• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:

jamie lynne grumet, 26
Disclaimer
NEW YORK Shocking or no big deal? A woman breastfeeding her 3-year-old son is the cover photo of this week's Time magazine for a story on "attachment parenting," and reactions ranged from applause to cringing to shrugs.

The photo showed Jamie Lynne Grumet, 26, a stay-at-home mom in Los Angeles who says her mother breastfed her until she was 6 years old. She told the magazine in an interview that she's given up reasoning with strangers who see her son nursing and threaten "to call social services on me or that it's child molestation."

article

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I'm sorry, not normal!

Free the other one

As long as she is not breastfeeding in public I don't see a problem with it.

the English have a saying:
"get off my tits"
very apropos here

0AfterRebates said:   As long as she is not breastfeeding in public I don't see a problem with it.

They've enacted laws in some states that let them breastfeed any damn place they like. Even your own home.

PROTIP: Hey moms, if you want your kid to get beat up, do this!

Breastfeeding at 6: fine.

Doing so on the cover of time: abuse.

<chris rock>
40 year old titty?! That's yo man's titty. 20 year old titty? Comunity titty!
</chris rock>

it's sad that that 3 year old gets more access to boob than I do.

Although he'll also probably grow up with an oedipus complex.

Lol I was about to say what's the big deal until I looked at the cover and realized just how old a 3 yo looks. It feels icky to me, but ultimately it is one of those things where whatever floats your boat.

World Health Organization (WHO) - "The vast majority of mothers can and should breastfeed, just as the vast majority of infants can and should be breastfed... The WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life, after which infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond."

American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) - "Extensive research using improved epidemiologic methods and modern laboratory techniques documents diverse and compelling advantages for infants, mothers, families, and society from breastfeeding and use of human milk for infant feeding. These advantages include health, nutritional, immunologic, developmental, psychologic, social, economic, and environmental benefits. The AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life. Furthermore, breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child."

I think that's a pretty big 3 year old. On purpose for sure.

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, Time was a reputable magazine with actual well-written news stories.

and if that was the nanny and not the mom --- still ok?

Am I the only one who thinks she looks much older than 26?

KayK said:   Am I the only one who thinks she looks much older than 26?
You were looking at her face?

HumDoHamaraDo said:   KayK said:   Am I the only one who thinks she looks much older than 26?
You were looking at her face?
Better than that A cup..

germanpope said:   and if that was the nanny and not the mom --- still ok?
Wet-nurse. It's practiced worldwide and has been throughout history.

scrouds said:   0AfterRebates said:   As long as she is not breastfeeding in public I don't see a problem with it.

They've enacted laws in some states that let them breastfeed any damn place they like. Even your own home.

Horrific! Mothers feeding their children!

(sorry about your Mom)

i'm waiting to find out what POTUS thinks about it

That's a huge 3 year old.

Estimates vary but it looks like breastfeeding eliminates 200-800 calories/day. Sounds like a great diet plan!

"Junior! Come over here and help your mama lose some weight so I can fit in that wedding dress!"

This would seem a good place for the chocolate breast milk experiment link, in case you haven't read it before.

talljay said:   Estimates vary but it looks like breastfeeding eliminates 200-800 calories/day. Sounds like a great diet plan!

"Junior! Come over here and help your mama lose some weight so I can fit in that wedding dress!"
i must be missing something here. calories are calculated by the amount of energy expended, not by a loss of physical matter. so...wth are they doing that's so strenuous?

morecowbell said:   talljay said:   Estimates vary but it looks like breastfeeding eliminates 200-800 calories/day. Sounds like a great diet plan!

i must be missing something here. calories are calculated by the amount of energy expended, not by a loss of physical matter. so...wth are they doing that's so strenuous?

Generating breast milk. It's nutritious and calorie dense. That has to come from somewhere.

arch8ngel said:   That's a huge 3 year old.
Because breast milk is very nutritious. The pic is practically an ad for extended breastfeeding. "Keep breastfeeding and your kid will grow up big and strong!"

morecowbell said:   talljay said:   Estimates vary but it looks like breastfeeding eliminates 200-800 calories/day. Sounds like a great diet plan!

Calories are just a measure of energy. When you eat something, your body might use some of that energy to do things, it might store some as fat or expel some as poop or breast milk (likely the former in your case).

My humble opinion,

It appears this is more for mom than for child. Especially having your picture on the front cover of time.

historically, infants and toddlers were breastfed. it's only been in the last several decades, in westernized countries where young mothers returned to work, that breastfeeding became less of a norm.
i think the perception of breastfeeding has been changed in our country just since maybe the 40's or 50's and now changing back somewhat.

Her mom breastfed her until she was 6 ... So, as a child, when she went over to a friend's house to play as a child, did she tell her friend's mom to "drop the top, I'm thirsty." ?? (Assuming she had friends ...)

So at what age do you say it's no longer appropriate? When the kid is asking you to help with his algebra homework between suckles??

GeorgiaBulldawg said:   
The photo showed Jamie Lynne Grumet, 26, a stay-at-home mom in Los Angeles who says her mother breastfed her until she was 6 years old.
somehow i read this as "jamie lynne gourmet"

I have no problem with it as long as the kid hasn't tried to self-wean and she wouldn't let him. I have a feeling he showed the indications of self-weaning and she ignored them. My older daughter self-weaned at 20 months and that's when I stopped.

It's amazing that a photoshopped cover can trigger a mod's itchy finger.

myboys said:   My humble opinion,

It appears this is more for mom than for child. Especially having your picture on the front cover of time.

Jamie Lynne said: LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Playboy spread in 3, 2, 1....The Land of Milk and Honey...

morecowbell said:   i'm waiting to find out what POTUS thinks about it

If he had a son, his son would be the boy in the picture.

Ughhh if ilet my child breastfeeds, it ends at six months

soundtechie said:   Where is the mommy war for motherless children?

just a different perspective.

Hmm I think people are starting to see the media for what it really is. Kudos to them.

Skipping 6 Messages...
Desperation?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014