• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have been getting call from various charitable agencies after I contributed to Veteran's Charity once. It seems that the it either they are interlinked like one agency representing the various artificially( or legally) formed
charity ( representing veterans/cancer/armed forces etc...)

Phone no I received call from
1-877-241-8308 (8772418308)
1-877-202-9821 (8772029821)

See ---Link Discussion Links

-When asked about the percentage that goes into real cause, they would always pass the call to supervisor and I spoke to three of them on three different calls and they all said just 20% goes to the cause. 80% goes to the so called administrative fees. The first time I spoke to a supervisor he was very vague and on repeatedly questioning he finally revealed it( kind of said we keep remaining to raise more money).

This is way less than any I have heard of and I think its a scam. Even Red Cross uses approx 65% for real cause which I still think is way less.
-This is Loss to treasury in forms of tax exemption claimed by contributors
-Why is regulators allowing such agencies to operate?

How u can help
-Spread the message
-What can I do to stop such a scam?
-Always ask for percentage used for real cause. Any percentage less than 70% for the real cause is no good instead contribute to Red Cross( they have lot of logistics hence admin cost should be high). If its high then ask them to put you on no caller's list.
-How can I stop this? How to notify authorities?

Personally I would like to contribute to persons/organization in need. I would like to make a difference
I would like to start one such agencies to do the exact oppositei.e Contribute more than 80% to real cause.
Is this really possible? . Post your constructive criticism.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
You can get an idea of how effecient a charity is by looking them up on Charity Navigator..

If the charity you're looking at is not effecient, they will list alternatives that work in the same area.

Not only that, but I suspect they use the federal Do-Not-Call list as source material... after I had myself added to the list I suddenly started getting a LOT of charities calling looking for donations, whether money or goods. After the third "We'll have a truck in your area next week, what would you like to donate to us that day" call in one day, I got pretty fed up.

I don't get those since I don't have landline anymore. At my mom's house I always tells them to take off the list and NEVER contribute to anyone that cold calls.

Charities are not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from, or on behalf of, that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of up to $16,000.
Link

The telemarketers are keeping most of the money. I think somewhere around 70%. It's better to give directly to the charity.

I ALWAYS interrupt these annoying calls with "How much goes to overhead?" 80% seems to be the standard, and I always ask them to take me off their list. SCAMMERS!

I tell them that we haven chosen our list of charities for the year and we are sorry they did not make the cut.The calls this year have been few and far between. It seems to have worked because last year the phone was ringing off the hook.

I dont trust any charity that calls you. Most are scams. In NY we have a politcian from the bronx Pedro Espada who allegedly took $14 million over the a few years from a non-profit that he runs and then gave himself a $9 million severance package.

Please spread the message . Also to regulators to shutdown such ripoffs.
This is a deterrent to people donating to charity.

We need people to donate for good cause.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014