Texas Roadhouse not paying employees

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
So my girlfriend works at Texas Roadhouse and they're screwing with employees paychecks. They aren't paying them for hours worked, they're not even making minimum wage after tipshare, and when she called them out on it, they're giving her The runaround. What agency do We need to get involved to remedy this?

If nothing else, I hope they lose a couple customers...

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
local dept of labor office (?)

They're too busy dancing around.


Distribute some "Texas justice".

/not really, labor office sounds good.

(from eHow) -

Talk to Your Employer
Sometimes errors can cause your pay not to arrive on time. Computer glitches, mistakes in your address or payroll personnel issues can cause pay not to go out on time. Talk to your employer to inform him that your check did not arrive to see if he is aware of any problems. Try not to be accusatory when talking to your boss, allow him the time that he needs to check into the matter and get back to you.


File a Complaint
If you do not receive your pay after talking to your boss, send a certified letter to your employer. In the letter, list the hours, dates and amounts that you feel are due. Keep a copy of the letter and any mailing receipts and if you do not receive your pay, contact your employer's state labor board to file a wage claim. States vary in their requirements for filing a claim. For example, in Arizona, you must send a written complaint to the labor department, Iowa has an online form that you fill out completely before sending to the state and New Hampshire has online form and file. The state will investigate and order your employer to pay any wages you have due, if you have a valid complaint.


File a Lawsuit
If the amount that you are due does not exceed the amount that your states limits for small claims court cases, you can sue your employer for your pay. If your employer is in another state, you must use the limits of that state. Contact the court clerk in the county where you will be suing to find out what their procedures for filing are. If your case goes to court, you must appear for the hearing with any proof that you have for the amount you are requesting in your lawsuit. Proof can include time cards and notarized statements from co-workers.


Considerations
States mandate the amount of time that an employer has to pay you if you lose your job. The time varies from immediately to the date of your next scheduled check. There are also state limits on the amount of time you have to file a claim. The labor board in your employer's state can tell you the time limit for wage claims there. If you are still working for the employer, she cannot retaliate against you for filing a complaint with the state's labor board.

steal all the cinnamon butter. that stuff is awesome.

Are these good restaurants? I've driven past one for years but never actually eaten there somehow. Where are they on the Longhorn/Outback/Lonestar cheap steak house scale?

ganda said:   Are these good restaurants? I've driven past one for years but never actually eaten there somehow. Where are they on the Longhorn/Outback/Lonestar cheap steak house scale?

They tend to be on the better end of the scale for "cheap steak houses", but they're really not all that cheap unless you're comparing them with a chop house.

Hold a barrel of peanuts for ransom.

ganda said:   Are these good restaurants? I've driven past one for years but never actually eaten there somehow. Where are they on the Longhorn/Outback/Lonestar cheap steak house scale?


I would say that I like them more than the 3 mentioned.

I like the steaks, but I really love the fall of the bone BBQ ribs and the rolls. Although within the last year they really have reduced the size of the rolls and don't seem to offer any more unless you ask.

And if I had to guess, somebody must have sued about the peanut shells, because know they put two buckets on the table.

Settle for a lifetime supply of rolls!

sue first, ask questions later.

Do they have any HR hotlines listed in the breakroom? Most larger companies have some kind of speak out program.

Report it to HR first via this website. If that doesn't work, Dept of Labor and then an employment attorney.

When I worked at McDonald's the Manager was taking 2-3 hours off of multiple workers paychecks per week. After a couple weeks, I called the manager on it and she said I was miscalculating my hours. After pushing the issue, she paid me in cash from her purse. I contacted the department of labor and they confiscated all computer records on file. She ended up getting fined and was made to pay back $50K she collected over a 3 year period. I ended up getting back pay, several other employees did as well.

She already talked to management. I would call the department of labor.

Just don't slip and get hurt on the job.

MilleniumBuc said:   ganda said:   Are these good restaurants? I've driven past one for years but never actually eaten there somehow. Where are they on the Longhorn/Outback/Lonestar cheap steak house scale?


I would say that I like them more than the 3 mentioned.

I like the steaks, but I really love the fall of the bone BBQ ribs and the rolls. Although within the last year they really have reduced the size of the rolls and don't seem to offer any more unless you ask.

And if I had to guess, somebody must have sued about the peanut shells, because know they put two buckets on the table.


OK, I'll (finally) give them a go. I do love some good ribs. Plus, it should be cheap since they don't pay their employees


If she's ready to quit and is only looking for what she's owed, picketing could be pretty effective. A restaurant can't take bad PR.

Or bring it to the attention of the corporate office.

ganda said:   MilleniumBuc said:   ganda said:   Are these good restaurants? I've driven past one for years but never actually eaten there somehow. Where are they on the Longhorn/Outback/Lonestar cheap steak house scale?


I would say that I like them more than the 3 mentioned.

I like the steaks, but I really love the fall of the bone BBQ ribs and the rolls. Although within the last year they really have reduced the size of the rolls and don't seem to offer any more unless you ask.

And if I had to guess, somebody must have sued about the peanut shells, because know they put two buckets on the table.


OK, I'll (finally) give them a go. I do love some good ribs. Plus, it should be cheap since they don't pay their employees
The steaks don't taste bad, kinda on the bland side, but I don't think anywhere seasons their steaks very well or marinates them...so really it's pretty typical quality. And you can't get out of the place for under $35 for two people... The chili sucks, it's bland also.
I really don't think it's funny joking about the place being cheap because they screw with peoples paychecks. Apparently paychecks are two weeks behind, so one check was right, however server wage is something like $5.35 in Iowa and law states that if you don't make the rest of minimum wage (only $7.25 in Iowa) from tips, the business has to make that up. In Illinois, min wage is like $8.25 and after taxes, her check for working about 3.5 hours ended up being $2.60 after they took out taxes. Someone screwed something up. That doesn't pay for the gas to get there.

And this is just an issue with a manager, but the one that does her schedule said that since she has a full time job monday-friday, they weren't going to work her all weekend. Now, they are, and putting her on crap 2.5hr shifts where she doesn't get tip share. I keep telling her to just quit on a Saturday she works, they're being jerks, so it's fitting to stick it to them... Already out of principle I won't eat there, which isn't an issue since the steaks I make taste way better anyway, and I can get a pack of steaks and a 6 pack for what they want for one steak...

Personally, I say food service in general is a crap industry unless it's some really expensive place where the tips would be worth it... Otherwise the pay is crap, been there, done that. The managers are all jackasses who just stuck around long enough they had more seniority than anyone else so they had to move them up.

StevenColorado said:   If she's ready to quit and is only looking for what she's owed, picketing could be pretty effective. A restaurant can't take bad PR.

Or bring it to the attention of the corporate office.

Already suggested unionizing and making demands on a Friday night or something. Leave them between a rock and a hard place. No staff, they can't operate and either they have to start being fair, or lose out on a big money making night.

MadAnthony said:   steal all the cinnamon butter. that stuff is awesome.
The cinnamon butter is butter, honey, and cinnamon, whipped together. They've burnt up the Kitchenaid Artisan mixers making this...but they're doing 5lb+ batches at a time in there...at home, should be fine...

The rolls are some kind of mix, plus butter, water, yeast. And after they're cooked, they're slathered with butter.

They're really expensive steak (I dont know which) is dipped in bacon fat.

Not putting any of it down, just saying incase you want to know...I kinda feel like making some of the cinnamon butter for toast or bagels.

I prefer brushing my steaks with melted butter. While I like rendered bacon fat, I think butter does a better job.

thumpergeek said:   
Already suggested unionizing and making demands on a Friday night or something. Leave them between a rock and a hard place. No staff, they can't operate and either they have to start being fair, or lose out on a big money making night.
GLWT. I would fire them all immediately, call all managers and regional managers in, and close a section or two if I had to to keep food and service right. Better to have a bunch of people saying, "We couldn't get in Friday night" than saying, "Our food took an hour and it was wrong." Replacing a trained waitstaff overnight might seem like a difficult thing to do, but it's a lot easier and cheaper than running a union shop. I'm sure there would be a line of new drones to replace them.

thumpergeek said:   Apparently paychecks are two weeks behind, so one check was right, however server wage is something like $5.35 in Iowa and law states that if you don't make the rest of minimum wage (only $7.25 in Iowa) from tips, the business has to make that up. In Illinois, min wage is like $8.25 and after taxes, her check for working about 3.5 hours ended up being $2.60 after they took out taxes. Someone screwed something up. That doesn't pay for the gas to get there.I just have a couple of questions to get this all straight in my own mind. GF lives in Illinois but works in Iowa? Wage laws only apply to the state you work in, so Illinois minimum wage wouldn't apply.

This next part, I'm want to make sure I understand how all of this works. Please tell me where I'm off track.

3.5 hours @ $7.25= $25.37.
3.5 hours @ $5.35= $18.73.

That means she would have to have made less than $6.64 in tips for her check to be at the 25.37 level. Correct?

She worked 3.5 hours. Let's say she turned 4 4-tops (conservatively) in that time. Since you say a couple can't get out for less than $35, let's use that amount. So 8 couples at $35 = $280. Figure a modest tip at 15% = $42.00. Take 4% off of that for tip share (I'm probably high on that)= $11.20. So her tip wages would be $30.80.

The employer is going to withhold taxes on 8% of ticket sales, whether or not she made 8% in tips. (Fed law.) So that's an immediate tax withholding of $22.80. Then regular withholding on the $18.73 for earned wages.

If my numbers are accurate, I'm surprised she had a check at all. Or didn't end up owing.


Edit: Correct horrible formatting.

Unions developed to fight for the rights of workers. Which are being trampled.

weaselslave12 said:   When I worked at McDonald's the Manager was taking 2-3 hours off of multiple workers paychecks per week. After a couple weeks, I called the manager on it and she said I was miscalculating my hours. After pushing the issue, she paid me in cash from her purse. I contacted the department of labor and they confiscated all computer records on file. She ended up getting fined and was made to pay back $50K she collected over a 3 year period. I ended up getting back pay, several other employees did as well.

She already talked to management. I would call the department of labor.
Huh, I don't get the part where she divert the worker's paycheck to herself.

Many years ago my work travel took me to a town where's there's a Texas Roadhouse. We got to know the ladies there quite well and they often would sit down at the table with us and bitch about the pay and even show us their payback. The hostess are even hotter sometime. Good times.

Oh, the food are not bad for what you pay. Back those days a 6oz steak was around $10, if I remember it right.

Kandykornhead said:   thumpergeek said:   
Already suggested unionizing and making demands on a Friday night or something. Leave them between a rock and a hard place. No staff, they can't operate and either they have to start being fair, or lose out on a big money making night.
GLWT. I would fire them all immediately, call all managers and regional managers in, and close a section or two if I had to to keep food and service right. Better to have a bunch of people saying, "We couldn't get in Friday night" than saying, "Our food took an hour and it was wrong." Replacing a trained waitstaff overnight might seem like a difficult thing to do, but it's a lot easier and cheaper than running a union shop. I'm sure there would be a line of new drones to replace them.


I saw this with Kohls 6 years ago. 2 employees tried to start a union and they were immediately fired (not for trying to start a union honestly) then the District and regular manager met with every employee explaining how bad a union would be.

webferret said:   thumpergeek said:   Apparently paychecks are two weeks behind, so one check was right, however server wage is something like $5.35 in Iowa and law states that if you don't make the rest of minimum wage (only $7.25 in Iowa) from tips, the business has to make that up. In Illinois, min wage is like $8.25 and after taxes, her check for working about 3.5 hours ended up being $2.60 after they took out taxes. Someone screwed something up. That doesn't pay for the gas to get there.I just have a couple of questions to get this all straight in my own mind. GF lives in Illinois but works in Iowa? Wage laws only apply to the state you work in, so Illinois minimum wage wouldn't apply.

This next part, I'm want to make sure I understand how all of this works. Please tell me where I'm off track.

3.5 hours @ $7.25= $25.37.
3.5 hours @ $5.35= $18.73.

That means she would have to have made less than $6.64 in tips for her check to be at the 25.37 level. Correct?

She worked 3.5 hours. Let's say she turned 4 4-tops (conservatively) in that time. Since you say a couple can't get out for less than $35, let's use that amount. So 8 couples at $35 = $280. Figure a modest tip at 15% = $42.00. Take 4% off of that for tip share (I'm probably high on that)= $11.20. So her tip wages would be $30.80.

The employer is going to withhold taxes on 8% of ticket sales, whether or not she made 8% in tips. (Fed law.) So that's an immediate tax withholding of $22.80. Then regular withholding on the $18.73 for earned wages.

If my numbers are accurate, I'm surprised she had a check at all. Or didn't end up owing.


Edit: Correct horrible formatting.
She isn't a waittress, she's a hostess. They have tip share...it seems like a good way of screwing everyone over so they can pay people less...

And yes, we live in Illinois but she works in Iowa. She's pissed off at them and putting in her two weeks. NOBODY blames her, at least family and friends, etc. To hell with what managers think.

Unions - You're only as good as the weakest employee.

Whereas unions serve a purpose that purpose is abused.

thumpergeek said:   webferret said:   thumpergeek said:   Apparently paychecks are two weeks behind, so one check was right, however server wage is something like $5.35 in Iowa and law states that if you don't make the rest of minimum wage (only $7.25 in Iowa) from tips, the business has to make that up. In Illinois, min wage is like $8.25 and after taxes, her check for working about 3.5 hours ended up being $2.60 after they took out taxes. Someone screwed something up. That doesn't pay for the gas to get there.I just have a couple of questions to get this all straight in my own mind. GF lives in Illinois but works in Iowa? Wage laws only apply to the state you work in, so Illinois minimum wage wouldn't apply.

This next part, I'm want to make sure I understand how all of this works. Please tell me where I'm off track.

3.5 hours @ $7.25= $25.37.
3.5 hours @ $5.35= $18.73.

That means she would have to have made less than $6.64 in tips for her check to be at the 25.37 level. Correct?

She worked 3.5 hours. Let's say she turned 4 4-tops (conservatively) in that time. Since you say a couple can't get out for less than $35, let's use that amount. So 8 couples at $35 = $280. Figure a modest tip at 15% = $42.00. Take 4% off of that for tip share (I'm probably high on that)= $11.20. So her tip wages would be $30.80.

The employer is going to withhold taxes on 8% of ticket sales, whether or not she made 8% in tips. (Fed law.) So that's an immediate tax withholding of $22.80. Then regular withholding on the $18.73 for earned wages.

If my numbers are accurate, I'm surprised she had a check at all. Or didn't end up owing.


Edit: Correct horrible formatting.
She isn't a waittress, she's a hostess. They have tip share...it seems like a good way of screwing everyone over so they can pay people less...

And yes, we live in Illinois but she works in Iowa. She's pissed off at them and putting in her two weeks. NOBODY blames her, at least family and friends, etc. To hell with what managers think.


Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, it's not worth working a restaurant unless you are a server or bartender. Or live within walking distance.

Most places just talk of unions gets you fired. At one job I had I mentioned unions, and less than a week later, fired. I was accused of something another coworker did. Unions exist for this vary reason, to keep businesses from pulling this BS. We live pretty conservatively, we split rent on a little duplex for $450 plus water, electricity and gas, which is the cheapest we could find, even cheaper than most studio apartments. Both our cars are paid for. We have cheap prepaid cell phones (Page Plus, so like $11 month) and no land line. And we just got internet. We mostly shop at Sams Club for food, rarely buy new clothes and if we do it's WalMart or goodwill pretty much, and rarely buy anything that isn't on sale. We don't throw away food, don't gamble, and don't eat out. We're still just kinda barely getting by. this is just crap honestly...

How's school going? Thumper, in this economy, you either need a trade skill or tech skill. Wishing for union to save job that can be replaced by cheap foreign worker or automation is just that, wishful thinking.

Oh, I dont' think I ever seen a ugly hostess at TRR, congrats!

I took the semester off. I was broke and couldn't afford it. I'm planning to go back in the fall and at least take night or online classes. Honestly I want to move out of this area, we don't have a whole lot here. Mostly it's retail, food service and only a small number of manufacturing jobs...the only thing I'm qualified for right now. John Deere and Alcoa are about the only union shops around here. Almost everywhere else doesn't pay jack. $12.50 isn't too bad right now for getting hired on after being a temp, especially considering my job is pretty easy, at least for me. But little to no chance of advancement or raises kinda kills the deal, so the job is more of a stepping stone to get me somewhere else. The only problem is the community college does a good job of screwing people over. Busting your ass with homework and a full time job sucks when they dont post grades until the end or flunk people for stupid stuff just towards the very end...it's pretty discouraging.

And thanks. I don't understand why a business would operate the way they do. They won't move her up to be a server because "she hasn't done anything to earn it", but the store moves new people up who haven't been there two weeks. She "did something" over 6 months ago while doing another job there, but can't say when or what, yet her trainer for the other job said she did a great job...and again, will move new people up. They call at least every other week saying they can't find anyone at all to work a shift and beg her to cover, and she always does. Like so many places, they have no appreciation for their more senior employees who save their asses constantly. She quit another job where she was getting more hours and more pay because she was told she would be getting almost as much hours and there was opportunity to move up. I'm going off secondhand information, but it doesn't change the fact that they're being jerks about everything and pissing me off because now we very rarely get to do anything on weekends, and I have to cover more of rent and food because she isn't getting many hours. So, what really shouldn't be my business is made my business, and that's why I'm posting here.

Don't hate the game, play it better.

If it were me, I'd call the dept of labor, threaten to sue for back wages, get people pissed off at management. I know what would kill business right away, but contaminating food and causing an outbreak of food poisoning, or stealing credit card information to make small but very obvious fraudulant charges would be malicious and cause unnecessary harm. Otherwise try to dig up dirt and see if could find someone at the store that's a sex offender or something and make it well known so families won't come.

As for school and stuff, it's just a time thing right now. Research the teachers a little to get easy ones, and it will be easy enough. For work, all I really need is to put in a little time, and should be able to move onto somewhere that pays better. With any luck, the gf and I can put aside enough money, find a small business loan, grant, something and start a bakery like she wants to.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014