• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
LinkedIn
Bob Smith has sent you a message.
Date: 1/25/2013
Subject: Please Help!
Dear Friends, Jan-25-2013
I know I have written many times before and thanks from bottom of my soul for your support. I am a single dad with two daughters ages two and four who I am raising without their mother. I am unfortunately unemployed and disabled, fighting my disability case with social security. Although three of us receive state benefits, it covers our food and medical. In order to have ash I have resorted to selling my blood and volunteering for medical trials where I have to take the kids with me and make sure facilities have babysitting services.

This is not a scam, phishing, etc… and I truly apologize if I have annoyed some of you. Yesterday, we received an eviction notice to pay two months of late rent or evict and there is a three days response on it. I feel desperate and stuck. First I live in WA state with no families and second the horrible notion that we soon are going to be homeless and don’t know where to go. I have knocked on every door from section 8, HUD, Affordable housing, but waitlist is at least three years long and works on lottery.
I am asking you for your kindness and donation as I think of this letter as a fundraising effort for my family and I. Again, we are desperate, they are only toddlers and I frankly cry day and night, not knowing what to do. Please read this letter and take it to heart, pass it along to anyone who can help as we have hardly three days to act. Our rent is $15665 monthly and behind by two months, Thus around $3130 that I need to raise. Please don’t ignore my pleas and at least guide me in the route I need to take. I have severe depression, anxiety, ADD, Severe diabetic and suffer from spinal pain. If anyone is willing to help I am including all my info below so you can proceed by your donation, call me, send a check, etc… I truly appreciate all you have done so far and pray that God bless you and yours souls and kind heart.

Wells Fargo Account#: 9999999999
PayPal: xxxxxxx@gmail.com

So, this guy was my boss about 3 jobs ago. We worked really well together and I learned a lot from him. But we both got fed up with the company and left. He said he would write me a recommendation letter and never did, then just stopped calling/emailing, etc. (not because of the letter, just because). At the time I knew him, he was working on his Masters degree in Bus Ad, I think. He was from Seattle area and was commuting to a gf who was a wealthy attorney. This was probably 10 years ago? Then a couple of months ago he contacted me via LinkedIn. I checked out his profile and the data matches, but I did not recognize him by his photo. According to his message, he had been in a serious auto accident where he had had a spinal injury. When I knew him, he was ALL about money and status. The message pasted above is the fourth or fifth request for money I have received allegedly from him. I can't imagine that he had kids since he didn't like them. I can't see how he can donate blood if he is diabetic. Does this sound like a scam? The phone number he listed (not posted) does sound correct from what i recall, but the rest I do not know. His parents were in Seattle so perhaps they moved or passed away (he states that he has no family in the area). I believe his sister was living there as well.

It is bothering me to read his messages (and not send money) yet some of this sounds iffy to me. And the Bob I knew would NEVER stoop to begging ever. He was much too proud and too bankable. Sure, the accident could have kept him from being able to work. What would you do? It is messing with my harmony. tia.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
If this was truly a message from him, would you send money? Or would you suspect that he might be lying and scamming you?

If you would send money if it were him, then just call. Speaking to him on the phone would surely clear up any doubts as to his identity, and would serve the dual purpose of allowing you to share your concern and empathy for his situation (but not insincere pity). Also, if his account was hacked or if his identity is being stolen, I'm sure he'd want to know.

If you wouldn't send money either way, or can't afford to, then drop it and move on. Or you could still call to attempt to provide emotional support or to give direction, but that may be a difficult path to navigate (ie. without giving him any money). If you two haven't communicated in ten years, you don't have to feel bad about not doling out significant amounts of money, but I can understand if you do.

his account may have been hacked. i didn't see any specific information in the email that would identify him or let you verify it was indeed him.

Yeah I would think phone would be the way to talk to him. If you send a reply message via LinkedIn you may find yourself speaking with Lady Maryam Abacha who is REQUESTING YOUR URGENT REPLY.

This also reminds me of the scam where people call elderly folks claiming to be their grandchildren who got arrested in Ciudad Juarez or some other godforsaken place and they need a western union wire of $3k to get bailed out.

Dude, this sound like a hacked email but you never know. Is there a different way to email him? A lot of people use the same password for email and social network site... leading to...

I'm in the area and can access public information on the house, etc.. pm me if you want to find out more.

eta: getting social security disablity is not that difficult with documentation, again, more likely a scam.

Very nice of you to offer. FYI, she is not a dude.

kirbydog said:   Our rent is $15665 monthly and behind by two months, Thus around $3130 that I need to raise.

Does he have spare rooms in his mansion he can sublet to pay his bills?

sounds like scam to me, linkedin is popular for them. do not send money without a vocal confirmation.

It looks like a classic scam e-mail to me. Are people really this gullible?

remember that LinkedIn had a huge password leak last year.

Thanks, all. He did list a bank account number with his address in the message. I contracted another coworker to see if she has heard anything. Waiting to hear back.
Um, but he states in his message that it is not a scam!

It's sad, but a lot of people weave sad fake stories to prey on people.

Personally I'd call to confirm and if I gave him $$$ I probably wouldn't give him much since he didn't write that letter that I needed.

SUB said:   remember that LinkedIn had a huge password leak last year.

True and since then, they've lost a lot of reputation. All I get is pounded by spammers or scammers, whether it's due to the password leak or the unscrupolous just trying to further trash the name of the service.

bad spelling, bad grammar, bad punctuation, says it's not a scam

sounds legit

It's probably a scam, but then you never know about people.

Ten years ago, I got a photocopied letter in the postal mail from a woman I'd worked with for a period of 2 years (which was TEN YEARS prior to her sending me the letter). During the time we worked together, I had occasionally socialized on weekends with her and her then-husband. I had not heard a peep from her in the intervening 8 years after I left that job even though she knew my contact details. The letter contained a sob story about how she was divorced and her ex had full custody of their 2 kids and she wanted to be a singer and needed money so she could continue to afford a New York City apartment to be close to auditions in her industry, and so she was asking all her friends if they could each send her a few hundred dollars to go towards her singing lessons, outfits, and rent.

In the letter, she enclosed a photo (I think it was a photo of her with her ex and kids, which was strange, since they were divorced and he had full custody. The poor man had ballooned to about 3 times the size he'd been when I knew him. Lord knows what he'd gone through to disentangle from her, if she was as narcissistic as she appeared in the letter.)

It wasn't a scam, it was from her, and she actually thought this was a good idea. I wrote back to ask why she was contacting me, when I hadn't heard from her in the previous 8 years, not even to be told that she and her husband had had 2 kids, nor to be told that they had gotten divorced. She replied, spewing some waffle that I don't even remember. Needless to say, I didn't send her any money.

Actually, I think I'm going to look her up tomorrow on a search engine and see what I find. Though her full name is a very common one.

NantucketSunrise said:   It's probably a scam, but then TLDNR

Executive Summary: yeah, the same thing happened to me, for reals.

my my such snarc from preacher man!

I admit it, I laughed

sublimosa said:   my my such snarc from preacher man!

I admit it, I laughed

It's only the sons of preacher men you have to watch out for.

Kandykornhead said:   NantucketSunrise said:   It's probably a scam, but then TLDNR

It wasn't really "the same thing".

If "busy" folks slumming around in FW Off Topic require a so-called "executive summary" of a post that is only a few, brief paragraphs long, our education system has declined further than I have suspected.

the son, grandson, and great grandson of a preacher man
Disclaimer
kamalktk said:   sublimosa said:   my my such snarc from preacher man!

I admit it, I laughed

It's only the sons of preacher men you have to watch out for.
If that's true, then y'all better run.

pic hint: Four Reverends Kandykornhead individually framed, from r to l: me, my dad, his dad, and his dad.

p.s. I have sons

Well?

NantucketSunrise said:   Kandykornhead said:   NantucketSunrise said:   It's probably a scam, but then TLDNR

It wasn't really "the same thing".

If "busy" folks slumming around in FW Off Topic require a so-called "executive summary" of a post that is only a few, brief paragraphs long, our education system has declined further than I have suspected.
Maybe you haven't read the Jason loves Flora thread where the power of Dkong's summary was truly recognized.

Hacker scam. Didn't they do this with emails and/or facebook? Telling them they are on vacation and stuck somewhere and to send money transfer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014