• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
rated:
Ok... So I'm one of those people that read labels on practically everything. So one day I'm in Family Dollar and I'm a little low on cash. The big thing of Dial body wash is $3 and some change. But the even bigger, almost twice as big, container of Family Dollar hand wash liquid is just a little over $2. I looked at the Family Dollar stuff and thought to myself.. "Hmmm this looks a lot like the body wash". So I grabbed both bottles and read the ingredients. OMG!!! It was the same SH#@!!!!! Have they been pulling a fast one on me all these years?

What do you guys think? It's almost time for more body wash and I think I'm converting to hand wash.. It a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
It's a whole lot cheaper to use bar soap...

wonderwoman1978fl said:   Ok... So I'm one of those people that read labels on practically everything. So one day I'm in Family Dollar and I'm a little low on cash. The big thing of Dial body wash is $3 and some change. But the even bigger, almost twice as big, container of Family Dollar hand wash liquid is just a little over $2. I looked at the Family Dollar stuff and thought to myself.. "Hmmm this looks a lot like the body wash". So I grabbed both bottles and read the ingredients. OMG!!! It was the same SH#@!!!!! Have they been pulling a fast one on me all these years?

What do you guys think? It's almost time for more body wash and I think I'm converting to hand wash.. It a whole lot cheaper.


I think it comes down to a matter of scent. I will continue to pay more for my lovely raspberry pomegranate body wash, as opposed to the Softsoap that goes by the sink.

I think it comes down to a matter of scent. I wil said: l continue to pay more for my lovely raspberry pomegranate body wash, as opposed to the Softsoap that goes by the sink.

Sorry I should have mentioned that. The hand wash was the Shea Butter kind.... smelled and looked great! That's what made me take a look at it in the first place. It looked just like the body wash.

Reminds me of when I stopped to read Colgate labels. You know all the different kinds of Colgate on the shelf? I wanted to see what the difference really was, so picked up several of the paste varieties -- 4 different brands with different per-unit prices -- I remember one was "Total" and one "Whitening", not sure the other two -- and they all had identical ingredients. Well, one had two of the inactive ingredients near the bottom of the list reversed compared to the others (big whoop). There wasn't even an actual 'whitening' ingredient in the whitening toothpaste -- they can still call it that since any toothpaste should be able to remove surface stains, thus "whitening" your teeth.

Bar soap is bombarded by water the whole time and, as a result, I suspect dissolves rapidly. Liquid soap is protected in the container and you can ration it. A little drop of liquid soap can be diluted with water to clean the whole body so you can stretch it out. So to speak.

bigcat007 said:   Bar soap is bombarded by water the whole time and, as a result, I suspect dissolves rapidly. Liquid soap is protected in the container and you can ration it. A little drop of liquid soap can be diluted with water to clean the whole body so you can stretch it out. So to speak.

Only if your bar soap is poorly placed.

I use bar soap to lather up a scrubber and it lasts way longer for a lot less initial outlay than liquid soap.
Even the fancy bar soaps are much cheaper this way.

quats said:   Reminds me of when I stopped to read Colgate labels. You know all the different kinds of Colgate on the shelf? I wanted to see what the difference really was, so picked up several of the paste varieties -- 4 different brands with different per-unit prices -- I remember one was "Total" and one "Whitening", not sure the other two -- and they all had identical ingredients. Well, one had two of the inactive ingredients near the bottom of the list reversed compared to the others (big whoop). There wasn't even an actual 'whitening' ingredient in the whitening toothpaste -- they can still call it that since any toothpaste should be able to remove surface stains, thus "whitening" your teeth.


With one exception (sensitive teeth toothpaste) pretty much all of the toothpastes are this way. the only active ingredient they ever list is flouride.

soundtechie said:   quats said:   Reminds me of when I stopped to read Colgate labels. You know all the different kinds of Colgate on the shelf? I wanted to see what the difference really was, so picked up several of the paste varieties -- 4 different brands with different per-unit prices -- I remember one was "Total" and one "Whitening", not sure the other two -- and they all had identical ingredients. Well, one had two of the inactive ingredients near the bottom of the list reversed compared to the others (big whoop). There wasn't even an actual 'whitening' ingredient in the whitening toothpaste -- they can still call it that since any toothpaste should be able to remove surface stains, thus "whitening" your teeth.


With one exception (sensitive teeth toothpaste) pretty much all of the toothpastes are this way. the only active ingredient they ever list is flouride.


I'm pretty sure all the "Total"-types also list triclosan (antibacterial).

Oop, yep, you're right, talljay. I guess I focused on the whitening, which is marketed such that you expect it to have something bleaching in it... but doesn't. I think another was tartar control. But yeah, the Total variant added triclosan to the identical ingredient list (active and inactive) of 80% of their toothpaste brands.

I was thinking about this some more this morning (while int he shower, actually) and remembered seeing men's shampoo/conditioner/bodywash combo products at Target last time I was there. Snob husband wouldn't save me money and let me buy them, pfft.

soundtechie said:   quats said:   Reminds me of when I stopped to read Colgate labels. You know all the different kinds of Colgate on the shelf? I wanted to see what the difference really was, so picked up several of the paste varieties -- 4 different brands with different per-unit prices -- I remember one was "Total" and one "Whitening", not sure the other two -- and they all had identical ingredients. Well, one had two of the inactive ingredients near the bottom of the list reversed compared to the others (big whoop). There wasn't even an actual 'whitening' ingredient in the whitening toothpaste -- they can still call it that since any toothpaste should be able to remove surface stains, thus "whitening" your teeth.


With one exception (sensitive teeth toothpaste) pretty much all of the toothpastes are this way. the only active ingredient they ever list is flouride.


For tooth paste i only get the ones without sodium lauryl sulfate. For some reason, SLS gives me canker sores instantly.
If it wasn't for google i would of suffered with canker sores for my entire life. Only have to endure the mouth pains for 27 years.

hand soap, it's much cheaper than body wash..



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014