pet peeves 15: quincinera

Archived From: Off Topic
  • 1 234513
  • Page
  • Text Only
rated:
let the whining begin

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
speaking of quinceaneras:
did you see the latest 2 broke girls?
lol
they were going to cater a party for a quineanera/baby shower

I worked with a spanish speaking church, when a girl turned 15, the family would celebrate on Sunday at the church (the only place they could afford to throw any sort of party) and this 15 year old girl, dressed all in white with a tiara, would be the belle of the ball all day long. It always seemed to me that the message was, "you're special today. You'll spend every other day of your life washing dishing and cooking tortillas."

you sure are a little ray of sunshine, aren't you?

when i lived in san diego, i knew quite a few affluent hispanics. just sayin'

i have no idea why sometimes the explanation of the joke gets more of a response than the joke itself

soundtechie said:   I worked with a spanish speaking church, when a girl turned 15, the family would celebrate on Sunday at the church (the only place they could afford to throw any sort of party) and this 15 year old girl, dressed all in white with a tiara, would be the belle of the ball all day long. It always seemed to me that the message was, "you're special today. You'll spend every other day of your life washing dishing and cooking tortillas."

My wife and I were invited to the quincenera of one of the girls on my speed skating team. It was held at a banquet hall, with the traditional waltzes and a dance choreographed by her godmother who was a dance instructor, multiple changes of outfits, photographs that were taken ahead of time in mulitple locations with different outfits (including bikini beach shots) and a splashy video of her to top it off. While it was nice to share in the celebration of this important event in our friend's life, it all felt a bit creepy. The overall message of the whole evening seemed to be "She's ripe for the pickings, boys. Come and Get Her!!!"

When I spoke to her dad, he said he spent all his money on the quincenera, so once she gets married, she's on her own!

A quincearea is a restaurant that serves quiche.

Oh, sorry, I thought this was the WOTD thread.

This ain't gonna be politically correct, but...

The quinceanera has always bothered me. It's great to have a coming-of-age ceremony, but the quinceanera is a lot of grownups spoiling a teenage girl. As if they're not self-centered enough.

We Jews do it differently. A bat mitzvah requires a 13 year old girl to study for two years, a portion of the Torah and also Hebrew. (Think of an assisted research project.) For the ceremony itself, she has to lead the entire congregation in services, part of it rote and part of it her own interpretation of a passage of the Torah. When she's finished, she'll have a blowout party.

She learns study habits, responsibility, and leadership as well as a second language and an appreciation of her heritage. As opposed to a quinceanera, which does nothing to encourage studying.

interestingly enough, it bothered me because the message I got was that poor people can't be happy or enjoy life because they have to work hard to get by and have no status symbols

when I got home from work the power went out about ten times in five minutes
but at least I didn't have all of my work clothes in the dryer like my neighbor who I met in the hallway and who had to be at work in 2 hours and only had wet clothes
hope he didn't have to feed the dryer more qwattahs to get it working again
lesson to be learned; do not let your clean work clothes completely run out before doing laundry

Annoyed my husband lied to his mom about what I'm making for Christmas dinner. Just stupid. So I'm making Mexican food instead of a ham. She loves my food because I do things differently.

mexican food for christmas dinner is awesome. i had mexican food for thanksgiving...also awesome

not being able to sleep peeves me off

Super early morning flights. I didn't book my tickets home until pretty late this Christmas so only choice to get an even semi reasonable price was to go super early. Been up since 3:30 and only got about 3 hours sleep. Luckily my family is pretty understanding about the need to take naps.

morecowbell said:   not being able to sleep peeves me off

Me too. Couldnt go to sleep until about 2. Woke wideassed awake at 6.

Woke up with a sore neck. Guess everybody slept poorly last night.

Muffin woke me up several times. She gets bored and lonely during the night now and wakes me up every couple hours asking for food or attention. Sigh.

Now I remember why I don't make tamales more often.

L=Spotify]/Spotify-coupons/#shopnow=http://www.spotify.com[/L] keeps playing Trojan ads. Besides being annoying, they are a reminder that I don't need their product.

I miss having the badgers as neighbors.

The human ones suck

80%, 40%, 40% blockage

I hate the number 15

As I went out in the rain to retrieve my Sunday papers it occurred to me that I should have stopped service on the newspapers delivered to the office. oopsie. I don't have any of the account info here at home so I can't stop service now unless I drive to the office, look up the invoices and call. hmmm, not really likely I'm afraid.

They are supposed to have a big event & girl wears a beautiful brightly colored dress & they take pictures & stuff.

MadAnthony said:   L=Spotify]/Spotify-coupons/#shopnow=http://www.spotify.com[/L] keeps playing Trojan ads. Besides being annoying, they are a reminder that I don't need their product.

Who is more likely to buy a condom in response to an ad, the person who needs condoms, or the person who *wishes* he needed condoms? Clearly, the crew at Trojan's advertising department have placed their bet.

sublimosa said:   80%, 40%, 40% blockage

I'm in NJ visiting the parents for a few days. My dad has this odd obsession with making sure the recycling/trash gets put out - their recycling gets picked up tomorrow. Within the first hour of me getting here, he mentioned it like three times. When I brought it out, the then proceeded to ask me if I'd brought all of it out... I told him yes, unless he'd hidden some somewhere.

A while back when I was up here, he had a bag of trash sitting on their patio that needed to go out. He actually brought it inside and left it in the dining room so I would get the hint. Once again, it was something that wasn't getting picked up until the next day.....

Usually I'm a pretty good judge of character, really disappointed in myself.

packratmarty said:   Usually I'm a pretty good judge of character, really disappointed in myself.You said, "Ask me anything."

webferret said:    Woke wideassed awake at 6.
Yea had that happen once when I was locked up

People who judge me
When they don't know me

Corganiacs said:   People who judge me
When they don't know me

This link was brought to you by the society for the link impaired.

Have to work tomorrow - and still haven't finished all my cleaning.
Ugh.

I has a space heater and I lives in a apartment building
this year, it lives under my desk to keep my tootsies warm
last year, it lived in my bedroom to keep me from turning into popsicle while sleeping
btw, i has electric heat but there's nothing between flooring and carpet, insulation? waht's that?
/brrrr

moonbeam said:   sublimosa said:   80%, 40%, 40% blockage

my mother has arterial plaque, although those #s are still in question (having a lot of sibings means a lot of misinformation-
I just get used to one bit of news when I'm told it was wrong and am given the current "correct" information
it is exhausting

packratmarty said:   Usually I'm a pretty good judge of character, really disappointed in myself.People are strange

MadAnthony said:   I'm in NJ visiting the parents for a few days. My dad has this odd obsession with making sure the recycling/trash gets put out - their recycling gets picked up tomorrow. Within the first hour of me getting here, he mentioned it like three times. When I brought it out, the then proceeded to ask me if I'd brought all of it out... I told him yes, unless he'd hidden some somewhere.

A while back when I was up here, he had a bag of trash sitting on their patio that needed to go out. He actually brought it inside and left it in the dining room so I would get the hint. Once again, it was something that wasn't getting picked up until the next day.....

A lot of people put out the trash yesterday for this morning's pickup. I thought city offices were closed including trash, but we'll see.

Skipping 461 Messages...
♪call you on the telephone baby, give you a ring

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014