• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just signed up to go to one of the Direct Buy sales pitches. I'm not going to buy it, I'm just going for the free android tablet and $100 (probably restaurant.com) "gift card." I was assured that I'd leave the presentation with the tablet and coupon code for the restaurants in-hand.

After googling for a bit, it sounds like most people are being forced to pay about $60 in "shipping" charges for the android tablet. I had, in no uncertain terms, verified that I'd leave the presentation with the physical tablet in-hand.

Does anyone have any experience with this promotion? I'm very hard-headed, so high-pressure sales pitches don't work on me. I just want to make sure I'll get the cheap-o tablet to add to my android development testbed.

Thanks!
squinky86

Addendum: If no one has any experience with this sales pitch, I'll update this post after our visit Thursday evening and let you guys know if it's legit

Update 4/13, from my post below:
squinky86 said:   Very nice sales presentation. It wasn't as high-pressure as I thought. The presenter handed us the tablet and restaurant.com gift card on our way out and thanked us for coming. The tablet is a cheap Chinese one with a few dead pixels, Android 2.3.3. I did some math there with some prices I brought and pointed out that it wouldn't make financial sense to join until we were building a house (which we plan to do in 6 years).

The only "high pressure" part was that he said we'd be blocked from joining again for the next 7 years. When I said that it's against my principles to just sign something and not shop around, and that I was genuinely impressed with a few of their prices, I pointed out that there was surely a way I could join in 6 years if it made financial sense at that time. He just smiled, backed off his claim, said that he understood (implying that he would be able to let us in in the future), and handed us the tablet and gift card. Very painless, very kind, and an overall very positive sales pitch experience.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My husband and I went to the Fresno Ca location one at the end of the meeting they brought us the tablet and gift card ... (more)

babycattigger (Aug. 13, 2012 @ 1:08p) |

i think i'd have a problem with this. but to each their own, i guess

morecowbell (Aug. 13, 2012 @ 2:50p) |

Don't bring your wife if you don't want to share.

scrouds (Aug. 14, 2012 @ 8:52a) |

That is how these work. I went to a high pressure sales pitch a few years ago where everyone got a "free" digital camera. At the end you got a card that you had to mail in with $10 shipping for the camera. And the picture of the camera looked like what you would expect from a $10 camera.

DirectBuy is known as one of the biggest scams going. You will be spammed mercilessly now for years to come.

formattc said:   DirectBuy is known as one of the biggest scams going.

DirectBuy....Isn't that the "we'll offer you discounts on home improvement stuff, but give you no idea of how big the discounts are until you pay us a ton of money" company?

Sounds like this is going to be a fun experience then... Look at all these positive reviews from fatwalleters!

Has anyone participated in the free android tablet scam...er...promotion yet?

Wear a fatwallet t-shirt when you go.

FW10001 said:   Wear a fatwallet t-shirt when you go. I think I like the "I already bought it online..." one from last year better than the "TGIBF" one from the year before. I have it set out and ready to go! Great idea, but do you really think they'll know what FW is?

If they guarantee you'll walk out with a tablet in hand, they probably mean an aspirin.

Very nice sales presentation. It wasn't as high-pressure as I thought. The presenter handed us the tablet and restaurant.com gift card on our way out and thanked us for coming. The tablet is a cheap Chinese one with a few dead pixels, Android 2.3.3. I did some math there with some prices I brought and pointed out that it wouldn't make financial sense to join until we were building a house (which we plan to do in 6 years).

The only "high pressure" part was that he said we'd be blocked from joining again for the next 7 years. When I said that it's against my principles to just sign something and not shop around, and that I was genuinely impressed with a few of their prices, I pointed out that there was surely a way I could join in 6 years if it made financial sense at that time. He just smiled, backed off his claim, said that he understood (implying that he would be able to let us in in the future), and handed us the tablet and gift card. Very painless, very kind, and an overall very positive sales pitch experience.

squinky86 said:   Very nice sales presentation. It wasn't as high-pressure as I thought. The presenter handed us the tablet and restaurant.com gift card on our way out and thanked us for coming. The tablet is a cheap Chinese one with a few dead pixels, Android 2.3.3. I did some math there with some prices I brought and pointed out that it wouldn't make financial sense to join until we were building a house (which we plan to do in 6 years).

I guarantee if you do a bit of work calling around etc. that you can beat the few prices that you thought were a decent deal.

Did you have to activate the table? Will it is just connect up to you router? Did you pay any fees?

pkoenig said:   Did you have to activate the table? Will it is just connect up to you router? Did you pay any fees? no, just typed in google account details. Yes, wpa2. Not a cent.

i went and i walked out with a 50.00 resturant.com gift card and a piece of paper stating they was out of tablets and they would call me in about 1 week to pick up my tablet.

Holy thread revival, Batman!

We got the tablet and the &100 restaurant gift certs- the tablet was slow and not very applicable to my and my husbands work so we gave it to our 10 year old who has been wanting such a device. She was thrilled!! The next day it quit working- she is now in tears. Thanks Direct Buy!

I am set to go this weekend (for the same reason, to get the gifts, Iam not planning on joining); Is the Tablet worth the wasted 90 minutes?

i have returned several tablets... none of them worked.. took the last one to starbucks where everyone there was using wife free. tablet would not work. unfortunately we bought the membership without really seeing all the bad crap about it (our own fault). we are doing some work in our house so maybe we can recoop some of fee. but the tablet is a scam and does not work. sad way to lure people in. should be a way (of the many unhappy people), to as a group do something about this.

what are we going to do people?

how did you get your tablet to work? i return many and none would work.brought it to best buy they said it was a piece of junk

i walked out with several. none ever worked when i got them home. everytime i returned it they used their code to get to google search bar handed to me and said it works. brought it to starbucks where everyone was using free wifi and it would not work. this is really deceiving, what can we do about this?

I went last night, hoping for the tablet. I did not enroll and was given a brochure with a picture of the tablet and was told the instructions are on the back. The instructions say you have to follow them exactly or you will not get the certificate to get the tablet. First you have to send 19.99 by internatioal money order or certified check, then if you have done everything properly, they will send you a cetifcate to mail in for the tablet. This certifiate must be accompanied by a international money order or certified check fo 49.99.
You also must send in a international money order or certified check for 4.95. If the requested paperwork is not exact to a T they state you are not eligible and they are not required to send the tablet or refund your money. I'm not wasting my money or time waiting for a tablet that will probably never come. I have a card for 100.00 to redeem on line, it's from restaurants.com (this seems straighforward). This was the first time I have done something like this and the last. I'm glad I didn't sign up. If they have such good relationships with manufacturers there should be a better process to receive what they are giving away. I don't know how these salespeople can feel good about working for a company like this.

My husband and I went to the Fresno Ca location one at the end of the meeting they brought us the tablet and gift card and yes it's restaurant.com ,The Tablets are refurbished and horribly scratched up could have found it on craigslist for less the gas I wasted to go there .Not worth your time !

shakypancake said:   took the last one to starbucks where everyone there was using wife freei think i'd have a problem with this. but to each their own, i guess

Don't bring your wife if you don't want to share.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014