Extreme Cheapskates on TLC

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
There's a show on TLC now (9pm EST)called "Extreme Cheapskates". The first guy collects leftover food from other people in restaurants. He uses paper towels and washes them out and hangs them on a clothesline to dry and re-use. Now he's looking for a cheap anniversary gift for his wife, and doesn't want to spend over $10. Dumpster diving now.

yeah.....turn it off, don't encourage a further buildup of garbage on television (that network specifically)

tuned in. pretty interesting. i don't think anyone would call me a cheapskate by any means, but this makes me look like a frivolous rockefeller

Time = Money. My time ain't worth washing and drying paper towels or peeling two ply toilet paper into two single plies.

0AfterRebates said:   Time = Money. My time ain't worth washing and drying paper towels or peeling two ply toilet paper into two single plies.
Yes, but for some people, time is all they got to spend.

0AR was spot on.

Here's what I don't understand: if you are going to the expense of purchasing disposable items, why reuse them? Why not use regular dishes, cotton towels, etc. I have a friend who uses "throwaway" (her term) glasses, yet she washes them. When I ask her why she doesn't just use her regular glasses, she says because "these are throwaway." But you don't throw them away! What's the point? She also washes and reuses ziplock bags. Again, why not just use regular storage containers?

My type of SHOW!

Not to mention the resources used in washing a paper towel vs. just using a new one. How much water is used/wasted in the process? And like 0AR said, time is $$$.

sportsfan64 said:    Now he's looking for a cheap anniversary gift for his wife, and doesn't want to spend over $10.
I recall a thread by a member here with that exact topic. I even remember the username.

webferret said:   Here's what I don't understand: if you are going to the expense of purchasing disposable items, why reuse them? Why not use regular dishes, cotton towels, etc. I have a friend who uses "throwaway" (her term) glasses, yet she washes them. When I ask her why she doesn't just use her regular glasses, she says because "these are throwaway." But you don't throw them away! What's the point? She also washes and reuses ziplock bags. Again, why not just use regular storage containers?

There is some benefit in using cheap stuff. I only take cheap plastic containers to work (usually those Rubbermaid stacks, sometimes the throwaway ones. I then toss around at will, microwave, and otherwise treat it bad. I would never do that to my tupperware.

kamalktk said:   sportsfan64 said:    Now he's looking for a cheap anniversary gift for his wife, and doesn't want to spend over $10.
I recall a thread by a member here with that exact topic. I even remember the username.

Is that your 2 cnts? OOps You dropped one.

webferret said:   Here's what I don't understand: if you are going to the expense of purchasing disposable items, why reuse them? Why not use regular dishes, cotton towels, etc. I have a friend who uses "throwaway" (her term) glasses, yet she washes them. When I ask her why she doesn't just use her regular glasses, she says because "these are throwaway." But you don't throw them away! What's the point? She also washes and reuses ziplock bags. Again, why not just use regular storage containers?

For some silly reason I can not give you green. So here it is.

Just got it to work after posting.

Extreme Cheapskates in FWF is more fun

TV program are not the same as they used to be

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014