Job advice

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I'll repost an updated version

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
1. Welcome to FW and OT
2. Did you create an alt to post this?
3. newguy said: My concern is, come next week, what will happen? What's next week?

Kandykornhead said:   1. Welcome to FW and OT
2. Did you create an alt to post this?
3. newguy said: My concern is, come next week, what will happen? What's next week?

2. no
3. next week as in Monday-Fri when I have to report back to work

Do you think your super is up on the tension between you and your coworkers? If not he probly just thought, "That was an odd comment, but what the heck it's Friday." I wouldn't worry. It sounds like you hate your job though. If you need it to survive I hope you keep it but it sounds like you might be better off taking a chance. In the current climate I would wait until after the election before initiating any change yourself.

release213 said:   I am a temp to perm at a company. I joined on a 1 year contract and it has been 9 months so far.
I feel like I was set up to fail from the beginning and people didn't really seem to want to include me or teach me.

So I just worked on things for the past 8 months but I've become fairly disassociated with the people sitting next to me. There's a gender, ethnicity, AND age gap between myself and the group of people around. They're all about 15-20 years older than me and have been working together for a long time. I felt awkward at times and I rarely talk to them because they really don't seem to want to have anything to do with me. I've been doing the job well enough but there's obviously a huge fit issue.

So I know that I will not become a permanent. 75% of me didn't want to become permanent and this job is the only thing keeping me in this city (where I really don't prefer living in). I don't ever want to start at another firm as a contractor again, I really dislike the working hours, and there's a fit issue with the coworkers.

As I was walking out, I told one of my supervisors who interviewed and hired me that sorry that things turned out like this (because I know a lot of time and investment went into the interviewing process and getting me initially set up). It was probably premature to say it but it has started to get almost unbearable sitting next to these people who obviously know that I will not be there as a FTE.

He seemed to acknowledge it but he said I did a great job. My concern is, come next week, what will happen? I hope to finish out the next 3 months and have a salary to support myself. Should I say something else to the supervisor or go back to pretending where I left off?

You go in there and act like his kind words turned everything around.
Put a smile on your face and greet your coworkers (a nod & "hi" will do).
Ask for more responsibility &/or training.
you can do it!

Kandykornhead said:   Do you think your super is up on the tension between you and your coworkers? If not he probly just thought, "That was an odd comment, but what the heck it's Friday." I wouldn't worry. It sounds like you hate your job though. If you need it to survive I hope you keep it but it sounds like you might be better off taking a chance. In the current climate I would wait until after the election before initiating any change yourself.

In the above post, one of the super is grouped within the group of coworkers. That's the reason why I talked to him because I think he's aware of the lack of fit.

Kandykornhead said:   Do you think your super is up on the tension between you and your coworkers? If not he probly just thought, "That was an odd comment, but what the heck it's Friday." I wouldn't worry. It sounds like you hate your job though. If you need it to survive I hope you keep it but it sounds like you might be better off taking a chance. In the current climate I would wait until after the election before initiating any change yourself.
boo...sneaking in politics, shameful, kk.

I try to be superficially nice to everybody because it's work, not necessarily friendship, but I don't overdo it. I criticize nobody there who doesn't out-rank me. (got to be frank with the bosses)

No, you're fine. Just chill out and try to find something in common with your co-workers. I also work with a lot of older people but it's not too tough. Your main concern should be how to enjoy the remaining three months. There's no reason to feel awkward. Things are only awkward if you let them be.

Start looking now, in a city you want to live in. If you find something early then move.

I'm mostly concerned that the contract might be cut short. Any thoughts on that?

release213 said:   I'm mostly concerned that the contract might be cut short. Any thoughts on that?

read your contract.
if you don't understand it, find a business lawyer who offers a free consultation to explain it to you.

a one-year contract should mean you have the job for a year
(unless you do something so awful they would fire a permanent employee over the same thing)

I would be surprised if a temp worker contract guaranteed a job, that should be at-will like almost everyone else.

That's my concern. It's definitely at will and if they know I won't be converted FT, will they think they are wasting their money?

I would say at most do not worry about the next month because they have to put the wheels in motion to get someone else in. By the time it goes through the bureaucratic system, they interview people, and make a decision, it could be a month.

So I know that I will not become a permanent. 75% of me didn't want to become permanent and this job is the only thing keeping me in this city (where I really don't prefer living in). I don't ever want to start at another firm as a contractor again, I really dislike the working hours, and there's a fit issue with the coworkers.

I know its though to be at another city with a new group. But if you went there with the attitude that you really did not want the job, they could probably read your body language and realize that you were just treating this as a temp job to let you go somewhere else after. My wife had the same situation, and only really jelled with one person. But she was cordial to all others at all times and attended their functions during the week, and even stayed the weekend if she had too. Just try to get one person to be very friendly with, and the rest will just follow her/his lead. You still have at least one month to change their mind. And yours about the place. Think of longterm plans / future contacts, etc

lighten up ... people don't like you or dislike you because they think you are permanent or temp

and a supervisor is not going to be too concerned about a quiet person or disassociated person as long as they are polite and they are getting their job done

make the most of the time you have left and try to participate in some company events, fundraising, picnic, ect.

not saying there isn't workplaces with immature people, but it sounds like in your case, you are making much more of this fitting in situation than you need too

You have huge red flags screaming that you want to get another job. Get going like yesterday. Find a city you DO want to live in. Find a PERMANENT job you DO want. But before you go, do your damnedest to make this work. That's partly because you want a good reference, and partly because it might force you to grow up.

You are complaining about the city you live in. You're complaining about the hours. You're complaining about the fit issue with the coworkers. You justify it because they're older than you, difference ethnicity, and different gender.

You know what would impress me? If you described how you made attempts to get along with the coworkers. If you described your job search because you've been dissatisfied with your job for eight months. If you can mention what you did positive to CHANGE the situation instead of letting it build up and then whining about it to your supervisor.

Try bringing in doughnuts for your coworkers Monday and see if that makes things turn around.

release213 said:    Did I put my job in jeopardy?do you want replies in the form of a question?

MilleniumBuc said:   

I know its though to be at another city with a new group. But if you went there with the attitude that you really did not want the job, they could probably read your body language and realize that you were just treating this as a temp job to let you go somewhere else after. My wife had the same situation, and only really jelled with one person. But she was cordial to all others at all times and attended their functions during the week, and even stayed the weekend if she had too. Just try to get one person to be very friendly with, and the rest will just follow her/his lead. You still have at least one month to change their mind. And yours about the place. Think of longterm plans / future contacts, etc

I am thinking of future references so I will continue to be cordial and do what I have on my plate at the job. However, I think it's pretty unrealistic to hope to change their minds because first impressions are very hard to overcome and my mind is 75% out the door (even with the unemployment risk).... unfortunate

I just want to still have this job for 3 more months

Update: It appears that I should not have said anything. I really thought the guy would be more understanding but it turned out to be the opposite. I feel uncomfortable at work now and I can't believe things have turned out like this.

Sorry about that. Just make sure to check the contract, because there may be some sort of language about termination before the contract ends for multiple situations, like termination for stealing something vs them changing their mind.

Also, if it was done through a large temp agency, sometimes in medical facilities (not sure if this applies to you), they hire people as a group, and to terminate one contract, they have to terminate 3-4 other ones, so this could help you out.

Definitely talk to your contact at the temp agency about the situation to see what is the standard procedure for the contract between them and who you are working now with.

Are you a guy or girl?

Let this be a lesson for you. When I read your post, what I come away with is that you may be shy and socially awkward, and got into a working environment with people outside your peer group and because you were uncomfortable, you projected negativity. It's possible that no one really knew why you were so detached but you volunteered an apology for things not turning out right. You may always be awkward with people, but work on being approachable regardless of what gaps you have with others. Even if you feel like an outsider, you have to create a niche for yourself instead of just withdrawing. Because if you withdraw completely, you are expendable.

Stop flushing. That will teach em.

release213 said:   Update: It appears that I should not have said anything. I really thought the guy would be more understanding but it turned out to be the opposite. I feel uncomfortable at work now and I can't believe things have turned out like this.How much of all this is directly work related, i.e., part of getting things done and making money, as opposed to the social part of your day?

fasttimes said:   Stop flushing. That will teach em.Many companies have grown wise to this and have toilets that automatically flush.

larrymoencurly said:   release213 said:   Update: It appears that I should not have said anything. I really thought the guy would be more understanding but it turned out to be the opposite. I feel uncomfortable at work now and I can't believe things have turned out like this.How much of all this is directly work related, i.e., part of getting things done and making money, as opposed to the social part of your day?

This. I don't get along with ANY of my direct coworkers - the one gal in the office and I who are good friends have given them nicknames like Jigglypuff and Snortgiggle. That being said... Only rarely does it actually have any impact on my performance of my job. I just grow bitter and cold inside and am counting down the days until we move and I can leave this awful office.

As others have said, start looking for a new environment - whether that's just a new job or a new job and a new town. Good luck to you. I know what it's like to be stuck in a job with people you can't stand.

fasttimes said:   Stop flushing. That will teach em.
psssh, that's for amateurs. I would upperdecker them.

release213 said:   Update: It appears that I should not have said anything. I really thought the guy would be more understanding but it turned out to be the opposite. I feel uncomfortable at work now and I can't believe things have turned out like this.

Why not? You told the guy about a conflict between the rest of his department and a contract worker with three months left. Did you really think he'd take your side and have a dispute that could last longer than the three months you'll be there?

Reread my previous post. It is YOUR responsibility to make things work. Not your coworkers'. Not your manager's. YOURS.

Why did you think I advised you to bring in doughnuts Monday? it was to begin belatedly trying to get along with your coworkers.

Now quit whining and expecting other people to solve your life problems for you. Ask yourself what YOU can do to fix YOUR situation, and do it. Else you'll have the same problems with your next jobs.

OP sounds like a millennial

release213 said:   Update: It appears that I should not have said anything. I really thought the guy would be more understanding but it turned out to be the opposite. I feel uncomfortable at work now and I can't believe things have turned out like this.Okay, just so we're sure this isn't just in your head - what exactly is he doing differently this week, that he wasn't doing previously?

jkimcpa said:   OP sounds like a millennialit's the ship that made the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs

morecowbell said:   jkimcpa said:   OP sounds like a millennialit's the ship that made the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs 17? We could almost buy our own ship for that!!

Kandykornhead said:   morecowbell said:   jkimcpa said:   OP sounds like a millennialit's the ship that made the kessel run in less than twelve parsecs 17? We could almost buy our own ship for that!!

And who's gonna fly it, kid? You?

do you boys have star wars sheets on your beds?

you didn't see us alone in the south passage. she expressed her true feelings for me

sublimosa said:   do you boys have star wars sheets on your beds?

I thought every guy had Star Wars sheets on the bed... to be swapped out with Masters of the Universe sheets on laundry day...

hey, it's no crime; I have smiley face sheets and two smiley face comforters and two smiley face fleece blankies!

arch8ngel said:   I thought every guy had Star Wars sheets on the bed... Star Trek, Star Wars, what's the difference?

sublimosa said:   hey, it's no crime; I have smiley face sheets and two smiley face comforters and two smiley face fleece blankies!

Are you my daughter?

Skipping 5 Messages...
webferret said:   larrymoencurly said:   arch8ngel said:   I thought every guy had Star Wars sheets on the bed... Star Trek, Star Wars, what's the difference?I believe you are starting a religious argument there.Like Kirk always said, "beam me up, Johnny."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014