• Text Only
rated:
November 26, 2012

Word of the Day

sederunt
\suh-DEER-unt\

DEFINITION
noun
: a prolonged sitting (as for discussion)

EXAMPLES
"This letter is a report of a long sederunt ... at Davos Platz, Dec. 15, 1880." From a letter by Robert Louis Stevenson, dated December 19, 1880

"A proposed schedule was passed, whereby (among other things) informal, job fair-style briefing groups will be held on Sunday afternoon, Monday morning will be devoted to an orientation for the entire assembly, and a regular business sederunt will commence Monday afternoon." From an article in the Presbyterian Record, January 1, 2012

DID YOU KNOW?
"Sederunt" was summonsed by members of the Scottish Court of Session and other deliberative bodies during the 17th century to refer to the list of people present at meetings and to the "sittings" themselves. The word sat in deliberation for some time before being called upon by the general public as a word for any prolonged sitting, whether for relaxation, reading, casual discussion, or the like. "Sederunt" proved to be the right choice because it derives from Latin "sedēre," meaning "to sit."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day/

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
The children too small for the main Passover table, were sent to the Sederunt table.

I am too small to sit at the table, sed-e-runt.

"I'll be gone all weekend, dear"
"Why? where are you going?"
"It'se der 'unt. If I manage to shoot a deer we'll have summer sausage and venison to eat"

"You are my favorite niece" sed 'er unt.

addams family theme:

sed-er-unt
sed-er-unt
sed-er-unt, sed-er-unt, sed-er-unt

that sederunt the entertainer guy is pretty funny

Se de runt say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell.

states are allowed to se-sede, run to the border!

double the post, double the fun

I've got a headached this big and it's got exsederunt written all over it!

That David Sederunt is one crazy guy! His sister is pretty out there, too.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014