Unclaimed Property Search

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just searched California's Unclaimed Property Site and found my name listed nine times for a total of $20.44. Probably not worth my time filling out nine claims to get $20. I typed in Jay Leno and see he's owed $20.18 (listed four times). I'm beating him by a hair.

Train wreck, Lindsay Lohan, is owed $1,559.80.

The Kardashians are owed a bit of money too, but not much.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
burgerwars said:   I just searched California's Unclaimed Property Site and found my name listed nine times for a total of $20.44. Probably not worth my time filling out nine claims to get $20. I typed in Jay Leno and see he's owed $20.18 (listed four times). I'm beating him by a hair.
By the hair on his chinny chin chin?

nationwide, for any interested:
http://www.missingmoney.com/

One of the claims for my mother-in-law is for $0.12. Think I should notify her?

Thanks for reminding me of this again. I found $50.00 and a possible $168.00 for the late Mr. HorB.

Wouldn't it be great if all the famous and wealthy people on the list could be provided with an easy way to donate their lost money to charity?

Steven Spielberg - $10,000.
Maria Shriver - $12.00.
Ben Affleck - $103.00
Charlie Sheen - $620.00
Arnold Schwarzenegger - 15 cents
Danny Bonaduce - $350.00 (well, he might need it).

I report unclaimed property for my company, and Oprah did not want her $43.

BTW, check each state that you've ever lived in, and Delaware. A lot of companies are incorporated in Delaware, which allows for reporting unclaimed property to DE rather than your state. Also, reporting deadlines are typically April 30 and October 31, so they'll have updated databases within a few months of those dates.

The state of NY is holding the cash value of a partial share of lucent stock that was divested from ATT that was held in a UGMA trust. I forget if I have to send them a notarized form or a medallion stamp form, but both is too much work for $5. Burrito test and all.

HorB said:   Maria Shriver - $12.00.
Arnold Schwarzenegger - 15 cents

Aint that just the way it is when people get divorced?

scrouds said:   The state of NY is holding the cash value of a partial share of lucent stock that was divested from ATT that was held in a UGMA trust. I forget if I have to send them a notarized form or a medallion stamp form, but both is too much work for $5. Burrito test and all.

Same here. I'm owed by the state of California $5.19 for a Alcatel Lucent reverse stock split. It wasn't worth my time to redeem a stock certificate of a share or two of Lucent I have for $5. It's probaby still sitting in my safe deposit box. The certificate is obviously cancelled with the state of California using my $5.19 to pay their bills.

Found $3500 for my buddy's ex and she moved awaaaaaay.....

My sister gets $100. I got nothing.

Woot. I haven't lived in CA since 2005 but it looks like I'm owed $104

There are millions waiting for me in a Nigerian bank account.

OK so I confess, I am more a lurker on these forums. This thread has made me want to post my findings. I have basically found about $1k worth of unclaimed money for my family and friends thus far. Any thoughts on what to charge for a finders fee?

PS Edit to add...

What is the reason why the funds dont get to the person? For instance one person is owed $100 by a Credit Union that she currently banks with! Her address has not changed, and still currently banks with that credit union.

RedLance said:   OK so I confess, I am more a lurker on these forums. This thread has made me want to post my findings. I have basically found about $1k worth of unclaimed money for my family and friends thus far. Any thoughts on what to charge for a finders fee?

PS Edit to add...

What is the reason why the funds dont get to the person? For instance one person is owed $100 by a Credit Union that she currently banks with! Her address has not changed, and still currently banks with that credit union.
for friends and family? $0 is a good place to start

just sayin'

morecowbell said:   RedLance said:   OK so I confess, I am more a lurker on these forums. This thread has made me want to post my findings. I have basically found about $1k worth of unclaimed money for my family and friends thus far. Any thoughts on what to charge for a finders fee?

PS Edit to add...

for friends and family? $0 is a good place to start

just sayin'

Yeah, the fee was just a joke. Maybe I should have added one of these: And get this... it never clicked that Oregon is not a participant in the missing money website. Last night I registered on the Oregon website and found more claims for some good friends. I just dont get how Oregon can have their address, yet still have unclaimed money.

do you know what the taxes are on 5 million dollars? 6 million dollars!

The funny thing is I have a flippin cold so I have been more glued to the pc than usual. (Dont ask me how that happens, I just dont feel much like doing anything else.) I am finding this missing money thing very addicting! So far I have notified a small town school district, library, church, and fire department know they all have claims! And they are all over $100 each! My good deeds for the day are done!

On a surprising note here is a little story. On the Oregon State website I found that you can find organizations like clubs schools etc by just typing in the name of the city. Now I typed in the name of a small town I recently moved from and one of the results was the contents of a Safe Deposit Box left for a Church. I did some googling and found that the person listed as the co owner deceased in 2002. The church has also closed. In one google result I found the names of the womans children. I actually tried calling one number but there was no answer. (Wouldnt that be a freaky weird phone call! ) Anyway, I just verified that number with the phone company so as soon as they answer they are going to get a weird phone call from a stranger with a cold!

RedLance said:   

PS Edit to add...

Legally, the company who owes you the money has to send you a letter to your last known address shortly before the reporting date, unless they know that the address is bad (previous undelivered mail, etc), typically if the amount of the property is over $50. Personally, I run into typos in mailing addresses, USPS sending things back as undeliverable when they're really not, people just tossing the letter as junk mail, etc. It's also difficult if the person has mulitple accounts - my company doesn't link accounts.

Out of about 10,000 items that I had to mail letters for last year, I got about 1/3 back and reissued their checks. The rest of them were unclaimed.

RedLance said:   OK so I confess, I am more a lurker on these forums. This thread has made me want to post my findings. I have basically found about $1k worth of unclaimed money for my family and friends thus far. Any thoughts on what to charge for a finders fee?

PS Edit to add...

Charge a 95% finder's fee. This will prevent sudden windfalls of cash from going to their head. Financial institutions don't seem to bother checking other accounts a customer may have. So don't forget about your safe deposit box. Also, mail a small deposit into each account you have once each year. From personal experience, a bank of mine didn't count an ACH push direct deposit as activity.

missnic said:   Legally, the company who owes you the money has to send you a letter to your last known address shortly before the reporting date, unless they know that the address is bad (previous undelivered mail, etc), typically if the amount of the property is over $50. Personally, I run into typos in mailing addresses, USPS sending things back as undeliverable when they're really not, people just tossing the letter as junk mail, etc. It's also difficult if the person has mulitple accounts - my company doesn't link accounts.

Out of about 10,000 items that I had to mail letters for last year, I got about 1/3 back and reissued their checks. The rest of them were unclaimed.

And obviously the state takes 'no' initiative to get the money to the right people. Not surprised there!

Anyway, to update my previous post, I did get call the person that I thought was the surviving daughter. It was the wrong person! Oddly since it is a small town (where everybody knows your name) she did give me leads to find the 'real' family members. I found the granddaughter on Facebook and sent her all of this info. Not that she can claim it but at least forward it to the right people.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.