• filter:
  • 1161162163164 165
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
So, I finally had to unfriend the animal rights activist on Facebook, the chick who posted all the gory pics. This time she posted a photo and statement showing two combat vets, a soldier and a marine with signs that said "not heroes" alongside a pic of the draft dodger Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) with the caption "hero" on it. Cleaning the crazy off my friends list.....

ETA: It scares me that there are people like this out there, and this chick is rural Kansas, not an inner city nutjob. 

rated:
formattc said:   So, I finally had to unfriend the animal rights activist on Facebook, the chick who posted all the gory pics. This time she posted a photo and statement showing two combat vets, a soldier and a marine with signs that said "not heroes" alongside a pic of the draft dodger Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) with the caption "hero" on it. Cleaning the crazy off my friends list.....

ETA: It scares me that there are people like this out there, and this chick is rural Kansas, not an inner city nutjob. 
I'm pro animals.. but anti-nutjobs like the one you mentioned.
Oh.. and don't get me started on PETA.

rated:
KayK said:   I'm pro animals.. but anti-nutjobs like the one you mentioned.
Oh.. and don't get me started on PETA.

  
Agreed, and this one thinks we shouldn't even drink milk. She literally calls for boycotts of milk! 

rated:
formattc said:   KayK said:   I'm pro animals.. but anti-nutjobs like the one you mentioned.
Oh.. and don't get me started on PETA.

  
Agreed, and this one thinks we shouldn't even drink milk. She literally calls for boycotts of milk! 
That's crazy. No milk? Wow.
I'm a vegetarian.. but even I don't think people should not eat meat.
My concerns are usually about how humanely or inhumanely the animals treated and/or killed.
Puppy mill owners should rot and burn in hell.

rated:
Again, agreed, if you want a dog or cat then go down to the shelter and pick one out. Better yet, take a stray directly off the street if you can.

rated:
I'm about to unfriend another crazy for posting this bullshit, and this Guy I know, dated his big sister when I was 17. 

ETA: My response was that all those entitlements are meaningless if we're unable to defend ourselves. 

rated:
Instead of trying to shock normal people or appealing to fringe elements, some of these groups would be much more effective at changing behavior if they took a more modest approach. Since almost everyone, cats excepted, loves puppies; it wouldn't be hard to convince people to avoid puppy mills. The same with appealing for more humane treatment of farm animals. Unfortunately, some groups alienate people who might actually support more modest proposals. I'd be happy to listen to suggestions from someone with a less confrontational approach, but I would hide or run away from someone holding a PETA poster.

Saying we should expect our allies to pay for more of the cost of their own defense is hardly controversial. Suggesting that we buy fewer fighters or aircraft carriers or reduce troop levels in Germany or South Korea isn't unreasonable. Calling our soldiers war criminals solely because they serve in combat isn't going to make legislators appear alongside at a campaign event.

Its probably too much to expect moderation from groups who picked a single cause to champion, when politicians who should know better do some of the same things. Too many politicians take a reasonable idea which might receive bipartisan support, and morph it into some outlandish proposal that will never pass. I don't feel a need to give examples, since many posters could fill a page with examples on both sides of the aisle.

rated:
formattc said:   I'm about to unfriend another crazy for posting this bullshit, and this Guy I know, dated his big sister when I was 17. 

ETA: My response was that all those entitlements are meaningless if we're unable to defend ourselves. 

  We can defend ourselves with only a tiny fraction of what we spend on defense.  We spend more than the next 10 nations combined, and they all seem to defend themselves just fine.  If we want to massively cut spending it has to start with defense spending.  Entitlements should be cut as well, medicare and medicaid in particular we need to do something about, but anyone that thinks defense spending isn't a major problem in this country is not actually looking at the facts.

rated:
peta doesn't believe in pets

rated:
shooting animals in a fenced in area is not "hunting"....also, old news is old news

rated:
JorgeBurrito said:   
formattc said:   I'm about to unfriend another crazy for posting this bullshit, and this Guy I know, dated his big sister when I was 17. 

ETA: My response was that all those entitlements are meaningless if we're unable to defend ourselves. 

  We can defend ourselves with only a tiny fraction of what we spend on defense.  We spend more than the next 10 nations combined, and they all seem to defend themselves just fine.  If we want to massively cut spending it has to start with defense spending.  Entitlements should be cut as well, medicare and medicaid in particular we need to do something about, but anyone that thinks defense spending isn't a major problem in this country is not actually looking at the facts.

  In theory, absolutely, but with any big organization there will be inefficiency built in.  It's really no different than saying we can balance the budget if we can stop tax cheating or we can cut welfare in 1/2 if we stop giving $ to the durggies..

Having said that, the F35 project will go on in history as one of the worst project ever.  We often talk about it while we plan for big project ourselves as how not to go about doing things.  btw F22 isn't a whole lot better and it's has been in "operation" for over a decade now.

rated:
ryeny3 said:   
larrymoencurly said:   
ryeny3 said:   
larrymoencurly said:   
ryeny3 said:   
larrymoencurly said:    What kind of work do you do, and what was your college major?
I don't like providing personal info online but I will give a few details. STEMS undergrad. MBA from a top program (sometimes ranked #1). Worked at an investment bank until I left for my dream job. Your turn.

If you have time, please try to answer my questions?

I'm surprised you were a STEM major because they're usually flexible, practical, and not so out of touch with real life, unless they're more the management type or have been working in a General Motors type environment for so long that their soul and hope have been sucked out.   I had you for an accountant or insurance adjuster.  But because your MBA is from a sometimes #1 ranked program (gotta be Harvard, Chicago, Wharton, or Stanford), what did I mean about Democrats not having a filibuster-proof majority even with 100 of them in the Senate, and why shouldn't political power be judged just by head counts by party?

It's not personal information unless ryeny3 is your real name.

Perhaps because of my background during school and after graduation, I don't accept someone's comments as facts unless they have the ability to back them up which so far you haven't. One problem that extremely partisan people have is that they are unable to accept that others aren't idiots if they don't agree with them.   In many instances, such people have an almost religious belief that they are right but somehow can't justify their opinions. Perhaps they spend so much time with others that agree with them that they never expended the effort to analyze their own beliefs. Maybe those people should look in the mirror before calling someone inflexible, impractical, out of touch, or unintelligent.

Although you appear to have consciously avoided making your point explicitly, I am pretty sure I understand your assertion. Unfortunately, you keep trying to insult me instead of providing reasons to support your claim. In both my example, the ACA cloture vote which is the topic of discussion, and in the one you chose, the Clinton impeachment; every Democrat voted strictly along party lines. Although it doesn't mean that every Democrat didn't believe in the cause, it certainly doesn't support what I believe is your argument that Democrats are less likely to vote as a monolithic group than Republicans. 

Whether I went to MIT and Stanford or a state school for each shouldn't make a difference. Working at Goldman before leaving to start a HF or PE fund shouldn't make a person's opinions on politics more credible than those of someone who took a less lucrative career path. Your background doesn't necessarily determine the worth of your opinions. If you think can justify your criticism of my intellect and judgment, go for it.

Since I have taken the time to answer your questions, please make an attempt to respond to my earlier questions. Also, not that it matters, but what is your education and work experience?


Why are you mentioning extremely partisan people here? I voted for Obama twice, voted for Bob Dole over Bill Clinton (couldn't vote in 1992 but probably would have chosen George Bush over him), wanted Clinton to resign in 1995 (but thought impeachment and the Senate trial were kangaroo courts, and everybody who voted to kick out Clinton was 100% wrong), and am a Republican, so what is my political bias?

If it doesn't matter what school you went to, you wouldn't have said that school was sometimes ranked #1.  Similarly, why do you think  working for Goldman Sachs or in the hedge fund or private equity business would make someone's political opinions more credible?  If anything, most people think such financial types are sociopaths.

A partisan is a strong supporter of a party, cause or person. Extreme partisans frequently make unsubstantiated claims and then either refuse to defend or are unable to support their assertions. They sometimes try to use insults and distraction, rather than logic and facts, during discussions. You criticized me on several levels for making the point that Democrats deserve the credit or blame for the health care law that passed with no Republican votes. So far, you have not provided any evidence to support you statement about 100 Senate Democrats not being a filibuster-proof majority. Although I doubt that you are willing and able to support your point; since I enjoy learning and appreciate new information, I hope I am wrong.  

I would be surprised to learn that there were Senators who refused to support a cloture vote if such a vote would derail his or her party's most important legislation. I don't imagine President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid would have responded well to a Democrat that voted against ending debate on the ACA. Whether based on conviction, party unity or personal gain, every Democrat in the Senate voted the same way on the ACA. Democrats had 60 or more Senators, a majority in the House and the Presidency twice since 1975. Forget about the 40+ percent of Democrats who would need to vote against cloture for your assertion to be credible. Are there any occasions when one or more Senate Democrats voted against ending a filibuster and caused their party's legislation to fail?

I didn't volunteer my education or work history. Since you were questioning my intelligence, instead of providing facts to support your assertions, I wanted to stop the line of attack. Saying I went to one or more top schools prevents you from proceeding to argue that I must have received an MBA from an unaccredited school because I didn't accept your claims without proof. The fact that I was a STEM major (like many posters on FW) and whether or not I went to better schools than someone else, doesn't IMO make my arguments more credible. On the other hand, what I studied and what I did mattered enough to you that you felt the need to ask. Since it was so important to you to know my education and work history, why not provide yours?

The only reason I asked for them was to see if they matched the typical personality for them.

I never thought you were anything but smart, and I don't see how you got the impression that I thought otherwise. 

rated:
scrouds said:   
larrymoencurly said:   so what is my political bias?
  Schitzo

  More like, not a blind follower of anybody.

rated:
formattc said:   So, I finally had to unfriend the animal rights activist on Facebook, the chick who posted all the gory pics. This time she posted a photo and statement showing two combat vets, a soldier and a marine with signs that said "not heroes" alongside a pic of the draft dodger Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) with the caption "hero" on it. Cleaning the crazy off my friends list.....

ETA: It scares me that there are people like this out there, and this chick is rural Kansas, not an inner city nutjob. 

  You haven't met any of those radical British plants rights activists.

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   
JorgeBurrito said:   
formattc said:   I'm about to unfriend another crazy for posting this bullshit, and this Guy I know, dated his big sister when I was 17. 

ETA: My response was that all those entitlements are meaningless if we're unable to defend ourselves. 

  We can defend ourselves with only a tiny fraction of what we spend on defense.  We spend more than the next 10 nations combined, and they all seem to defend themselves just fine.  If we want to massively cut spending it has to start with defense spending.  Entitlements should be cut as well, medicare and medicaid in particular we need to do something about, but anyone that thinks defense spending isn't a major problem in this country is not actually looking at the facts.

  In theory, absolutely, but with any big organization there will be inefficiency built in.  It's really no different than saying we can balance the budget if we can stop tax cheating or we can cut welfare in 1/2 if we stop giving $ to the durggies..

Having said that, the F35 project will go on in history as one of the worst project ever.  We often talk about it while we plan for big project ourselves as how not to go about doing things.  btw F22 isn't a whole lot better and it's has been in "operation" for over a decade now.

  The flyaway cost of the F-22 is about the same as the F-35 and the F-22 is much more capable. The F-35 will be much cheaper to maintain over time because it doesn't have the touchy stealth coating that the F-22 has. The stealth features on the F-35 are much easier and cheaper to maintain. The real fly in the ointment is the export ban on the F-22 that remains in place today, we won't export it even to our best allies. The whole premise of the F-35 is that it's basically this generation's F-16, we're sharing it with a bunch of countries thus lowering the cost for everyone. I agree, it's been a fiasco as far as cost and schedule overruns, but that's largely a function of Congress delaying funding, like they always do. Delay a program enough or cut the overall buy and the cost goes up, period, the contractor has to make their money. There have been technical glitches that have also driven up costs, but the people in charge of the purse strings use every little one to delay funding further, making the the cost issue even worse. The exception is the software, that's on the contractor and it's been an ongoing problem. The fully functional version won't be ready till 2019. I think history will show the overall program as a success. With far lower man hours required for maintenance and the USN, USMC and USAF all flying it (parts commonality) it will be much cheaper over the life of the program. 

rated:
So my buddy runs the city website where I live, as well as their Facebook page. He previously had a live feed to a police scanner but can't now because the police department has gone to encrypted radios, no one can listen to them now except other emergency services. More evidence of the police state. What are they afraid of our hearing?

rated:
Time for a constitutional amendment? Good or bad? Can we fix our broken election system by limiting spending?

https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-joint-resol...

S.J.Res.19 — 113th Congress (2013-2014)
Grants Congress and the states the power to regulate the raising and spending of money and in-kind equivalents with respect to federal and state elections, respectively.

rated:
limit time frames before going after spending amounts

rated:
Make pants optional.

rated:
Forgive me for not sharing your excitement over your newest rugrat when you work in fast food and are already on welfare.

rated:
Is O mentally checked out?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/right-and-left-finally-agree-ob... 

Lately, I'm beginning to wonder. While there are a lot of thing outside his control. Letting the relation between US and Germany deteriorate to this point is inexcusable. Now I wonder if 8 years is too long for anyone to be in that position. Maybe a limit of 1 term, 6 years.

edit: spelling

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   Is O mentally checked out?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/right-and-left-finally-agree-ob... 

Lately, I'm beginning to wonder. While there are a lot of thing outside his control. Letting the relation between US and Germany deteriorate to this point is inexcusable. Now I wonder if 8 years is too long for anyone to be in that position. Maybe a limit of 1 term, 6 years.

edit: spelling

  Possibly.  Two-termers definitely age 20 years easy. W, Clinton and Reagan all suffered this and it looks like The One is experiencing it too.  

rated:
formattc said:   Forgive me for not sharing your excitement over your newest rugrat when you work in fast food and are already on welfare.
  Why does the US have much more of that than Canada, especially in the Most Moral® region of the US?

rated:
larrymoencurly said:   
formattc said:   Forgive me for not sharing your excitement over your newest rugrat when you work in fast food and are already on welfare.
  Why does the US have much more of that than Canada, especially in the Most Moral® region of the US?

 is that conjecture?  Not to make a kerfluffle out of this, but you have numbers for this, eh?

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 1161162163164 165
  • Page


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014