encouraged it.
I don't put political signs in my yard at all. I don't want my nosey neighbors to know my political views, especially one old fart who thinks it's her place to educate everyone.

I have heard of crooks suing their crime victims due to injury on the victim's property. There should be a law against THAT.

I've never heard of No Trespassing signs being asso. with drug dealing.

I use land mines in the yard,problem solved.

michal1980 said: formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

I think that depends both on the area you live in, and your house. 99% of the houses where I live in if I saw that I wouldn't think twice about it. There are those one or two that stand out, that would make you wonder what they are doing in there.

Yeah, I joke about it, and while my neighborhood has gone downhill it's still far from ghetto. See, I live across the line in the biggest major suburb, not in the city, so my police department has more cops per capita.

momgoingbroke said: formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

I don't put political signs in my yard at all. I don't want my nosey neighbors to know my political views, especially one old fart who thinks it's her place to educate everyone.

I have heard of crooks suing their crime victims due to injury on the victim's property. There should be a law against THAT.

Yeah, Missouri used to be that way, the laws favored the criminal, but that changed BIGTIME when MO adopted "The Castle Doctrine" in 2007, and even extended it to your car to prevent carjackings. The law literally reads "...no duty to retreat" while in your home or car. The thing is, the average criminal is too stupid to know we even passed such a law.

formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me.
We had a similar situation the past two weeks. Living in a corner house it seems nobody has any respect
for the property, not cleaning up after the dogs, kids climbing over things. I had to nicely ask a child to please not climb my magnolia tree.
Two weeks ago all our spring flowers were cut straight across, somebody had a beautiful large arrangement of flowers.
Some decorative items moved, one dropped and broken.
Last week my husband just happened to look out the window at the right time and seen two girls about 5 and 7 moving the decorations around again. One moved a piece across the street under a tree.

By time my husband went outside the girls were back on their bikes, my husband waited until they rode
around the block (our street goes into a circle/court). He stayed near the door and shouted out to them
when they got near the house to stay off the property. We have no idea where they live.

Well....these little darlings went home and said something to their parents. Two mom's came to the house and asked what the problem was, my husband told them. These ladies went off on my DH telling him he shouldn't be approaching young girls. WHAT???? My husband told them they were on their bikes and I was at the door.
The girls lied through their teeth and the mom's believed every word they said.

So yes...I can see someone suing...but they need to prove it.

StarPilot said: I use land mines in the yard,problem solved.

sweet, I doubt my state allows them though, seeing as I cant even have a taser.

Though I am trying to prevent property destruction, wouldn't the land mines hurt my stuff too?

michal1980 said: StarPilot said: I use land mines in the yard,problem solved.

sweet, I doubt my state allows them though, seeing as I cant even have a taser.

Though I am trying to prevent property destruction, wouldn't the land mines hurt my stuff too?

Remember THE ALAMO!!!!!!!!!
Think of the holes in da yard as sand traps.

MumzOf2 said: formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me.
We had a similar situation the past two weeks. Living in a corner house it seems nobody has any respect
for the property, not cleaning up after the dogs, kids climbing over things. I had to nicely ask a child to please not climb my magnolia tree.
Two weeks ago all our spring flowers were cut straight across, somebody had a beautiful large arrangement of flowers.
Some decorative items moved, one dropped and broken.
Last week my husband just happened to look out the window at the right time and seen two girls about 5 and 7 moving the decorations around again. One moved a piece across the street under a tree.

By time my husband went outside the girls were back on their bikes, my husband waited until they rode
around the block (our street goes into a circle/court). He stayed near the door and shouted out to them
when they got near the house to stay off the property. We have no idea where they live.

Well....these little darlings went home and said something to their parents. Two mom's came to the house and asked what the problem was, my husband told them. These ladies went off on my DH telling him he shouldn't be approaching young girls. WHAT???? My husband told them they were on their bikes and I was at the door.

Yeah, I had something similar happen but the thing is once you put the adult on notice then any further incursion onto your property is trespassing. So at least where I live, verbal notice is as good as a sign, so I just told them that next time I'd go straight to the cops and not even deal with them or their kids.

PS> I have a super-cool Red Maple in my front yard that kids used to love to treat as a jungle gym and a half-cirlce drive they loved to use as a race track.

MumzOf2 said:

Time to set up some video cameras. Next time you catch the little darlings and have some video proof, call the cops.

JorgeBurrito said: MumzOf2 said:

Time to set up some video cameras. Next time you catch the little darlings and have some video proof, call the cops.

great idea.

Anyone have a system they recommend?

This is why I wish we'd adopt Singapore-style laws. Vandalism there will earn you a caning.

I said "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
Disclaimer
I use the Clint Property Protection System

ppatin said: This is why I wish we'd adopt Singapore-style laws. Vandalism there will earn you a caning.Can of worms!!!

I have to respond to the "toddler on a leash" sentiment... before kids I thought putting a kid on a "leash" was stupid, then we has DS #2...

When it's two parents, a 6 yr old, 3 yr old and a baby (that is a preemie and can't hold his head up by himself until 6 months old and can't sit up on his own until 13 months, etc), as parents we didn't have enough hands or eyes in crowded situations to keep tabs on a "wild child".
Yes, the leash stops them from running off and we needed it as a safety feature to keep him safe.

From this kid I learned never to second-guess or laugh at
1) mothers that give birth in the back of a car on the side of the road (DS#2 was born exactly 60 minutes after waking me up with my water breaking).
2) kids that freeze to death outside because they wandered out in the middle of the night w/o the parents knowing (mine sleep walked/ran and wandered - *very* quietly).
3)The use of a leash is not a bad thing.
For the past 12 years, it's a daily struggle to try and stay just a 1/2 step ahead of what he's going to do next.

I rather call it a "tether".

b. A similar ropelike restraint used as a safety measure, especially for young children and astronauts.

I suppose putting the kids on a leash beats locking them in a cage.

momgoingbroke said: formattc said: I worry that one of them will get hurt on my property and the idiot parents will sue me. I've actually thought about putting up "No Trespassing" signs but then people have said that makes you look like a drug dealer!(?)

I've never heard of No Trespassing signs being asso. with drug dealing.
i used to put ralph nader signs on my lawn. i kept getting sympathy cards before super tuesday

mom2jel said: I have to respond to the "toddler on a leash" sentiment... before kids I thought putting a kid on a "leash" was stupid, then we has DS #2...

When it's two parents, a 6 yr old, 3 yr old and a baby (that is a preemie and can't hold his head up by himself until 6 months old and can't sit up on his own until 13 months, etc), as parents we didn't have enough hands or eyes in crowded situations to keep tabs on a "wild child".
Yes, the leash stops them from running off and we needed it as a safety feature to keep him safe.

1) mothers that give birth in the back of a car on the side of the road (DS#2 was born exactly 60 minutes after waking me up with my water breaking).
2) kids that freeze to death outside because they wandered out in the middle of the night w/o the parents knowing (mine sleep walked/ran and wandered - *very* quietly).
For the past 12 years, it's a daily struggle to try and stay just a 1/2 step ahead of what he's going to do next.

I once was walking my dog in a fairly busy park and saw a kid on a leash. I had a really intense desire to exchange my dog with the kid as the parent was extremely distracted and literally paying no attention to what the kid was doing. Something tells me they probably would not of found it nearly as funny as I would have.

When my oldest was 5... he wandered away from us at the KC Zoo... it was a busy Saturday and we had a ton of family with us... and no one had any idea where he had wandered to. He's high-functioning autistic, but didn't speak much at that age. We finally found him at the snack bar trying to get the lady to give him an ice cream. Let's just say that the terror and heartache I felt in the 5 minutes he was missing sure made me wish I had something to keep him at arms length.

Tethering for safety... as opposed to lazy parenting... I believe is something worthwhile. And, I was one that balked at tethers before I had little boys.

MadAnthony said: I suppose putting the kids on a leash beats locking them in a cage.
I like it. I am thinking those portable kennels designed for medium to large dogs would work pretty well. Put the kid in one of those, slap it on a radio flyer wagon, and you got yourself a nice relaxing day at the Zoo with your kid.

That would be a zoo in a zoo. Maybe you can even charge a fee for those who want to see/pet your kid in the cage.

Install motion activated sprinklers. Make sure to set for only a few seconds you don't want to turn your yard into a public waterpark.

Don't go all Roderick Scott on them!

Get Off My Lawn
Disclaimer
Just file a police report to get it officially on record.

Thats what I did and even if some other kid shows up to do damage,
guess who gets the police visit.

mom2jel said: I have to respond to the "toddler on a leash" sentiment... before kids I thought putting a kid on a "leash" was stupid, then we has DS #2...

In this situation I can understand the use of it.

My comment was more directed towards the 'parents' I see at the mall with only the one kid on the 'leash' talking/walking with a group of folks and not paying any attention to the child except for the occasional, albeit gentle, tug when the 'leash' gets tight.

MadAnthony said: I suppose putting the kids on a leash beats locking them in a cage.

Mine are 16 & 13 and there are still days I ponder the legal(what permits do I need?) and social(what would the neighbors think?) consequences of installing a cage in the backyard.

When my daughter was little I got a wrist strap that went around mine and hers with a 6 foot strap in between. I didn't care what anyone thought about it. I just felt like she was safer because of it.

We went with some friends to Six Flags one time. They had 2 3 year olds and we had 1. They were all on leashes. One time everyone left me with the kids while they went to do some rides. I took all of the leash handles and put them on a fence post and took a picture. It was awesome.

I used to think kid leashes were cruel until I had a kid. Now I want to give one as a gift at every baby shower I hear about.

FOAL
Disclaimer
michal1980 said: Parents keep kidding freaks on a leash....

<< Feeling like a freak on a leash

Rule #66: Ban Kids From Your Lawn
You'll be the neighborhood trendsetter when you whip out your leash.
perhaps even more sinister, other unleashed children.getting humiliated by the finger-pointing, unleashed, lowlife children passing by.
The sooner you instill a healthy fear of, well, everything in your child, the sooner he or she will become the neighborhood’s token panicky kid with the matted hair, scabby lips, and chronically sweaty palms. Every neighborhood needs one, so why not have it be your son or daughter?Just imagine it, it’s a spring day and your two toddlers are walking holding your hands. All of the sudden they decide it would be fun to break free from your grip and take off in opposite directions. A harness can prevent this from happening. Not everyone has a perfect stepford child that’s on voice command. Walk in someone else’s shoes before you judge. We could use a good leash law along with invisible fences that are activated by a sensor on the leash....how shocking

PS: Fences Make Good Neighbors as long as you do not leave the gate open.

I have no kids.

I live on a corner, and the the backyard is fenced, but the front sides of the house arent. property would look werid with a fench there. However we got some advice form friends, that for a cheap camera, we can buy a few game/deer camera that take pictures when they see movement. They seem cheaper then a full blown security system, and seem to have better resolutions.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014