• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/05/fbi-wants-social-network-wire...

I have nothing against this. So what do you think of it?

Oh yay FWOT has a new conspiracy theorist.

Excellent way to distract you from realizing they already have this. Officially, semi-officially, un-officially...does it really matter? The real question is what are they actually preventing with this? Criminals do not use social media for "work".

Sometimes backdoor access is nice if you know how to play it.

It does say a court order would be required.

I'm sure the FBI can't wait to read my collection of status updates that consist of random rap lyrics.

Yeah a court order. Right.

Lets follow the slippery slope.

1994, CALEA passed to help the FBI monitor phone calls.
Later they expand the capabilities to monitoring internet data
Later still, they used the same backdoor access to perform warrentless searches.

While it doesn't seem to onerous now, history has shown that when you give the government an inch, they will bumrush you and take a mile. Best to stop it now. This is not a conspiracy theory, this is just history.

SUB said:   Sometimes backdoor access is nice if you know how to play it.

That's a shitty attitude.

ColoBB said:   The real question is what are they actually preventing with this? Criminals do not use social media for "work".

Actually, they do.

moonbeam said:   ColoBB said:   The real question is what are they actually preventing with this? Criminals do not use social media for "work".

Actually, they do.
last year's flash mobs in philadelphia were fun

I think the public ignores a central issue: By flocking to services that are "free", i.e. paid for by advertising revenue, they have encouraged a system where the stated design purpose is to get a connection to the user, and then use and abuse that connection as efficiently as you possibly can. Facebook wants to sell your info to the government. Facebook, in fact, laments the fact that it can't sell your info to the Russians and the Nigerians. Yet.

fasttimes said:   SUB said:   Sometimes backdoor access is nice if you know how to play it.

That's a shitty attitude.

You're not down with brown?

soundtechie said:   I think the public ignores a central issue: By flocking to services that are "free", i.e. paid for by advertising revenue, they have encouraged a system where the stated design purpose is to get a connection to the user, and then use and abuse that connection as efficiently as you possibly can. Facebook wants to sell your info to the government. Facebook, in fact, laments the fact that it can't sell your info to the Russians and the Nigerians. Yet.I will gladly turn over my informations to the Zimbabweans in exchange for one of those nifty trillion dollar bills

no backdoor entry allowed

bigcat007 said:   I will gladly turn over my informations to the Zimbabweans in exchange for one of those nifty trillion dollar bills
Name: Kick Butkus

Mr. Potatohead. Mr. Potatohead! Backdoors are NOT secrets!

A massive spy center is being built right now in Utah for this purpose.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1

ColoBB said:   Criminals do not use social media for "work".
I can tell you with certainty that this isn't true.

MadAnthony said:   It does say a court order would be required.

I'm sure the FBI can't wait to read my collection of status updates that consist of random rap lyrics.

FBI agent I: oh look, it's nibbler taking a nap.
FBI agent II: hey look, she's in the kitchen now.
FBI agent I: look at that, she's drinking water from a bowl.
FBI agent II: what a wonderful life we have behind the scenes!
FBI agent I: it can't get any better than this.

SUB said:   Sometimes backdoor access is nice if you know how to play it.
Getting or giving?

Why worry about the FBI when private companies already have much more information that you have given to them willingly?

RS4Rings said:   SUB said:   Sometimes backdoor access is nice if you know how to play it.
Getting or giving?

Whatever tickles your pickle, of course

So it will be Google* ?

kamalktk said:   So it will be Google* ?

Yes. The FBI wants to backdoor your google.

MadAnthony said:   It does say a court order would be required.

Yeah, right. They've probably been doing illegal backdoor access since day 1.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014