Emotional Support Animals

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Anyone know anything about getting an Rx for one? A family member who lives alone has some cognitive disabilities, but is fully functional and takes care of himself. He lives in a no pet retirement community in Florida, He would really like a cat, and the animal would do wonders for him. It would give his life some joy and meaning.

Im more concerend about the community response to him getting one than I am about getting an Rx.

If it's a no pet retirment community, that would mean...

Wait, I got distracted, what was I saying again?

You might wish to read the questions/answers on this webpage. Although it addresses service & emotional support dogs, the information might be relative to emotional support cats, if there is such a thing.

Sounds like the person should move. We could easily have the opposite post. I have a friend that needs to live in a pet free environment but ....

If he gets the Rx, the community can't do anything about it, as under the Civil Rights Act he has a right to request in writing for a 'reasonable accommodation' for the ESA. He does not need to reveal the reason for the ESA, and under the law he cannot be asked. All he needs to reveal is that it is an ESA and his physician has prescribed it due to disability (which he doesn't need to reveal as to what disability) And under Federal Law, it has to be allowed. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Not about a pet, but about reserved handicapped parking in my former apartment complex. Also to have a portable dishwasher in my apartment.

germanpope said:   Sounds like the person should move. We could easily have the opposite post. I have a friend that needs to live in a pet free environment but ....

ITA. There may be residents with severe allergies who moved there specifically because of the no pets policy. The community can't change this type of policy on a whim as it may seriously impact others.

I know there was a big brouhaha here in MN about a similar story. Lady moved into a retirement "no-pets allowed" community, then got a guide dog. I can see both sides of the story and I would suggest asking management ahead of time about an rx-pet (maybe it could be allowed as an exception with other resident's permissions).

Side note, as a cat lover I know that a cat would be a wonderful pet for OP's friend, but, we adopted two gerbils a couple of months ago and I'm having more fun with them then I ever thought I would. Gerbils (IMHO) are friendlier and more active than hamsters; getting a gerbil might be an idea for a no-one-needs-to-know kind of pet to see how it goes. Gerbils are pretty cheap to care for, but they LOVE to chew, so keep in mind that they need a never ending supply of toilet paper tubes or other light cardboard items. My two gerbils can destroy a tp tube in about 5 minutes.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014