• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
First off... sorry if this is the wrong forum, we do not have a property forum that I know of.

I will try to keep to the facts:

Wife and I own 1/4 acre in city and share common boundaries with neighbors who have similar size lots. Our neighbor to the west built a 4' foot fence diving the property - we do not have a fence to the north or south. The neighbor kitty-corner (northwest) is an older lady who walks two dogs around the block each morning. By the time she reaches our house she is approximately half way complete with her walk. Recently she has begun the habit of walking through our property to return home, so she does not have to complete the final 1/2 of the block.

As you might expect, this frustrates me (and my wife)... but I want to get a barometer on our action plans we thought of:

1. Do nothing... keep neighborly relations.
2. Talk to "northwest neighbor" and nicely probe to see if there is a medical condition or other reason this is occurring that we do not know of - if not, ask nicely that she discontinue this behavior. (This has the potential the cause "old-lady" feud.)
3. Build a fence.

I am aware that #1 is probably the best decision, and I am not that excited about #3. Wife really wants to do something and leans toward #2.

Thoughts? (please ask if I left out any relevant info)

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
what about an alligator moat? too much with the tar?

webferret (Jan. 30, 2013 @ 3:55p) |

Recreate Vlad Tepes's 'Forest of the Impaled' in your front yard. Put a sign on an empty stake that reads: "RESERVED F... (more)

grapegrl (Jan. 30, 2013 @ 5:05p) |

She looks like honey booboo.

here's the scarecrow in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY

iowahawkeye (Jan. 30, 2013 @ 7:00p) |

Is she just walking through or letting her dogs go all over your property? I'd just let it go if its the first one and she's not doing any damage.

If you see her start, go outside and sit like you are doing something and pretend to be surprised when you see her "appear" out of nowhere in your property. That way you can ask "Are you ok? Do you need me to call 911 since I see you could not make it all the way around" and get the conversation going, instead of questioning her out of the blue.

If it continues, you can ask her nicely next time that it is creating a natural path on your grass, and you will have to replace it, if she could just go 1/4 of the way and then back the same way.

ETA:

Let her know that there are fleas in your yard and you do not treat for them.

Would you constantly walk through someone's yard that you do not know very well?

I know I sure as hell would feel weird doing so, especially if I didn't know them and haven't previously talked to them about it. I don't think it's normal for her (or anyone) to make a habit of going through/into other people's yards. If a kid throws a ball over the fence or something and is going to reclaim it every now and then, that's a different story.

Maybe say something like you are getting your grass treated and would appreciate it she would keep off.

1 or 3

1) This is a finance forum. Does this question in any way relate to finance?

2) How does an old lady walking across your lawn negatively impact you in any way. Unless it is causing you some harm, just let it go. There is no reason to get on bad terms with a neighbor for a stupid reason.

You could try the passive-aggressive approach. Get a motion-activated sprinkler. Its made to deter animals, but I bet it works for people, too!

So she enters your property at the very south and goes alongside the 4 ft fence on the west until it ends and she reaches her property to the NW ?

Ask the old lady if the sidewalk is broken. If it is, call the city. She may get the hint.

I'd do the sprinkler.

Danger! Radon
Disclaimer
Something like this should change her behaviour.

mow the lawn in your boxer.

is it one of those cities where you can own guns? I thought you can shoot trespassers on site in most states.. obviously in nyc you cant, i'd shoot the hag as soon as she step foot on my property, if I didn't live in nyc, lol

If she's old, she will fall. If she falls, she will sue. If you know that she walks across your lawn, a lawyer will claim that you bear some responsibility for providing a safe walkway.

see, she will sue you. its just better to shoot her as soon as she trespasses...

Tell her you saw some mice and you might have to put some rat poison, so if she could make sure the dogs don't enter your yard for a while.
Obviously DON'T actually put any poison.

xoneinax said:   So she enters your property at the very south and goes alongside the 4 ft fence on the west until it ends and she reaches her property to the NW ?

Yes... she enters the property at the SW corner, walks along the west end to her house, and then exits at the NW corner.

I suggest a very angry dog on your property.

Can you just put a fence from the side of your house to the neighbor's fence? based on your description, that's probably about 10-12 ft of fence.

Or get a sign "Please keep off the grass".

Or start nude sunbathing in the backyard...

ok, set a couple bear traps on the path she takes and play loud music for a couple days. she will eventually bleed out.

One word: Ninjas.

I second two options here:

The first being just sunbathe nude and make sure you talk to the lady when she passes through a few times...maybe on very windy day too.

I also second the idea of bear traps. An under utilized tool these days that is sorely missed. Oh and keep bears nearby to let loose after the trap is sprung (you don't want those bears getting hurt now).

I would talk with the lady and let her know that this irritates you and that permission is not grated to do this on your property. Like others have said if she falls she could sue, or if her dogs bite someone on your property you might be liable as well. Do report back on how the conversation goes.

how is this finance related?

I really do not mind people walk through my backyard if I do not build a fence. Friendly neighbor relationship is more valuable to me.

If her walk really make u discomfort, build fence from all boundaries - make yourself in "isolated island"

Good luck

Whatev.

BTW, I'm surpised you didn't get destroyed for posting this in Finance.

delson said:   I really do not mind people walk through my backyard if I do not build a fence. Friendly neighbor relationship is more valuable to me.

If her walk really make u discomfort, build fence from all boundaries - make yourself in "isolated island"

Good luck

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors. Don't need range wars or regulators roaming the suburban prairie.

if you have a neighbor that's a minor, then collect a few more pieces and you'd be set to play stratego

Why can't people have adult conversations anymore? Geez. Go talk to her.

scrouds said:   Why can't people have adult conversations anymore? Geez. Go talk to her.

I second this. (Why do I keep agreeing with Scrouds? disturbing). You're an adult. It may be unpleasant to talk to her, but that's part of being an adult. It may be unpleasant to deal with whatever response she dishes out, but that's part of being an adult. Talk to her.

olvrtw said:   is it one of those cities where you can own guns? BELOIT!

Or, since it is your wife who seems to care more about it, suggest that she talk to her.

Sprinkler
Disclaimer
bluechalk said:   You could try the passive-aggressive approach. Get a motion-activated sprinkler. Its made to deter animals, but I bet it works for people, too!

The second photo for this item is priceless ... LOL.

i found that humerus!

Elderly
Disclaimer
Even more on topic ... picture 13 uploaded by users ...

I kid you not, the caption is:

"Perfect for keeping those pesky elderly out of the yard! "

Didn't you say she's elderly? Wow. Is it really that big of a deal?

If she's not hurting your property or getting in your way... then drop it. There are MUCH bigger things in the land of neighborhoods to get torqued up about.

Wave and say "hello". Be friendly to her. Don't be a b*tchy neighbor and say "hey old fart... GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

Sheesh.

I don't find anything wrong with your objection. I might cut through a neighbor's yard like, ONCE, if I really needed to but never on a daily basis and only if I was on a first-name basis with them. If she doesn't really know you and she's doing it on a daily basis: Socially unnacceptable. Pretty rude, actually.

joyrae said:   Didn't you say she's elderly? Wow. Is it really that big of a deal?

If she's not hurting your property or getting in your way... then drop it. There are MUCH bigger things in the land of neighborhoods to get torqued up about.

Wave and say "hello". Be friendly to her. Don't be a b*tchy neighbor and say "hey old fart... GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

Sheesh.

The OP has a genuine concern.

I would expect that elderly people are way more likely to fall down and injure themselves than other age groups.
Personally, I wouldn't want anybody to make a habit of cutting through my yard, elderly or otherwise, just for the liability of them injuring themselves in my yard.

He should definitely be polite about it. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with him requesting that she not go through his yard.

Skipping 30 Messages...
ShadowedBlade said:   bluechalk said:   You could try the passive-aggressive approach. Get a motion-activated sprinkler. Its made to deter animals, but I bet it works for people, too!

The second photo for this item is priceless ... LOL.

She looks like honey booboo.

here's the scarecrow in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014