How to secure valuables in dorm?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
My friend told me her daughter's college roommate cannot be trusted. Apparently, she has some things stolen from her already such as makeup and small amount of coins laying around. What can she buy that can secure her things like camera, iPod, etc. She hates having to take her iphone with her to the shower and having to hide it in the bathroom as she takes her shower. Her laptop is already tied down with a laptop lock but she is concerned with the smaller items. I suggested a FootLocker with a lock, but the room is pretty small so that is not feasible. Any suggestions? The closet is about 18 inches wide and cannot be locked.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I am not sure she is going to have much of choice except for a locking chest of some kind (of course the roommate could just take the entire trunk then ). If she looks around, she can probably find something thin and tall so that it fits in the closet itself.

Move? See if the college will move her to another room. Barring that, the way I always found space in the dorms was to raise the bed up on blocks and stash stuff in there. Half height cinder blocks and cinder block bricks all worked perfect for that sort of thing.

Good question...my son moves into the dorm in two days and he has a few pricey things (ipod, laptop, cell phone)

I saw some things in the bed bath beyond flier a week or two ago. They were like small safes with a combo lock. The ad showed them with ipods and such inside. They did not seem too pricey. We have a firebox with a combination lock that could work. That was more expensive, though.

Edited to add link: This wasn't the one I saw but looks good

A gun safe...OK that is kind of a joke, but the storage is vertical (so it would fit in the 18" closet) rather than horizontal like a chest.

put in a metal box hooked to an electric fence charger. just kidding, don't actually do that! But it is what I would do if it was me.

or

Insure said items for 10x their worth, Profit!

Spy cam might work too, if this person is doing this, get them out of there, a cam will help you do that.

i'm no help, sorry. but i just wanted to add that i can't believe we even have to worry about this! wth is wrong with people? people who steal make me sick!

scrouds said: Move? See if the college will move her to another room. Barring that, the way I always found space in the dorms was to raise the bed up on blocks and stash stuff in there. Half height cinder blocks and cinder block bricks all worked perfect for that sort of thing.

SIL gave us these things that looked like upside down plastic planters that the bed legs mount on. Raises it up enough to fit a lockable FootLocker under, etc. Got them a Bed & Bath or a place like that.

I agree kelchild. Guess I got spoiled because I've always had honest roommates so I didn't have to worry about theft.

mapatsfan said: scrouds said: Move? See if the college will move her to another room. Barring that, the way I always found space in the dorms was to raise the bed up on blocks and stash stuff in there. Half height cinder blocks and cinder block bricks all worked perfect for that sort of thing.

SIL gave us these things that looked like upside down plastic planters that the bed legs mount on. Raises it up enough to fit a lockable FootLocker under, etc. Got them a Bed & Bath or a place like that.

My college sold them, but they were expensive compared to $1/each for the blocks. And unless you put the cinder blocks tall side up, they were stable enough for anything you don't want to think the friend's daughter is doing.

The most expensive thing I had in my college dorm room was...clothes? Yes, it was a while back.
How about setting a trap by leaving the iphone out on a desk and catching the thief in action.

scrouds said: Move?

I'd insist on it. There's no way I'd live in a situation where I had to take my phone into the shower with me to keep it from being stolen.

Arent there locks on doors in the dorm rooms? Use them!

How about using a sturdy backpack or small luggage ('carry-on' size) and using luggage locks or small combination lock?
Use a bike lock or laptop lock to secure it to the bed.

I think I've seen small square footlockers that could double as a night stand/etc even in a small room.

Slightly OT, I saw in the Target ad a locking mini-fridge... highly recommend that one (from my niece's experience).
I also recommend for girls to try and use common shampoo/conditioner while living in a dorm; if you bring the expensive stuff, it tends to "disappear".

Tips I learned from a "mom's coffee" I go to twice a year (first & last day of school) from the mom's of college kids: pack a plastic shoe box full of first aid supplies (plus, tampons/etc for the girls and a small box of condoms for the boys) and another box filled with office supplies (stapler, glue, glue stick, printer ink, paper clips, rubber bands, etc). If you are sending kids off to school that will be doing their own laundry (and aren't very good at it), send with them Shout Color Catcher's.

KayK said: Arent there locks on doors in the dorm rooms? Use them!

That's a great idea. Cept for the whole "it's her roommate" thing.

hmm.. in that case.. how about recording video through webcam for security purposes? have some sort of motion detector software that records videos.

KayK said: hmm.. in that case.. how about recording video through webcam for security purposes? have some sort of motion detector software that records videos.there's that spy cam clock from HD a couple weeks back

KayK said: hmm.. in that case.. how about recording video through webcam for security purposes? have some sort of motion detector software that records videos.

and sell them on the internet to profit! who needs student loans? you creeping me out dude!

My first inclination is to beat the snot out of the roommate, but that's frowned upon.

I think securing the expensive stuff, having a talk with said klepto warning her and telling her SHE will be the one moving if it happens again, and then escalating to RA/campus police if necessary should work.

mom2jel said: How about using a sturdy backpack or small luggage ('carry-on' size) and using luggage locks or small combination lock?
Use a bike lock or laptop lock to secure it to the bed.

I think I've seen small square footlockers that could double as a night stand/etc even in a small room.

Slightly OT, I saw in the Target ad a locking mini-fridge... highly recommend that one (from my niece's experience).
I also recommend for girls to try and use common shampoo/conditioner while living in a dorm; if you bring the expensive stuff, it tends to "disappear".

Tips I learned from a "mom's coffee" I go to twice a year (first & last day of school) from the mom's of college kids: pack a plastic shoe box full of first aid supplies (plus, tampons/etc for the girls and a small box of condoms for the boys) and another box filled with office supplies (stapler, glue, glue stick, printer ink, paper clips, rubber bands, etc). If you are sending kids off to school that will be doing their own laundry (and aren't very good at it), send with them Shout Color Catcher's.

Give the girls condoms too. Make sure they know that pregnancy and disease prevention is their perogative as well. No glove, no love.

I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?

0AfterRebates said: I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?Room changes are harder than you think. You just can't go to the front desk and say "I live with a thief" without proof. Plus, if everyone changed roommates every time they wanted, then room changes would be too numerous to count and would go on all semester. At some point, the kids need to learn how to protect their belongings. If personal safety is an issue, then by all means, room changes should happen fast!

Of course, this is all said BEFORE my son moves into the dorm on Thursday. I could have a very different opinion after that! But I will encourage him to try all solutions before requesting a room change.

momgoingbroke said: 0AfterRebates said: I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?Room changes are harder than you think. You just can't go to the front desk and say "I live with a thief" without proof. Plus, if everyone changed roommates every time they wanted, then room changes would be too numerous to count and would go on all semester. At some point, the kids need to learn how to protect their belongings. If personal safety is an issue, then by all means, room changes should happen fast!

Of course, this is all said BEFORE my son moves into the dorm on Thursday. I could have a very different opinion after that! But I will encourage him to try all solutions before requesting a room change.

Your post reminded me of a guy friend who lived on dorm. His roommate had a girlfriend and ever so often she would come over and they would be boinking away ever so loudly. Needless to say my friend couldn't sleep. One night he couldn't take it anymore so he got out of bed, walked over and in no uncertain terms told them to take that ish elsewhere b/c he needs to sleep. It didn't happen again.

ChemElady said: momgoingbroke said: 0AfterRebates said: I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?Room changes are harder than you think. You just can't go to the front desk and say "I live with a thief" without proof. Plus, if everyone changed roommates every time they wanted, then room changes would be too numerous to count and would go on all semester. At some point, the kids need to learn how to protect their belongings. If personal safety is an issue, then by all means, room changes should happen fast!

Your post reminded me of a guy friend who lived on dorm. His roommate had a girlfriend and ever so often she would come over and they would be boinking away ever so loudly. Needless to say my friend couldn't sleep. One night he couldn't take it anymore so he got out of bed, walked over and in no uncertain terms told them to take that ish elsewhere b/c he needs to sleep. It didn't happen again.

WTF...the roommate stayed in the room while they were boinking? I always vacated the premises when my roommate was doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel(and he did the same for me).

JorgeBurrito said: ChemElady said: momgoingbroke said: 0AfterRebates said: I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?Room changes are harder than you think. You just can't go to the front desk and say "I live with a thief" without proof. Plus, if everyone changed roommates every time they wanted, then room changes would be too numerous to count and would go on all semester. At some point, the kids need to learn how to protect their belongings. If personal safety is an issue, then by all means, room changes should happen fast!

WTF...the roommate stayed in the room while they were boinking? I always vacated the premises when my roommate was doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel(and he did the same for me).

I had a roommate like this freshman year. Didn't really bother either of us.

JorgeBurrito said: ChemElady said: momgoingbroke said: 0AfterRebates said: I would just ask for a new room and move. Why would you want to live with someone you can't trust?Room changes are harder than you think. You just can't go to the front desk and say "I live with a thief" without proof. Plus, if everyone changed roommates every time they wanted, then room changes would be too numerous to count and would go on all semester. At some point, the kids need to learn how to protect their belongings. If personal safety is an issue, then by all means, room changes should happen fast!

Well at 1-2 am in the morning he really had no where to go. Sometimes they would come in late morning and he would be awaken by their love noise...lol.

CapEx said: JorgeBurrito said: WTF...the roommate stayed in the room while they were boinking? I always vacated the premises when my roommate was doing it like they do on the Discovery Channel(and he did the same for me).

I had a roommate like this freshman year. Didn't really bother either of us.

i think we're back to the whole webcam = profit discussion...

ChemElady said: Your post reminded me of a guy friend who lived on dorm. His roommate had a girlfriend and ever so often she would come over and they would be boinking away ever so loudly. Needless to say my friend couldn't sleep. One night he couldn't take it anymore so he got out of bed, walked over and in no uncertain terms told them to take that ish elsewhere b/c he needs to sleep. It didn't happen again.That's just plain nasty to even think of having sex while other people are in the room, especially who BELONG in the room!

Every single roommate I had at college was a virgin.

I vote for webcam, at least she can sell the footage online to make the $ back.

Webcam + free Drogem webcam motion detection software

Get a chest and put it under her bed. Get it big enough to hold her stuff plus some bricks or cinder blocks so it cant be easily carried away. Plus it can make a lovely couch.

I miss college.

private room will cost less in the long run verses having valuables stolen etc...the easy way out ...time to pay up parents if you can afford the expensive toys pay for the expensive storage. how much is peace of mind worth$$$

scrouds said: Every single roommate I had at college was a virgin.
and no longer after you, ahem, roomed with them?

When I was in college the beds in the dorm rooms were designed to work either as separate beds or you had the option to stack them and turn them into bunk beds. This also gave you the option to raise the mattress on the single bed up a good three feet off the floor. My roommate one year did this and used the space for storage. He even had enough room for a good size frig under there. That might give you more room to work with in looking for a solution.

Bensmomma said: I saw some things in the bed bath beyond flier a week or two ago. They were like small safes with a combo lock. The ad showed them with ipods and such inside. They did not seem too pricey. We have a firebox with a combination lock that could work. That was more expensive, though.

Edited to add link: This wasn't the one I saw but looks good

Thanks for the info. I can't believe it is out of stock already. I called my local store and they're out as well, and they don't plan to restock.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014