Are Bose speakers overrated?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I almost purchased a set of speakers from the Bose retail store for $2500.00 but the FW in me told me to wait and compare prices. They had other sets for $1000 more (unbelievable).
Are they really worth that much? Are they overrated? Is it possible to purchase another brand that perform similarly and pocket the difference?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
great. another religion thread.

no politics!

Yes.

yes

They are not overrated. They are overpriced.

Bose does a good job of filling a room with small speakers. I truly belive the reason they sell so much product is because they sell "all-in-one" kits. Most consumers see that and think how great it will be to not have to deal with picking out different components and setup stuff that isn't all the same brand.

Many people claim they sound like crap... but my experience is limited. I will say the BOSE "Premium" audio in my car sounds worse than the regular offerings, and it has preamp and other shit behind the scenes that makes it a royal pain to upgrade (can't even upgrade speakers because of some sort of BS signals).

For 2500, or even 1000$, you could piece together a better setup with different brands.

They are very, very overrated. Bose and Sony have become some kind of redneck legend. They've been called "the best" for so long by so many uninformed people that it's just assumed to be true. The truth is that Sony is middle-of-the-road at best, and Bose speakers, while once innovative, are made with cheap components and really don't reproduce sound accurately.

The whole Bose marketing line is "direct-reflecting sound". They aim the drivers in various different directions and claim that this creates a more accurate reproduction of live sound. The trouble with this theory is that live bands don't aim their amps to bounce off walls and such, in a typical configuration, so why would this be more accurate?

As with any speaker purchase, the only recommendation I can make is to go audition them. Go to places that have a room where you can hear what you're plunking your money down for. People have different ears, different tastes in music, and different tastes in how "bright" or "warm" or bass-ey or mid-rangey they prefer their music to sound. Try your local reputable audio dealer(s), and try your local Best Buy for comparative purposes , and take a listen. Only you know what sound, what look, what configuration it is what you're looking for. Bring your favorite CD's.

Bose = the Apple of Speakers

No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

It is a bit of a long read, but if you really want a detailed analysis of what is wrong with Bose speakers (including acoustical measurements that Bose refuses to publish for their systems as it makes their speakers looks so laughably bad), check out this link.

fasttimes said: Bose = the Apple of Speakers

I can't agree with that. Apple has been successful because they have been extremely innovative in recent years. They make devices that aren't necessarily "the best", but they are sleek, sexy, functional, and are what the public is after. They've taken tech to the next level almost single-handledly in the last few years. You can tell, because everyone else is imitating them or trying to catch up with them. It's not even arguable.

Do they have issues? Sure. Are their products perfect? Nope. But they are certainly successful because they design cool products. I'm by no means a fanboy, but you don't have everyone else imitating you because you suck.

I heard recently that in the same period (I think 3 years) that MS stock rose 4%, Apple stocks rose 3000%.

katx said: I heard recently that in the same period (I think 3 years) that MS stock rose 4%, Apple stocks rose 3000%.

I should have never sold.

Sanjoelo said: fasttimes said: Bose = the Apple of Speakers

I can't agree with that.... They make devices that aren't necessarily "the best", but they are sleek, sexy, functional, and are what the public is after.

So they ARE Bose then?

No. Nobody is imitating Bose. I can see where comparisons could be made too, but it doesn't take genius to fathom the difference.

Bose's real contribution came much later, when it invented tiny labyrinth speaker boxes that delivered good bass without the honking peak.

BOSE = Buy Other Sound Equipment

Sanjoelo said: fasttimes said: Bose = the Apple of Speakers

I can't agree with that. Apple has been successful because they have been extremely innovative in recent years. They make devices that aren't necessarily "the best", but they are sleek, sexy, functional, and are what the public is after. They've taken tech to the next level almost single-handledly in the last few years. You can tell, because everyone else is imitating them or trying to catch up with them. It's not even arguable.

Do they have issues? Sure. Are their products perfect? Nope. But they are certainly successful because they design cool products. I'm by no means a fanboy, but you don't have everyone else imitating you because you suck.

Well said. with a few comments.

Noone imitates Bose.

Bose is more like Monster Cable.

But way to throw it back into someones face who is bitter they can't afford a Mac.

I hope you bought it with CC.

aughsum said:

But way to throw it back into someones face who is bitter they can't afford a Mac.

Not at all my intent, which was more a statement of fact than an attempted slam. Look around, every company is imitating Apple tech. The look, the apps, everything. FWIW, the only Apple product I currently own (besides an old G3) is an iPod Touch. My next laptop will be a Mac, though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014