metrocards

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a few metrocards i want to sell. they still have many months before they expire and they have a decent amount of funds on them. I dont really use Metrocards so i dont need them but i could use some cash.

Is it illegal to sell metrocards in the subway station? could i get in trouble (e.g., get arrested for doing it in the subway station)?

if anyone has any suggestions about what to do with my metrocards, please let me know. for example, could I get a refund of my metrocards' funds in cash at the token booth station?

i checked online and found no clear answer. my friends disagree on whether me selling metrocards in the station is allowed or prohibited. some of my friends say its not breaking any law. but other friends tell me that its giving mta unfair competition, and mta would try to punish me if they catch me redhanded. i dont know whos right.

thanks

for what city?

nyc

thanks for the reply. so to answer my question, "Is it illegal to sell metrocards in the NYC subway station? could i get in trouble (e.g., get arrested for doing it in the NYC subway station)?" is the answer "Yes, its illegal and i could get in big trouble"? thanks

yes, it is illegal

OK thanks.

Besides selling it on eBay and giving them away for free, what else may I do with my metrocards?

would mta token booths be able to issue me cash refunds?

No, MTA won't give you a cash refund. All they'll do is transfer the balance from one card to another. Your only option is to send your unused cards to me. Sorry, that's it.

Public transportation is for the unwashed.

fasttimes said:   Public transportation is for the unwashed.

and people who live in big cities.

If you are in the state of NY and you have to ask if something is illegal, don't bother asking. It is.

craigslist

moonbeam said:   fasttimes said:   Public transportation is for the unwashed.

and people who live in big cities.

And people who would rather play angry birds then watch cars on a highway

joedoubt said:   I'm not in NYC now.

Thanks for the status update

scrouds said:   joedoubt said:   I'm not in NYC now.

Thanks for the status update

Public Service Announcement said: Posting in Off Topic does NOT increase your post count

aren't metrocards just like a line of credit for metrosexuals?

Have you tried to contact the MTA to request a refund?

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/problems.htm#refund

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014