100-trillion-dollar bill

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Maybe bordering on OT, but --

Last year, the WSJ ran an article on the $100 trillion bill printed by the Central Bank of Zimbabwe. Per the article, it is "the biggest ever produced for legal tender—and a national symbol of monetary policy run amok." Full article at: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703730804576314953...

As indicated in the article, you can order bills via eBay for about USD$5 each. I bought some uncirculated bills from one of the suppliers quoted in the article (PM if you want name), and have given them as gifts to customers, friends, etc. Everyone seems to get a kick out of them. Conversation sometimes leads, however, to our own situation in the US, etc. But they're still kinda fun. Anyway, FWIW.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Member Summary

The 100 trillion dollar bill is legal tender in Beloit.

Man, this is a tough word of the day.

The chippendales had three dancers there, one named bob and two named bill. The women wouldn't whistle at bob, but one-hon-did-trill-on-all-our-bills.

I'd say it's not even close to OT--you're well beyond the line. I have one of these bills given to me by a friend who grew up in Zimbabwe. His parents still live there, he sells bills on eBay that his parents send to him as needed. He has done very well doing this since the actual value of the bills is considerably less than the $5 he charges for them. He chalks it up to Americans being idiots.

Whatever you do, don't trust a C. Montgomery Burns with it.

raringvt said:   I'd say it's not even close to OT--you're well beyond the line. I have one of these bills given to me by a friend who grew up in Zimbabwe. His parents still live there, he sells bills on eBay that his parents send to him as needed. He has done very well doing this since the actual value of the bills is considerably less than the $5 he charges for them. He chalks it up to Americans being idiots.

Does he do that chalking due to us following the same path?

After this whole fiasco, zimbabwe gave up and legalized the use of foreign currency in domestic transactions.

tuphat said:   100-trillion-dollar bill

Is what we face in 4 years.

nanosoft said:   tuphat said:   100-trillion-dollar bill

Cool prediction. On what date, exactly?

parmenides said:   nanosoft said:   tuphat said:   100-trillion-dollar bill

Cool prediction. On what date, exactly?

April 30th 2016 4 pm PST.

2 years after "your idea's are our idea's" is amended to the Constitution.

But no worries because all coins and the dollar are not valid forms of currency.

I bought a dozen of these on eBay quite a while ago when they first came out. Brand new. I think they were about $1 a piece. I gave a couple away but stuck the other quadrillion dollars in my safe deposit box for a rainy day.

I'm already a multi-trillionaire.

If you're going to buy these, suggest that you stick with uncirculated notes. I don't want to think where the bills in circulation might have been ...

In Zimbabwe, everyone is a trillionaire 100 times over

I buy these bills to snort my blow. Too bad the hookers won't take 'em

scrouds said:   I buy these bills to snort my blow. Too bad the hookers won't take 'em

It's standard practice to use the largest denomination bill you have...I've never had to factor in exchange rates though, I don't think I'd be able to do the math in the heat of the moment.

Uh, you are mixing you form of indulgence metaphors.

I myself am a Turkish millionaire and a Serbian Billionaire. Word of warning: don't take this bill out and show it to someone you randomly meet who is from Zimbabwe. In cases of crazy hyper inflation these notes usually remind people who lived through the time of serious struggles and heartache. To take them out and go "Oh you're from Zimbabwe, you must remember this" is not smart. They're conversation starters to us, but be considerate.

I was in Zimbabwe fairly recently. In tourist areas - like next to Victoria Falls - street hawkers sell these bills.

I picked up a set, but I don't remember how much I paid anymore. I guess I should've picked up a lot more for resale, but from what I understand, they're not supposed to be selling this currency and also you're not supposed to take it out of the country.

http://witold.org/photos/MOTORCYCLE/RIDES/2011_Africa/IMG_0013.j...

I used to leave these as part of a tip at a restaurant with good service. That was back when they were $1 apiece. $5 wow I should have bought more.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014