word of the day 10/8/12 apophasis

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Word of the Day for Monday, October 8, 2012
apophasis \uh-POF-uh-sis\, noun:
Denial of one's intention to speak of a subject that is at the same time named or insinuated, as “I shall not mention Caesar's avarice, nor his cunning, nor his morality.”
But I think that anything that is deep isn't love, it's deliberate calculation or schizophrenia. I myself wouldn't even attempt to say what love is - probably both love and God can only be defined by apophasis, through those things that they are not.
-- Viktor Pelevin, The Sacred Book of the Werewolf
Apophasis stems from the Greek word apópha meaning "to say no, deny." The suffix -sis appears in Greek loanwords, where it forms an abstract noun from a verb, as in thesis.
Origin:
1650–60; < Late Latin < Greek: a denial, equivalent to apópha ( nai ) to say no, deny ( apo- apo- + phánai to say) + -sis -sis

/////
this isn't nearly as much fun as when dkong does it

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
You 'ave zee big date tonight, yes? Vee must make you smell vonderful. Here, apophasis and a puff of zat and you are all set!

apophasis problems, a Mom has 'ers.

all mah sistah's ex boyfriends...i had problems wif dem. apophasis wif mah fis

Ya pop has 'is ways of 'andling things-don't argue with 'im!

apo dog food is now sold in phasis to match puppies thru adulthood. the line is called "apophasis"

"crap, o, phasis, I must!"
-Yoda, encountering Darth Vader

wait a minute, ganda and mcb, are you greening me for the wotd or for the line about it being more fun when dkong did it??
/pouts

i didn't read the whole post. i don't have that long of an atten

If you want show the possessive case of a word, stick an apophasis on the end of it

oh crap op hasis topic in the wrong forum... I bet he'll get a ton of red

i've got friends in apophasis
where the whiskey drowns
and the beer chases my blues away
but i'll be ok
now i'm not big on social graces
think i'll slip on down to the oasis
oh i've got friends in apophasis

Apophasis is gonna destroy the world!!!

The Colts all apophasised the Packers.

one of my favorite brando films is apophasis now

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014