tip, haircuts

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi,

i am a man with lots of hair! I need a haircut badly. How much must i tip when i get a good haircut? im very stingy (hey all fwers are, and are proud to be stingy!) but i also dont want the barber to give me poor service now or next time if i go back because i am a cheapskate. what will happen if i dont tip or tip poorly? will they mess up my hair for the current session or mess it up next time? or something else? im in a rut. please advise me.

also, how do i decide on the best hair salon? the many choices in my area vary in terms of price, convenience, busyness (meaning how many customers they have at any given time), etc. Corect me if im wrong but i think the cheapest ones that are not busy at all are the best choices because they have all the time in the world to slowly and meticulously cut your hair and u save money.

also are there any fw deals on haircuts?

Thanks

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
The best hair salon is the one idohair works at, qed. Tip her generously.

wait. what is idohairs salon called? where is it? how much does it cost for man haircut there? i want as much hair cut as posible because my hair grows fast!

depends on if it is value salon or high dollar, for for most $5 is a good tip. Mom got more $5 tips than anything.

well, i was considering a $6 asian hair salon nearby. they said they do all types of hair styling and cuting. i'm still doing my research.

True cheapasses like myself cut their own hair.

but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?

bestbuy1115 said:   but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?
No

bestbuy1115 said:   but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?
Well, I wouldn't attempt it with scissors, but it is not difficult with clippers.

MechanicalMan said:   bestbuy1115 said:   but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?
Well, I wouldn't attempt it with scissors, but it is not difficult with clippers.

I've been doing it on my own for years, and I don't just shave my hair off.

bestbuy1115 said:   Hi,

i am a man with lots of hair! I need a haircut badly. How much must i tip when i get a good haircut? im very stingy (hey all fwers are, and are proud to be stingy!) but i also dont want the barber to give me poor service now or next time if i go back because i am a cheapskate. what will happen if i dont tip or tip poorly? will they mess up my hair for the current session or mess it up next time? or something else? im in a rut. please advise me.

also, how do i decide on the best hair salon? the many choices in my area vary in terms of price, convenience, busyness (meaning how many customers they have at any given time), etc. Corect me if im wrong but i think the cheapest ones that are not busy at all are the best choices because they have all the time in the world to slowly and meticulously cut your hair and u save money.

also are there any fw deals on haircuts?

Thanks
Stingy is a major turn-off fyi. I am a long time FWer and would in no way be viewed as stingy ever.

I thought you tipped based upon percentages? I tipped up to 50%, one time 100% (cuz she did a great job), on the bill.

If $6 haircut gives you pause, youre going to have a difficult time with the his discussion.

MechanicalMan said:   True cheapasses like myself cut their own hair.

Well mrs. ganda does mine. $30 for pair of ganda/dog/shrubbery clippers = nearly free haircuts for life.

I use clippers on my boyfriend's hair. Buy a clippers for the cost of a hair cut and do it yourself

A good haircut is worth paying for. You have to find someone that does a good job for YOU. How much it costs is fairly irrelevant to me. I've paid >$100 and less than $10, and the price had little to do with the quality. My current cutter gets about a 50%+ tip because she doesn't charge much. She'll cut my hair anytime, cancel other people for me, open when they're closed, and does a great job. Thats good value for me, maybe not for anyone else, but works for me.

mewhojen said:   I use clippers on my boyfriend's hair. Buy a clippers for the cost of a hair cut and do it yourself

He lets you cut his hair? Wow, you have a very reasonable guy. I offered to buy clippers for my dad so that mom can cut his hair but he's always against it. Mom thinks nobody touches his hair except the barber and himself. So one time, I tested my mom's theory by trying to sneak a pat on his hair but he caught me just in time and quickly dodged his head away and growled "don't touch my hair." Mom saw it and she's like told you so.

I just got a $20.00 haircut this afternoon and tipped $5.00.

bravebiffy said:   mewhojen said:   I use clippers on my boyfriend's hair. Buy a clippers for the cost of a hair cut and do it yourself

He lets you cut his hair? Wow, you have a very reasonable guy. I offered to buy clippers for my dad so that mom can cut his hair but he's always against it. Mom thinks nobody touches his hair except the barber and himself. So one time, I tested my mom's theory by trying to sneak a pat on his hair but he caught me just in time and quickly dodged his head away and growled "don't touch my hair." Mom saw it and she's like told you so.
not that hard, what wasn't 2 feet long was buzzed. (ponytailed mohawk/not spiked) he got rid of the long stuff, so now it's just buzzed til it grows out

I have a pair of clippers and do my three boys and DH haircuts; mostly in summer when they want it short for baseball.
For back to school pictures, I take the boys to Fantastic Sam's (at least here they seem to be a tad bit better than Great Clips) - for these sort of places with male haircuts I tip $2-3 depending on how well they do. I get my hair cut at a nice salon 3x/year and tip $8-10.

If you attempt the trimmers by yourself, start with the longest attachment and the key is to keep going over and over your head until nothing is cut off, this makes sure it's all even. Then go one or two sizes shorter if you want all over. If you're fine with that, then stop. Otherwise try two sizes shorter attachment for your back and sides, the key is to go straight up so you don't cut anymore off the top. Finally take off the attachments and get a friend to shave the back of your neck and sideburns.

mewhojen said:   bravebiffy said:   mewhojen said:   I use clippers on my boyfriend's hair. Buy a clippers for the cost of a hair cut and do it yourself

not that hard, what wasn't 2 feet long was buzzed. (ponytailed mohawk/not spiked) he got rid of the long stuff, so now it's just buzzed til it grows out

I'm sure you do an excellent job and your bf know it. My dad's just vain. Wants only "professionals" to cut his hair. We call him a metro asian.

I get my hair cut every 3 weeks, $45 + $10 tip. Wife gets hers cut every 6 months for about $20 + $5 tip at Supercuts.

Crissy
Disclaimer
I just have someone twist the knob in the middle of my back to retract the hair.

how much does a flowbee cost? where should i buy it?

kamalktk said:   bestbuy1115 said:   but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?
No

bestbuy1115 said:   how much does a flowbee cost? where should i buy it?

kamalktk said:   bestbuy1115 said:   but isnt cutting your own hair nearly impossible to do?
No

Let me Google that for you

I'm getting a Flowbee for Christmas.

SigX said:   A good haircut is worth paying for. You have to find someone that does a good job for YOU. How much it costs is fairly irrelevant to me. I've paid >$100 and less than $10, and the price had little to do with the quality. My current cutter gets about a 50%+ tip because she doesn't charge much. She'll cut my hair anytime, cancel other people for me, open when they're closed, and does a great job. Thats good value for me, maybe not for anyone else, but works for me.

Yeah, but you look way too much like the love child of Chevy Chase and Kareem Abdul Jabbar....... You should tip anybody who can make that mess look beter!

my brother doesn't let anyone else cuts his hair besides my mom. My dad gets haircut from my mom

mewhojen said:   I use clippers on my boyfriend's hair. Buy a clippers for the cost of a hair cut and do it yourself

I tip $3 for a $13 haircut

i use to cut my own hair with clippers. also cut hair for a bunch of my friends when i was younger. just takes practice.

Girls go to stylists. Guys go to barbers. Find a barber. They specialize in male hairstyles.

And yes, you sound cheap. While some here are cheap, many are frugal. We find the sensible places to spend our money, and get good value on what we buy, even if that item isn't the cheapest.

I cut mine about every two weeks for free with a set of Wahl clippers, got them in 2003 for about $15. I cut my wife's whenever she asks. Also cut our daughter's, at her request, less frequently now as she's growing it longer. Both of them put it up in ponytail, so my job is easy, straight across the back just below the should blade with a good pair of scissors.

When I did go, scrouds is right, it was to a barber. It's been long time, but I think I was up to $20 with tip by the time the guy starting using a clipper and I realized I could do that myself for free after buying the clippers.

I go a long time between cuts, honestly only cut it 2 or 3 times a year at most. I cut it myself with clippers and dread trimming up the back. I use the bathroom mirror and a smaller mirror to see the back.

Fred Flintstone in the 21st century
Disclaimer
The tip depends on the results and whether or not you had to supply the bowl.

mapatsfan said:   I cut mine about every two weeks for free with a set of Wahl clippers, got them in 2003 for about $15. I cut my wife's whenever she asks. Also cut our daughter's, at her request, less frequently now as she's growing it longer. Both of them put it up in ponytail, so my job is easy, straight across the back just below the should blade with a good pair of scissors.

When I did go, scrouds is right, it was to a barber. It's been long time, but I think I was up to $20 with tip by the time the guy starting using a clipper and I realized I could do that myself for free after buying the clippers.

I haven't been to a barber shop in like 2 years, same deal, i just take the clippers. There's a resurgence in barber shops here, we have 2 national chains taking up residence and are opening new shops, one of them has a preference for converting and opening in what were once auto repair garages. The other likes to sell club memberships including unlimited cuts and with different membership levels including straight razor shaves and light manscaping with wax.

It sounds like you haven't had your hair cut in a very long time that you even have to ask this. What did you used to do, or did your mom always just bring you and pay for it?

Depends on what kind of style you want as to where you want to go. If you want a basic 10 min $6 barber cut then go to any barber and tip them at least $4 on the $6 cut.

If you want a nice styled cut that works with your type of hair, your lifestyle, and if you're particular....... ask all your non cheap female friends where to go. Word of mouthis the best wayto find the best salons

Btw, I'm in the San Diego area.....men's cuts $40 and women's are $60. I usually get anywhere from $10 to $20 for a tip..........

Btw, to answer your question aboutgetting good service and a nice cut.......be clean, plesant,and not picky or cheap! Oh and don't have bad breath! That's one of the worst! Yuck!

idohair said:   It sounds like you haven't had your hair cut in a very long time that you even have to ask this. What did you used to do, or did your mom always just bring you and pay for it?

Depends on what kind of style you want as to where you want to go. If you want a basic 10 min $6 barber cut then go to any barber and tip them at least $4 on the $6 cut.

If you want a nice styled cut that works with your type of hair, your lifestyle, and if you're particular....... ask all your non cheap female friends where to go. Word of mouthis the best wayto find the best salons

Btw, I'm in the San Diego area.....men's cuts $40 and women's are $60. I usually get anywhere from $10 to $20 for a tip..........

Btw, to answer your question aboutgetting good service and a nice cut.......be clean, plesant,and not picky or cheap! Oh and don't have bad breath! That's one of the worst! Yuck!

I'll add a couple from observation;
1. DO NOT HAVE HEAD LICE and visit stylist
2. The stylist really doesn't want to know everything going on in your life
3. Be on Time
4. Your hair will NOT look exactly like the hair in the picture.

scrouds said:   Girls go to stylists. Guys go to barbers. Find a barber. They specialize in male hairstyles.

And yes, you sound cheap. While some here are cheap, many are frugal. We find the sensible places to spend our money, and get good value on what we buy, even if that item isn't the cheapest.

Wrong

scrouds said:   
I haven't been to a barber shop in like 2 years, same deal, i just take the clippers. There's a resurgence in barber shops here, we have 2 national chains taking up residence and are opening new shops, one of them has a preference for converting and opening in what were once auto repair garages. The other likes to sell club memberships including unlimited cuts and with different membership levels including straight razor shaves and light manscaping with wax.

Unlimited cuts with straight razor shaves? I could get behind that. I cut mine myself because I cut it about every two weeks, and that gets pricey. I would definitely be interested in a place that would do it every week if it was reasonable. Which chain is that??

idohair said:   

Same applies when going to massage parlor.

Also with Xmas coming up I tip the same amount as cut, is that pretty standard?

Skipping 29 Messages...
idohair said:   SigX said:   Don't ever sleep with the woman that cuts your hair. That's my policy.that is a great policy!
yeah. i get done what i need to get done in my 3-13 minutes and i'm out of there!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014