• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
i just don't understand why they just don't stay put and wait out instead of crossing. very sad very sad.

nvm... they were picniking and wondered out to the water and just got caught in the flash flood. RIP.

However, itís yet another example of a tragedy happening while someone chooses to videotape the incident rather than do anything to try and help.

That's just wrong. I'm a firefighter, and I don't think I'd even attempt to help them at that point. Anyone who tried to "help" would just add to the body count.

BrianGa said:   However, itís yet another example of a tragedy happening while someone chooses to videotape the incident rather than do anything to try and help.

That's just wrong. I'm a firefighter, and I don't think I'd even attempt to help them at that point. Anyone who tried to "help" would just add to the body count.

True that.....I'm a whitewater kayker and have done rescue rope training, and it's VERY easy to get pulled in whilst trying to pull someone out.

Well that wasn't a good idea to stop there.

That's sad.

Very sad - and dangerous even without a flood. Wet rocks are slippery.

Dang...that's horrible!

I don't understand why they were in the water so close to a waterfall to begin with. I'd prolly crap my pants if I was just standing on the bank that close.

It feels unreal that human beings died as a consequence of the events in that video. Sitting at the computer I expected all five of them to have been found alive, washed up on shore somewhere downstream. It seems almost 'silly', to the point of impossibility, that people would die from such a benign accident / wrong place & time scenario.

I wonder why that is.

I guess I must not have experienced too many deaths in my lifetime.

Captions/article aside, did any of you while watching the video immediately think - 'oh shit, they're going to die'?

I was surprised there wasn't debris in the water. I was fully expecting half a tree to pile into them. Flash floods are serious business.

bigcat007 said:   I don't understand why they were in the water so close to a waterfall to begin with. I'd prolly crap my pants if I was just standing on the bank that close.

If they'd been swept away at some other point in the river, they'd still have drowned, most likely.

This is exactly why some people choose to stampede out of danger rather than leave in an orderly fashion.

Not going to watch, I don't care to see people lose their life

Sad...was it a flashflood or upstreams dam water being released?

HumDoHamaraDo said:   Sad...was it a flashflood or upstreams dam water being released?
It was a flashflood.

ETA: According to wikipedia, it's a 200 ft drop.

On a trip to Kauai we stopped at a waterfall. There wasn't much water and it looked benign enough but a sign warned of the danger of slippery rocks at the edge. It also stated that some people who slipped had fallen to their deaths. I kept my feet dry.

bigcat007 said:   I don't understand why they were in the water so close to a waterfall to begin with. I'd prolly crap my pants if I was just standing on the bank that close.

If you look at the first few seconds of video the water level looked pretty benign. If you fell I don't think you would even get carried over the falls. The river rose awful fast, if that type of thing is expected for that region then they were foolish. Amazed that 2 people survived. Does anyone speak their language. Just wondering if anything interesting was on the audio?

The Yosemite one seems like less of an accident and more like foolishness. Here's an article with a picture. On the very right of the picture is a rock out in the river. From the descriptions it almost sounds like they went there to get their pictures taken. Looks very hazardous.

BrianGa said:   However, itís yet another example of a tragedy happening while someone chooses to videotape the incident rather than do anything to try and help.

The person with the camera couldn't help them. I don't think anyone could, even if they had the proper equipment, rope, rescue experience, right there. Between the time the video started where the water was just making itself into that area and the time they got stuck clinging to the rocks, was only about 10 seconds. About 50 seconds later, they were washed away. There's no way to coordinate a rescue in less than minute. True, anyone trying to help would have just ended up being a statistic. I'm amazed that two managed to survive. Falling off a 200 foot waterfall (about 20 stories) could easily kill even the most experienced cliff-jumping divers.

burgerwars said:    I'm amazed that two managed to survive. Falling off a 200 foot waterfall (about 20 stories) could easily kill even the most experienced cliff-jumping divers.

Still amazing of course but it wasn't all one drop like some other waterfalls.

i still don't understand how they could have gone out to the middle when there's the 200 foot drop not too far from where they were at. i guess they weren't thinking that the rocks could be slippery and they could fall anytime? very very tragic.

For some reason, I hadn't seen the first few seconds of the video the first time.After watching a second time, it almost looks like a dry river bed, but by 15 seconds into it the water is like a cauldron and their fate is sealed.

bigcat007 said:   For some reason, I hadn't seen the first few seconds of the video the first time.After watching a second time, it almost looks like a dry river bed, but by 15 seconds into it the water is like a cauldron and their fate is sealed.

Yes. I was amazing how many people were on the water bed and luckily escaped. I don't know what caused the first two to just stop and watch, but in the next second, their pathway out was covered by the water and the rest was history. Couldn't believe the writer of the story insinuated that the person taking the video shirked any duty. Nobody on the shore could do anything for them. They were able bodied people who made the mistake of heading for a large rock instead of going directly to the shore.

On the Yosemite accident...

Family hires consultant to assess safety.

I found this video where they interviewed the survivors of the fall but I don't speak Hindi so no clue what they are saying.

Maybe someone can translate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-la0vAZ0I

JamesTKirk said:   On the Yosemite accident...

sniff sniff.. i smell a lawsuit coming.

ZenNUTS said:   JamesTKirk said:   On the Yosemite accident...

I also think so. When the waterfall "was built," it obviously didn't come with a safety barrier or warning signs. People need to take responsibility for their own safety. I've been to places like Niagara Falls and the Cliffs of Moher. There are signs warning people along with barriers, but if people climb around or over them, they do so at their own risk. What do these families expect? A 20 foot high brick wall preventing anyone from getting over it while not being able to see anything? If they're so concerned for safety, everyone should stay home and just view the falls on You Tube.

ZenNUTS said:   JamesTKirk said:   On the Yosemite accident...

Obviously in this case "consultant" = lawyer. Maybe the lawyer can go inspect the scene first-hand and someone can push him over the edge.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014