Anti-Inflammatory Drugs + Stomach Upset

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Does anyone have any experience with anti-inflammatory drugs that are easier on the stomach than others? I've taken ibuprofen and was even on Vioxx for two years and they both trashed my stomach so badly I had to stop taking them, I have chronic GERD. I really need to start taking something again and I need a cure that's not worse than the disease. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Matt C.

I'm not in the medical field, but the only OTC pain medication (be it anti-inflammatory or not) that does not upset my stomach is Tylenol (acetaminophen). Over the years I've tried all the others (aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve, etc.) and they all upset my stomach and on the whole have more and worse side effects than acetaminophen.

I'm assuming you're taking something for the GERD (Prilosec, etc.).

you could look for enteric coated ibuprofen. (doesn't dissolve past the coating until after your stomach.)

Are you taking something for the GERD?

(sorry - most anti-inflammatories inflame the stomach)

will do some research & post more info.

do you make sure you eat when taking your anti-inflammatories? That does help.

this article has some helpful advice

webmd said: You can reduce the risk of stomach problems when taking pain relievers -- but there are no guarantees.

Nearly every arthritis sufferer has taken a traditional painkiller like aspirin or Aleve. They are a great solution for relieving pain and inflammation, but there's a definite downside. These drugs often lead to more trouble including upset stomach and bleeding ulcers. There are some 20 traditional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs, including aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil and Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), indomethacin (Indocin), and piroxicam (Feldene). These drugs can bother the GI tract in a number of different ways, says Robert Hoffman, MD, chief of rheumatology at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. "Gastritis, esophageal reflux disease [heartburn or GERD], and bleeding ulcers are all problems that can develop from NSAIDs." Though there are a few things you can do to reduce stomach upsets, there are no guarantees that serious problems won't develop - serious enough to mean hospitalization and even death, he adds.

Older people with other medical problems are at especially increased risk. "If you're taking NSAIDS on a chronic basis, there's a very high percentage risk that you will develop significant symptoms," says Hoffman. The bottom line: "Don't treat an arthritis problem on your own. See a doctor." To keep yourself safe:

Use short term only. The FDA advises that over-the-counter NSAIDS be taken only for 10 days or so. Some people can control their pain this way, with no serious risks.

Take with food and water. Taking painkillers with a glass of water and a bit of food seems to ease stomach upsets. Sometimes taking an NSAID with an antacid or calcium supplement can help.

Stop bad habits. Alcohol and cigarette smoking will up your risk of stomach problems. Change time of day. Taking an NSAID in the afternoon or evening sometimes eases stomach upsets.

Check with your pharmacist. Are you taking other medications besides an NSAID? Some medications taken together can increase your risk of side effects. For instance, a blood thinner like Coumadin plus an NSAID can increase your risk of bleeding. Talk with your pharmacist or a doctor if you're taking another medication and an NSAID.

Know symptoms of trouble. "Sour stomach, abdominal pain, dark stools, bright blood in stools, and passing out -- these are all symptoms of problems like stomach ulcers," says Hoffman. However, many people don't have any symptoms even though they have serious or life-threatening bleeding, he adds. Another symptom is vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds. See a doctor for chronic pain. If you need extended relief for ongoing arthritis pain, get yourself to a doctor. That's the only way to really know if you have symptoms of stomach problems. Some patients are candidates for the Cox-inhibitor Celebrex or one of several prescription drugs called "selective" NSAIDs like Salsalate or Voltaren. Studies show that these drugs may cause fewer GI problems. Certain forms of arthritis could be treated with steroids or other specific treatments.

Also, certain non-NSAID painkillers like Tylenol (acetaminophen) appear to be safe when taken under a doctor's supervision for some forms of arthritis. Consider a second medication. Taking a second drug can reduce your risk of side effects related to traditional NSAIDs, says Hoffman. Among the options: an acid-blocking drug like Prilosec; an acid-reducing drug like Zantac; a histamine blocker like Tagamet; or an ulcer-preventive drug like Cytotec. A few combination drugs do include an NSAID plus a stomach-protective drug; these are available by prescription only.

I was going to suggest celebrex. I only know a couple of people who take it, and both had to switch over from nsaids because of esophogitis. Both are on daily nexium/prilosec (twice daily), so that might be a contributing factor. (As an aside...both are old drinking buddies from back in the day, and both were diagnosed within 6 mos of each other.)

We had a drug rep come by with samples of naproxen/prevacid combo packs. We only got a few, and I'm not sure how affective that was. I didn't hear back from anyone on it.

webferret said:   I was going to suggest celebrex. I only know a couple of people who take it, and both had to switch over from nsaids because of esophogitis. Both are on daily nexium/prilosec (twice daily), so that might be a contributing factor. (As an aside...both are old drinking buddies from back in the day, and both were diagnosed within 6 mos of each other.)

We had a drug rep come by with samples of naproxen/prevacid combo packs. We only got a few, and I'm not sure how affective that was. I didn't hear back from anyone on it.

CVS packages Omeprazole Magnesium which is similar to prevacid and is a capsule. I find that I digest that better than the hard brown tablets of the generic prilosec. I have the real ones now for hubby but, I didnt test it to see if they are better.

I'm really limited on what I can take anymore now that I've developed an allergy to aspirin (that means ibuprofen is out, too). I'm pretty much stuck with acetaminophen and it will screw my stomach up occasionally.

Jlovey2 said:   webferret said:   I was going to suggest celebrex. I only know a couple of people who take it, and both had to switch over from nsaids because of esophogitis. Both are on daily nexium/prilosec (twice daily), so that might be a contributing factor. (As an aside...both are old drinking buddies from back in the day, and both were diagnosed within 6 mos of each other.)

CVS packages Omeprazole Magnesium which is similar to prevacid and is a capsule. I find that I digest that better than the hard brown tablets of the generic prilosec. I have the real ones now for hubby but, I didnt test it to see if they are better.

Everyone is different. Like I said, I have 2 friends with the same disease. For one, nexium is the only thing that works for him. For the other, nexium does nothing. He uses OTC prilosec. Personally, I'm partial to prevacid. It seems to work better for me. I've been taking nexium for 3 weeks now, and I can't tell that it is helping very much at all.

formattc said:   Does anyone have any experience with anti-inflammatory drugs that are easier on the stomach than others? I've taken ibuprofen and was even on Vioxx for two years and they both trashed my stomach so badly I had to stop taking them, I have chronic GERD. I really need to start taking something again and I need a cure that's not worse than the disease. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Matt C.

i would do something like prilosec. I always tell my patients to be on some kind of PPI when they take NSAIDS

Curamin.
(curcumin and boswellia)

MSM

Apple cider vineagar (Braggs)

More of the same here.

Vimovo (naproxen/esomeprazole - Aleve/Nexium) is a NSAID/PPI combo tablet. It's naproxen 375 or 500 mg plus esomeprazole 20 mg taken twice daily. It costs about 6x generic naproxen plus omeprazole for 30 days and you need a script. A generic NSAID and PPI taken separately will likely do the same.

Turmeric (curcumin) has been sited for its anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties for things like arthritis, traumatic brain injury, and AD.

1) Make sure you take it with some food in your stomach (piece of toast, some crackers, etc)
2)Take generic Prilosec everyday
3) Try taking probiotics to see if it helps your GERD

mom2jel said:   1) Make sure you take it with some food in your stomach (piece of toast, some crackers, etc)

from personal experience, a stomachful of concrete won't help if you are really sensitive
I can take ibuprofen with food if I am careful and not taking it regularly (like for chronic cramps/headaches) but aleve/naproxen is absolute hell on my stomach, if I take just one dose it is too much -food makes no diff
sadly, tylenol does next to nothing for me

sublimosa said:   mom2jel said:   1) Make sure you take it with some food in your stomach (piece of toast, some crackers, etc)

from personal experience, a stomachful of concrete won't help if you are really sensitive
I can take ibuprofen with food if I am careful and not taking it regularly (like for chronic cramps/headaches) but aleve/naproxen is absolute hell on my stomach, if I take just one dose it is too much -food makes no diff
sadly, tylenol does next to nothing for me
sadly tylenol is all i can take these days. Found out the hardway I was allergic to ibuprofen in college so I havent taken since. And being the lush that I am, some day I am sure I will have raging hepatitis and then liver failure

Naproxen and prilosec work best for me and bonus,. I only have to take it 2 times a day. Try to schedule those times A-when you have eaten and try eating small meals but more often, B- are going to upright for a period of time (not lying down ), C-don't take if you have any GERD symptoms
another thing you can do is treat the affected joints themselves with ice or warmth, topical muscle creams, immobilization, exercise to maintain strength in the other parts of your body so that they don't get hurt.
I'm sorry you are having these problems, it's not easy. Hope you feel better
ps go here for free prilosec sample https://www.pgeverydaysolutions.com/pgeds/headshoulder-brandsamp...

I stopped taking Prilosec years ago, makes your hair fall out.
I just take OTC stuff now and take other steps to control my GERD.
I've heard about Celebrex and how a lot of people report less stomach problems than with nsaids.

Thanks for the great answers thus far, guys.

Chia seeds? for acid reflux
A friend is taking these instead of drugs and does not have acid reflux anymore.

You can use Ibuprofen rectally as there are instructions on the net.

handyguy said:   You can use Ibuprofen rectally as there are instructions on the net.

There ya go. That burning, ulcer creation...yeah...I want that up my ass.

I take prednisone daily--I have to take it in the morning w/ food. I take methotrexate once weekly. I sometimes have to take Prilosec (otc, generic)for stomach issues.

Mainly, I just make sure I take all my meds w/ food. I don't have a choice but to take the prednisone (or the methotrexate)--side effects of not taking them are worse than NOT taking them!

MarilynKay said:   I take prednisone daily--I have to take it in the morning w/ food. I take methotrexate once weekly. I sometimes have to take Prilosec (otc, generic)for stomach issues.

Mainly, I just make sure I take all my meds w/ food. I don't have a choice but to take the prednisone (or the methotrexate)--side effects of not taking them are worse than NOT taking them!
rheumatoid arthritis?

Are you using liquid gels? These are better for me.

Dose is 3x not 2x. One gal I know said the army told her to use 4x (800mg)

Not sure what you are taking it for but I have read recently that fish oil and flax oil can take away arthritis pain after a few weeks of use.

Corganiacs said:   MarilynKay said:   I take prednisone daily--I have to take it in the morning w/ food. I take methotrexate once weekly. I sometimes have to take Prilosec (otc, generic)for stomach issues.

rheumatoid arthritis?

Polymyositis
Dx'd about 18 months ago. My CPK @ time of diagnosis was over 17,000....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014