• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I had a Bumble Bee flying around my family room early this morning --- he landed on the screen and I closed the window trapping him

my son is terrified of any kind of bees (he was stung by a wasp recently)

the window can't stay closed forever because it is used for cooling --- trade winds blow in the house from that side

what should I do with the Bumble Bee?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Put a jar over it, slide a piece of paper under (over) the jar openeing, release the bee outside.

the window is one those modern sliding ones in which the whole window will slide open from right to left --- I am afraid that by the time I could get a jar in place he will just fly out

germanpope said:   the window is one those modern sliding ones in which the whole window will slide open from right to left --- I am afraid that by the time I could get a jar in place he will just fly out

Nah, done it more times than I can count, just open the window slowly. A clear drinking glass might work better, bigger opening. I did this with a fast-moving Wolf Spider just the other day. Remember, the bees die, we die.

I have wasp spray available to shoot through the screen from the other side --- but I am trying to avoid that option as I am already saddened by having to wage war with my house mice

You have to sing the bumblebee song while you are catching it though.

Caught myself a baby bumblebee

formattc said:   germanpope said:   the window is one those modern sliding ones in which the whole window will slide open from right to left --- I am afraid that by the time I could get a jar in place he will just fly out

Nah, done it more times than I can count, just open the window slowly. A clear drinking glass might work better, bigger opening. I did this with a fast-moving Wolf Spider just the other day. Remember, the bees die, we die.

I always see Bumble Bee's by themselves --- do they pollinate like the rest of the bees?

can't you open the screen from the outside without opening the window?

oops, sorry for the caps on bumble bee --- I am not referring to the can of tuna

enterkey said:   can't you open the screen from the outside without opening the window?

I suppose I could go out and pry it off, but I am always worried about bending the screen frame when I do that.

germanpope said:   formattc said:   germanpope said:   the window is one those modern sliding ones in which the whole window will slide open from right to left --- I am afraid that by the time I could get a jar in place he will just fly out

I always see Bumble Bee's by themselves --- do they pollinate like the rest of the bees?

A bumble bee (also written as bumblebee) is any member of the bee genus Bombus, in the family Apidae. There are over 250 known species, existing primarily in the Northern Hemisphere although they are common in New Zealand and in the Australian state of Tasmania.

Bumble bees are social insects that are characterised by black and yellow body hairs, often in bands. However, some species have orange or red on their bodies, or may be entirely black.[1] Another obvious (but not unique) characteristic is the soft nature of the hair (long, branched setae), called pile, that covers their entire body, making them appear and feel fuzzy. They are best distinguished from similarly large, fuzzy bees by the form of the female hind leg, which is modified to form a corbicula: a shiny concave surface that is bare, but surrounded by a fringe of hairs used to transport pollen (in similar bees, the hind leg is completely hairy, and pollen grains are wedged into the hairs for transport).

Like their relatives the honey bees, bumble bees feed on nectar and gather pollen to feed their young.

Bumble Bee

webferret said:   You have to sing the bumblebee song while you are catching it though.

Hmmm, in that oh so very short (blessedly so because I wanted to slap her in the first ten seconds) there were no bumvlebees harmed in the making of that song unlike the version I know in which after it stings me:
"I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee won't my mama be so proud of me..."

sublimosa said:   webferret said:   You have to sing the bumblebee song while you are catching it though.

Hmmm, in that oh so very short (blessedly so because I wanted to slap her in the first ten seconds) there were no bumvlebees harmed in the making of that song unlike the version I know in which after it stings me:
"I'm squishing up a baby bumblebee won't my mama be so proud of me..."

On another site (with the lyrics) there was a disclaimer warning that the lyrics could be offensive.

Wonder how they feel about little rabbit foo-foo.

Little bunny foo foo
Hopping throught the forest
Scooping up the field mice
And boppin em on the head.

joyrae said:   Little bunny foo foo

My kids changed that to BASHING them on the head. With really strong hand movements.

Or maybe we changed it in Camp Fire Girls. We were a rough bunch o' campers.

joyrae said:   Little bunny foo foo

hey, what's a little brain damage compared to being squished into oblivion?
(and of course, after reading your post, I had to do the scoopping and boppin' gestures!)
you think Foo Foo might have been part cat to have such antipathy for poor little field mousers?

thread update --- he isn't moving any more

update #2 --- I went out and removed the screen

he is still alive!

flew off into the blue sky day!

I feel better now singing Auld Lang Syne

Next time just spray him with some water from outside. It causes him to fall & you can pick him up. You may have a nest nearby, they are in teh ground.

handyguy said:   Next time just spray him with some water from outside. It causes him to fall & you can pick him up. You may have a nest nearby, they are in teh ground.

Usually, not always. I replaced the fascia on my garage when I painted, 2x8, not cheap. Anyway, There were some perfectly round holes in the wood, as if someone had taken a " drill bit to it. Turns out, there were bumble bees nesting inside, and they were none too happy about my pulling their home down. I just left the wood lay overnight and they moved on to greener pastures. This time, I thoroughly primed and painted the fascia, no bare wood under the gutter when I rehung it.

Should have told your son to grow a set, then opened the window, and made him chase the bee and swat at it with his bare hand until one of them went down hard. America is raising a bunch of soft wimps.

Kill all bees. We get our honey from China now.

looks like he got out

(limo - video is of person in a functional bumblebee costume - the one from transformers)

formattc said:   handyguy said:   Next time just spray him with some water from outside. It causes him to fall & you can pick him up. You may have a nest nearby, they are in teh ground.

Usually, not always. I replaced the fascia on my garage when I painted, 2x8, not cheap. Anyway, There were some perfectly round holes in the wood, as if someone had taken a " drill bit to it. Turns out, there were bumble bees nesting inside, and they were none too happy about my pulling their home down. I just left the wood lay overnight and they moved on to greener pastures. This time, I thoroughly primed and painted the fascia, no bare wood under the gutter when I rehung it.

Those sound likeCarpenter Bees not Bumble bees. I was just introduced to these guys this year with my outdoor shed. Same holes as you describe. Also very aggressive in that they patrol their area and dive bomb you, but they rarely sting apparently. Took some time to get over that. Damn bees are huge compared to honeybees.

Carpenter Bees + tennis racket = tons of fun... for me.

I have a nest somewhere in back so they come in the front door fly to the backroom & try to get out but can't. So they then just fall into my bed. Found some buzzing in there a few times when I got in bed & stung once too. It's pretty mild not like a honey bee, they don't have the same venom.

Click to get stung.
Disclaimer
Was it a Super Bee?

elist said:   formattc said:   handyguy said:   Next time just spray him with some water from outside. It causes him to fall & you can pick him up. You may have a nest nearby, they are in teh ground.

Those sound likeCarpenter Bees not Bumble bees. I was just introduced to these guys this year with my outdoor shed. Same holes as you describe. Also very aggressive in that they patrol their area and dive bomb you, but they rarely sting apparently. Took some time to get over that. Damn bees are huge compared to honeybees.

Wow, that's a trip, they look just like bumble bees. I did think it was odd that they were so aggressive. They were attacking my bud and I with extreme prejudice.

formattc said:   elist said:   formattc said:   handyguy said:   Next time just spray him with some water from outside. It causes him to fall & you can pick him up. You may have a nest nearby, they are in teh ground.

Wow, that's a trip, they look just like bumble bees. I did think it was odd that they were so aggressive. They were attacking my bud and I with extreme prejudice.

maybe they thought you had a sweet ass?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014