• Text Only
rated:
This is the most entertaining toy I have ever gotten any cat. Not for me, but for them. Penny spends hours on her own playing with these cheap things.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethical-Durable-Plastic-Colorful-Springs/d...

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

baby bird
Disclaimer
here's a baby bird

(limo - added pic of a baby extending middle finger)

Mine go nuts for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N9I68

Human involvement required though.

ganda said:   Mine go nuts for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006N9I68

The previous owner of my cat gave me one of those when I adopted her, but I also bought her this, which she and I both think is a better toy. Da Bird is good, but:

1) The "bird" can obviously be damaged by a cat, and then it may not spin and "fly" as well (they do sell replacements).
2) The 2-piece pole is very annoying, IMO. It comes apart too easily. I'd recommend gluing it together unless you really care about taking it apart for storage.
3) If you're like me, you're too lazy and apathetic to keep using interactive toys after the first few weeks of cat ownership.

Clicker
Disclaimer
My outside cat comes running when it hears the clicker. I have trained it to associate the clicks with dinnertime.

99 cents shipped on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Puppy-Button-Dog-Pet-Cat-Click-Clicker-Training-Trainer-Aid-Wrist-Strap-Guide-/271033872470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=570106686094&hash=item3f1ae0b056

When I am grading papers, Emmie enjoys batting my pen to the floor every time I put it down.

Cats rule and dogs drool

0AfterRebates said:   My outside cat comes running when it hears the clicker. I have trained it to associate the clicks with dinnertime. I just slap the side of my legs and hollar 'kennel up', and mine come running.

What do they do when you slap your butt?

0AfterRebates said:   My outside cat comes running when it hears the clicker. I have trained it to associate the clicks with dinnertime.

99 cents shipped on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Puppy-Button-Dog-Pet-Cat-Click-Clicker-Training-Trainer-Aid-Wrist-Strap-Guide-/271033872470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=570106686094&hash=item3f1ae0b056

I thought using a can opener called the cat.

Everybody wants to be a cat,
Because a cat's the only cat
who knows where it's at.
Everybody's pickin up on that feline beat...
'cause everything else is obsolete.
a square with a horn will make you wish you were'nt born everytime he plays
but with a square in the act, you can set music back to the caveman days.

I'm partial to the cat 797. Big yellow truck.

I got my grandson one of these for Christmas.

Cat Ride on at Amazon

knuckles
Disclaimer
Knuckles (the fat penquin cat) has been rewarded to many time for sitting up and now spends most of her time sitting. It freaks people out who walk in and see her just sitting there. She will do it the entire you are cooking dinner just hoping to get something.

Every cat in this thread says "birds are most welcome. Here birdie birdie birdie."

My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.

moonbeam said:   My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.
Hiring sublimosa to drive you may not be the best idea

kamalktk said:   moonbeam said:   My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.

Who said drive. I figured she'd carry them on her back.

Bike with trailer.
Disclaimer
I figure some cats would love to ride in the back.

muahaha woof
Disclaimer
ruff

kamalktk said:   moonbeam said:   My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.

hmmmph! would you rather me or Toonces the Driving Cat pilot your car?

sublimosa said:   kamalktk said:   moonbeam said:   My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.

hmmmph! would you rather me or Toonces the Driving Cat pilot your car?

Maybe you could drive and toonces could spot for you?

dog food!

moonbeam said:   My cats have a vet appointment tomorrow morning. We're taking a limo. It's the best transportation option I could find with the current gas/public transportation crisis. Sad but true.
#FirstWorldProblems

One of the local Rite Aid stores remodeled and became a Wellness store. They had a big clearance sale. I found a $10 adjustable beam cat laser toy in the $2 bin. My new rescue kitty goes bonkers chasing the laser 'mouse', 'butterfly, 'flower' and 'dot'. =^..^=

I have a cat. Or two. Or maybe its three. Why do people who have a cat always have several cats?

Sprintx said:   I have a cat. Or two. Or maybe its three. Why do cat ladies always have several cats? Fixed for you.

scrouds said:   Sprintx said:   I have a cat. Or two. Or maybe its three. Why do cat ladies always have several cats? Fixed for you.

Sorry but you are hanging out in the cat thread so you must be guilty too.

Nope. I'm more likely to kill and eat a cat then keep one as a pet.

Bobcat season opens Dec 1st.

Sprintx said:   I have a cat. Or two. Or maybe its three. Why do people who have a cat always have several cats?
Their brains need stimulation. Having two cats means they can have that when people are away.

Anyone see the 1st episode of LOLwork on Bravo?
It was about icanhascheezburger site at work.

here it is, 22 minutes:

http://screen.yahoo.com/episode-1-172121756.html

dog ppl welcome, too

Lots has happened since I posted this. Kitty#1 was misdiagnosed with diabetes and almost died when I gave her the insulin that was prescribed. I had to hire another limo to rush her to an emergency vet. She actually has hyperthyroidism, which is exactly what I told the vet when I brought her in for the exam! Obviously I will not be going to that vet again. Between the time I made the first appointment and the time she started the correct medication, her condition deteriorated dramatically. I really thought she might not make it, and her condition is still iffy. She's bone thin and had bloody diarrhea. Not good. Her appetite and spirit remain good and her bowel issues seem to finally be improving a little, so I'm trying to be optimistic and I'm doing everything possible to ensure her recovery. I can't lose another pet so soon after the last one. I haven't even gotten dead kitty's ashes back yet.

Also, I'm kind of worried about Kitty#2. She's very fat, even though she barely eats anything, she seems depressed/lethargic and she has trouble walking/seems to be in pain. I also brought her in to the incompetent vet for an exam. He barely looked at her and declared that she's fine. He did no lab tests at all and a very cursory physical exam. He snapped at me when I wanted to discuss her health and told me I should be concerned about the Kitty#1 and not worry about Kitty#2. Apparently his philosophy is to ignore problems until they reach a crisis situation. @@ So I guess I'll have to take Kitty#2 to another vet for a proper exam.

Fellow kitty cat owners: please don't feed your cat fish on a regular basis, if at all. My new vet said the high level of iodine in the fish cat food (made from fish scraps) is so high that it damages cats' thyroid glands. My cats absolutely love Fancy Feast flaked fish and shrimp. I had no idea it was unhealthy for them and can, in fact, kill them. There's also concern that the chemicals in the lining of cat food cans is toxic to cats. Cats are apparently very sensitive to environmental toxins. And we all know that kibble can lead to urinary tract problems. So I am now making homemade cat food for my cats. Cat#1 LOVES it. Cat#2 picks at it and then eats the "emergency" bowl of Evo dry kibble. She hates change and she's had a lot of stress in her life lately, so I'm trying to be patient and take it slow.

Probably BPAs in the can linings. Its bad for people, doesn't surprise me its also bad for cats.

moonbeam said:   Fellow kitty cat owners: please don't feed your cat fish on a regular basis, if at all. My new vet said the high level of iodine in the fish cat food (made from fish scraps) is so high that it damages cats' thyroid glands. My cats absolutely love Fancy Feast flaked fish and shrimp. I had no idea it was unhealthy for them and can, in fact, kill them. There's also concern that the chemicals in the lining of cat food cans is toxic to cats. Cats are apparently very sensitive to environmental toxins. And we all know that kibble can lead to urinary tract problems. So I am now making homemade cat food for my cats. Cat#1 LOVES it. Cat#2 picks at it and then eats the "emergency" bowl of Evo dry kibble. She hates change and she's had a lot of stress in her life lately, so I'm trying to be patient and take it slow.
I've heard several different reasons given for not feeding fish to cats. My cat's primary diet is EVO dry, and I feed her freeze dried salmon treats. Hopefully those quantities and types of fish aren't too bad. I have purchased her a LOT of treats, and she likes freeze dried salmon the most of everything she's tried (except for water from cans of tuna); she even likes some brands more than others. She won't even touch some of the treats that I've bought for her (freeze dried chicken, freeze dried turkey hearts, etc.)

Are you feeding cat #2 regular EVO or the weight management EVO? Since the latter was introduced, I've been wondering if it is an effective "weight management" food or perhaps more of a gimmick. It's 30% lower in fat with lower kcal, but it is also 85% higher in carbs. I've considered buying it for Gracie, but I'm reluctant to switch to a food that is almost twice as high in carbs. And her weight isn't too bad -- she should probably be about 8 pounds, and she is at 10.

scrouds said:   Probably BPAs in the can linings. Its bad for people, doesn't surprise me its also bad for cats.

The combination of the toxins in the cans and the toxins in the fish can't be good. The most alarming part is that hyperthyroidism is very common in cats now and the very first case was in 1979. It kind of seems like the canary in the coal mine...

MechanicalMan said:   Are you feeding cat #2 regular EVO or the weight management EVO? Since the latter was introduced, I've been wondering if it is an effective "weight management" food or perhaps more of a gimmick. It's 30% lower in fat with lower kcal, but it is also 85% higher in carbs. I've considered buying it for Gracie, but I'm reluctant to switch to a food that is almost twice as high in carbs. And her weight isn't too bad -- she should probably be about 8 pounds, and she is at 10.

Regular. I think it's a bad idea to feed high carb to cats. Cats are carnivores, not omnivores like dogs and people. Their digestive systems can't handle grains, fruits and veggies.

I ordered a meat grinder that is able to grind bones, so I can make proper cat food. I tried to get the guy in Tribeca Whole Foods to grind some whole chicken wings for me yesterday but he refused. "It'll ruin my grinder," he said. He must have a crappy grinder if those little bones will ruin it. At $6 a pound for organic chicken wings, I expect better service. Kitty#1 had to crunch through the bones on her own. She seemed to really enjoy it. Kitties had a very rare steak for dinner tonight. Kitty#1 declared it yummy; kitty#2 picked at it a little.

moonbeam said:    I ordered a meat grinder that is able to grind bones, so I can make proper cat food. I tried to get the guy in Tribeca Whole Foods to grind some whole chicken wings for me yesterday but he refused. "It'll ruin my grinder," he said. He must have a crappy grinder if those little bones will ruin it. At $6 a pound for organic chicken wings, I expect better service. Kitty#1 had to crunch through the bones on her own. She seemed to really enjoy it. Kitties had a very rare steak for dinner tonight. Kitty#1 declared it yummy; kitty#2 picked at it a little.

What grinder did you order, moon? This sounds interesting. I already make my own dog food for Morgan. She's picky and after all of the dog food scares and finding out I couldn't even trust some of the higher-end brands, I decided to start making her own dinners. We rotate between chicken and venison for her.

Grapey, I bought this one based on the reviews. I wouldn't try to grind large bones, but it should be fine for muscle meat, organs and small bones. I only plan to grind the types of bones that a cat would eat naturally. If you go directly to the company website, rather than through Amazon, shipping is free.

moonbeam said:   Grapey, I bought this one based on the reviews. I wouldn't try to grind large bones, but it should be fine for muscle meat, organs and small bones. I only plan to grind the types of bones that a cat would eat naturally. If you go directly to the company website, rather than through Amazon, shipping is free.

Thanks, moon! That looks awesome and the Hubs can use it to make his own venison sausage, too!

Kitty#1 is scheduled for radioactive iodine treatment on December 2. Hooray! The problem now is how to keep her from losing more weight in the next two weeks. She's a walking skeleton; she can't afford to lose another ounce. I'm terrified that she'll die or become too weak for the treatment before December 2. Has anyone gone through this? Any hints?

Skipping 199 Messages...
24 old time men with cats

I like the bandleader's cat named Hep.... 'cuz it's a hep cat.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014