The Flu.. media hype?

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
Media Hype? or are people around you getting sick? In Ca It's said to not have been hard hit yet (most kids are not in school... where I am ) so I think that may be keeping it down a bit here locally..

did you get the shot?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Shot it only for certain strains, however, you can get the other ones which is what is happening.

handyguy said:   Shot it only for certain strains, however, you can get the other ones which is what is happening. I saw a doc on the news this morning say the opposite; that they nailed it this year.

Everyone here is sick. I've had something for the past month. I can't seem to shake it.

And no, I didn't get a flu shot. They won't give me regular flu shots because they contain thimerosol as a preservative and I'm allergic/sensitive to it. I think my doctor can special order it without that preservative, but I've never done it.

Kandykornhead said:   handyguy said:   Shot it only for certain strains, however, you can get the other ones which is what is happening. I saw a doc on the news this morning say the opposite; that they nailed it this year.
Heard around 90% of the cases are the same strains contained in the vaccine.

a bunch of the people I work with have tested positive for flu, we also have strep going around.

Kandykornhead said:   handyguy said:   Shot it only for certain strains, however, you can get the other ones which is what is happening. I saw a doc on the news this morning say the opposite; that they nailed it this year. According to the pharmacist who administered the vaccination for me, CDC stated that the correct strain was selected for the vaccination this season.

I had influenza for the first time in a long time this year, and I didn't catch it nearly as badly as those I was close to. In fact, I've been pretty lucky this year, only had one cold. Had the fever, the whole 9, but only once.

It's terrible here. My department head was out for a full week. He said he was the sickest he's been in his entire life, and I'll vouch for the fact that that guy never misses work. The people I know who have had it were all down for about a week and they all said it's miserable.

We've also got Strep going around pretty bad here. My mother couldn't get in at her regular doc's office this week, so she went to a walk-in doc to get antibiotic for her Strep. She went one night around 7:00 and turned around and went straight back home. She said the lobby was standing room only of people wearing masks, coughing and sneezing constantly. She went back the next morning at 8:00 sharp and was there for two and a half hours just to get a script for some antibiotics.

I've been really careful this last month to stay home as much as possible. I figured there was no point in taking the chance. Classes don't start here until Monday, and I didn't have to get around co-workers until today. I've just been working from home. It's safer that way.

I think a flu particle is about 5u (micron) in size, so if your office air filter can't catch something that size it just gets sent around the office.

a lot of people in december had it. ours started before dec 10th, before flu season officially began, but you can get the flu all year long, albeit not the same strand

IOU said:   Media Hype? or are people around you getting sick? In Ca It's said to not have been hard hit yet (most kids are not in school... where I am ) so I think that may be keeping it down a bit here locally..

did you get the shot?

I got shot a couple of months ago, but I've been trying to get over a rather long bout of a cold. I think I got it on an airplane going to San Francisco in late December. With airplanes I always seem to catch something from other passengers. They're virus factories.

Not to bad here in CA, but anybody that traveled the last few weeks to other states (including myself) has come back sick.

I've never had the flu in my life (knock on wood) and to date I've never taken a flu shot. I have one friend who got the flu recently but other than that I haven't heard of any unusual increase in cases.

At the gf's work, the flu has been going around, and at her family's house. Luckily it hasn't at my work, but we don't have a lot of people in from outside very often.

Did not get the shot. Did get the flu. Been over 10 years since I last had the flu. Next year I'm getting the shot ( like I haven't said that one before).

Got the shot, not sick but some folks at work are...they also got the shot. So, there's that.

I don't know, what the subjective measure of a "epidemic"?

No one on my floor of work has been sick AFAIK.

added: answered my own questionHow are the flu activity levels determined?
Google Flu Trends compares the estimates based on search data against a historic baseline level of flu activity for that area. Depending on whether the current estimate is higher or lower than the baseline, Google Flu Trends reports the general activity level as Minimal, Low, Moderate, High, or Intense. Each category has a corresponding color that is displayed under the graph.

im not an epidemiologist but the movie with gwenyth paltrow, matt damon in 2011, they talked about the r-nought factor..
????

ZenNUTS said:   I don't know, what the subjective measure of a "epidemic"?

No one on my floor of work has been sick AFAIK.

added: answered my own questionHow are the flu activity levels determined?
Google Flu Trends compares the estimates based on search data against a historic baseline level of flu activity for that area. Depending on whether the current estimate is higher or lower than the baseline, Google Flu Trends reports the general activity level as Minimal, Low, Moderate, High, or Intense. Each category has a corresponding color that is displayed under the graph.

Gee...you don't look fluish...

discusbabe said:   a bunch of the people I work with have tested positive for flu, we also have strep going around.
A colleague was out Friday with strep and flu. I called around on Saturday and all the pharmacies are out of the flu vaccine in my immediate area. I'm trying to find the transdermal vaccination rather than the intramuscular shot. I'm a sissy.

It's very bad here in MA/RI.

They have run out of beds at local hospitals, it can take an entire shift to see folks waiting to get into the ED. The daily patient census is off the charts. There just is no more room at the 'inn' but they double & triple park them in the hallways.

It isn't all flu patients but those who developed pneumonia after the flu, or became dehydrated then passed out and broke something when they fell.

my mom went into the hospital today with the flu

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/should-doctors-and-nurses...

should healthcare workers be able to refuse flu shots? another way to ask the question is can hospitals require healthcare workers to get flu shots as part of their employment?

the CDC estimates average yearly deaths from the flu in the US between 25,000-37,000 EVERY year.

If smokers are not allowed to breath their smoke on us, why are healthcare workers allowed to spread flu? One can be infected and spreading the flu couple of days before they actually show the symptoms.

HumDoHamaraDo said:   If smokers are not allowed to breath their smoke on us, why are healthcare workers allowed to spread flu? One can be infected and spreading the flu couple of days before they actually show the symptoms.

why only healthcare workers? why not postal workers, or teachers, or mcdonald workers? if you believe that flu shots prevent the spread of flus, why don't you require EVERYONE to get it?

miserly said:   HumDoHamaraDo said:   If smokers are not allowed to breath their smoke on us, why are healthcare workers allowed to spread flu? One can be infected and spreading the flu couple of days before they actually show the symptoms.

why only healthcare workers? why not postal workers, or teachers, or mcdonald workers? if you believe that flu shots prevent the spread of flus, why don't you require EVERYONE to get it?

Because patients in hospitals frequently have compromised immune system, making them at much higher risk of death if they get the flu.
A trip to post office, mcdonalds or other establishments is brief and has a significantly less chance of contracting flu. Liberalism is all well and good in theory, but fails in real life applications.

Someone needs to explain to me why I'm only supposed to eat fish once a month because of mercury, but its okay to get a mercury filled shot every year to stop the flu.

I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

I will never again get another flu shot! I swear the flu shot is what kick starts Influenza around the country!

scrouds said:   Someone needs to explain to me why I'm only supposed to eat fish once a month because of mercury, but its okay to get a mercury filled shot every year to stop the flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/thimerosal.htm
Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative that has been used for decades in the United States in multi-dose vials (vials containing more than one dose) of some vaccines to prevent the growth of germs, bacteria and fungi, that can contaminate them.

so multi-dose vials may have preservatives with based on mercury. so if you get a shot at your doctor, you'll likely get single dose vial and NO thmerasol. amount of thimerosal and mercury in different vaccines here http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm. FDA advisory on mercury and eating seafood. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/S...

so to break it down for you, you can eat different fish more than once a month. some fish have more mercury than others. choose between them. also, high levels of mercury affects babies and their brain development, so the advisory is more pertinent to babies and pregnant women.
the individual dose vials do not have a mercury based preservative and it's trace amounts would not be considered "mercury filled". these seem to be relevant facts from reliable sources. but if you'd rather believe Jenny McCarthy, go ahead. http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2012/05/27/nobel-laur...

JerseyGirl007 said:   I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

I will never again get another flu shot! I swear the flu shot is what kick starts Influenza around the country!

ITA. The med pros I know disagree...using some weird "science" argument to make their points. Bah. I still wont take another one until someone wrestles me down.

webferret said:   JerseyGirl007 said:   I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

ITA. The med pros I know disagree...using some weird "science" argument to make their points. Bah. I still wont take another one until someone wrestles me down.

It's not weird science. They are using a dead virus to trigger your body into thinking it's a real attack. Your body reacts to the dead non-invasive virus, and starts to build up it's defenses against the strains in that shot. This year the shot is around 62% effective, which is very good compared to other years. If you got the flu after a shot in years past, then you got a strain that was not included in that years shot. The shot really is a crap shoot, and the CDC is basically trying to put a logical guess together on what strains will be passed around each given year. This year the most popular strain they matched around 99.4%, the second most popular is only matched around 60%, and the third and least popular strain they matched 100%. Like I said, this year they did pretty well, other years not so much.

MarsdenFubar said:   webferret said:   JerseyGirl007 said:   I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

It's not weird science. They are using a dead virus to trigger your body into thinking it's a real attack. Your body reacts to the dead non-invasive virus, and starts to build up it's defenses against the strains in that shot. This year the shot is around 62% effective, which is very good compared to other years. If you got the flu after a shot in years past, then you got a strain that was not included in that years shot. The shot really is a crap shoot, and the CDC is basically trying to put a logical guess together on what strains will be passed around each given year. This year the most popular strain they matched around 99.4%, the second most popular is only matched around 60%, and the third and least popular strain they matched 100%. Like I said, this year they did pretty well, other years not so much.

yep. thats what they tell me. still gonna hafta wrestle me down to get another one. or catch me unawares with a misting flyby....

webferret said:   MarsdenFubar said:   webferret said:   JerseyGirl007 said:   I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

yep. thats what they tell me. still gonna hafta wrestle me down to get another one. or catch me unawares with a misting flyby....

I get one because my wife's MS meds lower her immune system, so even if there is a chance I can stop her from getting it, i'll do it.

Stay home. Visiting a doc or hospital just gives the people a chance they might get what you have & you might get what they have. Forget antibiotics- they don't do anything for viruses, those require an antiviral. Hopsitals are full of MRSA, you don't want to get that. Some exceptions are very young or very old people. Fever? Fevcer is how your body is fighting a virus, best not to surpress it but put a wet washcloth on your noggin if you're real hot. Temp of 102+ you might want to call a doc.

I get one every year, they've given them free here at work for years. I have much better winters since I began doing it.

Some of that may be due to kids being older and not bringing home the plague-of-the-month from preschool; I started getting nasty colds, sinus infections, and ear infections once they started school.

One doc told me that even though the shot is aimed at particular strains, the immune system triggers a general increase in its ability to fight off attacks. Even if that's a placebo, I'm sticking with what works for me.

Also, even though MA is getting hit hard, I don't know anyone at work, wife's school in next town, or daughter's friends that have gotten it yet. Weird.

FWIW, I saw Costco advertising the shot for $16 (I think many other places are $20-25). Also ask your local public health dept - they might have discounted/free shots available.

JerseyGirl007 said:   I haven't had the flu or influenza in over 20 years. Then, 2 years ago under peer-pressure I decided to get the Flu shot, it was November. In January, I contracted Influenza/flu and was out for a week, took me days to pick myself up and go to a doctor that's how weak I felt.

LoL, while I can't blame people for thinking this way, the logical fallacy that many people hold on to is what gets us in trouble.

A few people who opt out of vaccine is not a problem due to herd immunity. A lot of people who opt out puts us all in trouble. Such ignorance is what got UK in trouble and caused the measles outbreak.

It's very dangerous to use personal anecdote to arrive at a scientific conclusion. It's the whole reason behind double blind experimental procedures. Even unconscious bias by the researchers can influence results.

to put this another way, I can't trust my OWN intuition when it comes to getting at the truth.

Must wait 2 weeks for immunity to come in.

Skipping 7 Messages...
Corganiacs said:   preaching to the choir. i have patients who come and tell me they get the flu 3 weeks after they get the shot. I cannot make them understand....

There are also millions of people who think they have the "flu" when they really just have a bad cold.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014