• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
What are your favs? Just from the last 5 years or so..

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
5 years? those were MOVIES? BLAH!

If I had to pick one it would be bedtime stories. not actually a comedy but Sandler gives it a few laughs.

I hate idiot comedies. Dumb & Dumber, 40 yr old virgin, Stepbrothers, etc.. The stupid days are OVER!

Honestly, I think there has been somewhat of a lacking of good comedy movies in the last 5 years or so. The three that come to mind that I think are in that time frame is "The 40 year old Virgin", "Zombieland", and "Thank you for smoking". "Thank you for smoking" is probably my favorite of the three. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" was pretty good, but probably not ranking in my favorites. If you are into dark comedy at all "Worlds Greatest Dad" is good and probably something you have not watched as it didn't seem to get a lot of advertisement during release.

I think the hardest I ever laughed at a movie was when Travolta shot Marvin in the face in "Pulp Fiction". I find humor in odd places. Most typical comedies don't make me laugh.

There's Something About Mary had me rollin' during the zipper and the hair gel scenes.

The Hangover

+1 The Hangover. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Hot Tub Time Machine was actually pretty funny in spurts...

eta
totally cheating, but i liked 500 days, little miss sunshine, tropic thunder and hot fuzz.

I'm with you, JorgeBurrito. Gross-out, embarassment and idiot humor just doesn't do it for me.

Y'know, I think it's time to go watch Airplane! again.

Here's a bunch that I like: Hangover, In Bruges, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Wedding Crashers, Borat, 500 Days of Summer, Little Miss Sunshine, Zombieland, Superbad, Tropic Thunder, Marley & Me, Knocked Up, Hot Fuzz. All of them are in the last 5 years and I think they are pretty damn good. I kinda cheated and looked up some of them just to make sure they made the cutoff. Obviously I'm not a big fan of Will Ferrell.

Clerks 2

A friend of mine made me watch Sex Drive a while back. It was surprisingly funny for a teenage sex romp.

Great website for a listing of the top 100 best movies for each decade...

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_90s.h...

Harold and Kumar Guantanamo Bay
Family Guy Blue Harvest
Family Guy Something, Something, Something Dark Side

Marley & Me was more inspirational than funny to me.

IOU said: Great website for a listing of the top 100 best movies for each decade...

Although I don't really agree with their rankings for the 00s, it's a good list overall

SUB said: IOU said: Great website for a listing of the top 100 best movies for each decade...

Although I don't really agree with their rankings for the 00s, it's a good list overall

My favorite comedies are Blazing Saddles(1973) and Stripes(1981), so they wouldn't count. For this decade would have to be the Harold & Kumar flicks I guess.

As for the '90's list, no way I'd put Silence of the Lambs at #3, maybe not even in the list, at least not above #90 for the '90's list, too implausible, weak story.

Hunt for Red October only makes honorable mention?

Jerry Maguire was so bad wife left the room 1/3-1/2 way through; I stubbornly struggled to finish it only because we paid for the rental and I figured something would eventually happen.

Godfather 3 got a gift being as high as 65.

And I like & own both Pearl Harbor and Armageddon, regardless of their inclusion on 100 worst movies.

On the other hand, that site has some good lists that remind me I want to watch a lot of movies.

I love Stripes... one of my favs I saw it on dish about a year ago and loved it still... I dont have the dvd but one I will buy for sure.. wifey has never seen it.... Also loved Private Benjamin and Armageddon is like Con air... if it is on... I will sit thru it...

IOU said: I love Stripes... one of my favs I saw it on dish about a year ago and loved it still... I dont have the dvd but one I will buy for sure.. wifey has never seen it.... Also loved Private Benjamin and Armageddon is like Con air... if it is on... I will sit thru it...

Saw Stripes in the theater while on weekend pass from summer camp we worked at, we had several beers each before we went in and it seemed like best movie I'd ever seen.

As for Con Air, I've liked all the Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay/Jennifer Fox movies I've seen:
Con Air
The Rock
Bad Boys 1-2
Beverly Hills Cop 1
Pearl Harbor
Remember the Titans
Enemy of the State
Armageddon
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-2-3
Transformers 1-2
Crimson Tide
National Treasure 1-2
Gone in 60 Seconds
Black Hawk Down

mapatsfan said:
As for the '90's list, no way I'd put Silence of the Lambs at #3, maybe not even in the list, at least not above #90 for the '90's list, too implausible, weak story.

Hunt for Red October only makes honorable mention?

Well, good thing the list has Silence of the Lambs at #5 then

You think it should be at most #90 on the list because it's implausible and has a weak story, but Hunt for Red October is underrated? To each his own, but you're probably in the minority on that.

mapatsfan said: IOU said: I love Stripes... one of my favs I saw it on dish about a year ago and loved it still... I dont have the dvd but one I will buy for sure.. wifey has never seen it.... Also loved Private Benjamin and Armageddon is like Con air... if it is on... I will sit thru it...

Saw Stripes in the theater while on weekend pass from summer camp we worked at, we had several beers each before we went in and it seemed like best movie I'd ever seen.

As for Con Air, I've liked all the Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay/Jennifer Fox movies I've seen:
Con Air
The Rock
Bad Boys 1-2
Beverly Hills Cop 1
Pearl Harbor
Remember the Titans
Enemy of the State
Armageddon
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Pirates of the Caribbean 1-2-3
Transformers 1-2
Crimson Tide
National Treasure 1-2
Gone in 60 Seconds
Black Hawk Down

I can tell, you are an fast action type of movie watcher. Silence of the lamb was great, just not fast paced like you would have preferred like your other movies.

another movie Ya'll may like is Stir Crazy & Silver Streak.

Dang I miss the 80's

FrugalFreak said:

I can tell, you are an fast action type of movie watcher. Silence of the lamb was great, just not fast paced like you would have preferred like your other movies.

I lean toward action films, but slower stuff like The Godfather I & II, Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, High Noon, etc are among my favorites.

The implausible part of Silence is that an SA trainee wouldn't be pulled out of the short academy to solve a crime, I had a hard time enjoying the movie after that as I had a relative go through the academy just before the movie was out.

SUB: 3, 5, whatever it takes. But I'll take the stories and writing of Tom Clancy over Thomas Harris any day. His leaps are smaller and easier to swallow, and I see more accuracy in the details.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014