• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
arch8ngel said:   joyrae said:   Didn't you say she's elderly? Wow. Is it really that big of a deal?

If she's not hurting your property or getting in your way... then drop it. There are MUCH bigger things in the land of neighborhoods to get torqued up about.

Wave and say "hello". Be friendly to her. Don't be a b*tchy neighbor and say "hey old fart... GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

Sheesh.

The OP has a genuine concern.

I would expect that elderly people are way more likely to fall down and injure themselves than other age groups.
Personally, I wouldn't want anybody to make a habit of cutting through my yard, elderly or otherwise, just for the liability of them injuring themselves in my yard.

He should definitely be polite about it. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with him requesting that she not go through his yard.

He doesn't mention being concerned about legal issues... he just says it's annoying. HUGE difference.

joyrae said:   arch8ngel said:   joyrae said:   Didn't you say she's elderly? Wow. Is it really that big of a deal?

If she's not hurting your property or getting in your way... then drop it. There are MUCH bigger things in the land of neighborhoods to get torqued up about.

Wave and say "hello". Be friendly to her. Don't be a b*tchy neighbor and say "hey old fart... GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

Sheesh.

The OP has a genuine concern.

I would expect that elderly people are way more likely to fall down and injure themselves than other age groups.
Personally, I wouldn't want anybody to make a habit of cutting through my yard, elderly or otherwise, just for the liability of them injuring themselves in my yard.

He should definitely be polite about it. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with him requesting that she not go through his yard.

He doesn't mention being concerned about legal issues... he just says it's annoying. HUGE difference.
Meh. I'd be annoyed too.

joyrae said:   

I really don't think it matters why he doesn't want somebody to make a habit of trespassing on his property.

So no, it's not that big of a difference, since it's still his property to decide who walks across it on a daily basis...

Booby trap your yard with filipendulous trays of salsa perched on step ladders tied to fishing line. Video it.

When you say "build a fence", it doesn't have to be a full-on fence. Just enough so she gets the message. Bang a few pickets into the ground and string some rope between them. She's old and unlikely to do anything too athletic to go over or under it.

I don't know about the USA, but in some countries there's the concept of "right of way". If you let her keep doing it for a certain amount of time (10 years or something?), then at some point you're not allowed to do anything that blocks the path. So you wouldn't be allowed to put up a fence or stick a big building on it. Better stop her now.

Put up a sign saying

BEWARE OF PUNJI STAKES

put up a sign reading
"you're the old person, but I'm the cranky one
get off my lawn!"

Watch Cool Hand Luke. The goto Costco and buy a jar of cayenne pepper.

get a pit bull, problem solved.

scrouds said:   Why can't people have adult conversations anymore? Geez. Go talk to her.

because there are some hard headed crazy people in the world these days. people, especially territorial women love stepping over boundries to get what they want including what is yours.

????????????????????
????????????????????

What?

pee all over, thereby marking your territory. she will smell it and be like "oh, this is someone else's territory" and then avoid the area altogether. either that or she will keep sniffing and then add her own

FrugalFreak said:   scrouds said:   Why can't people have adult conversations anymore? Geez. Go talk to her.

because there are some hard headed crazy people in the world these days. people, especially territorial women love stepping over boundries to get what they want including what is yours.
Do they bite as well?

FrugalFreak said:   scrouds said:   Why can't people have adult conversations anymore? Geez. Go talk to her.

You realize we're talking about asking someone not to walk on your lawn right? If she proves to be unreasonable after a discussion, then move on to the sprinkler, fence or have police issue a trespass warning.

joyrae said:   ????????????????????
????????????????????

What?

sorry, woman neighbor who doesn't know HER boundaries. When you rent a lot, it is for YOUR lot, not become queen of the dang park.
1. when she first moves in, I had a metal dog pen, it was used, she begged for it so I told her take it so she would leave me alone after asking twice and then geting landlord to ask for it., promptly day or two later, she had dissassembled and thrown away.
2. I share a tree with next lot, previous landlord used it as boundary between two lots. The queen B decided it was HER tree and moved my swing that was next to it and prepares to plant flowers, layout BBQ area, etc.. taking the damn thing over.
3. The Queen B is always making "helpful" snide remarks to get me to do what she thinks I should do. One day she decided to take my dog walking WITHOUT my permission. She enters into my yard when she wishes to pet the dog.

when she first moved in she gave me a shoddy cupboard I guess as payment for the pen, and since then she thinks she has reign. Many women have this "Do what I wish attitude" from my observation.

<rant over>

Or plant some bushes along the front, a nice wall of white roses look rather nice. and its even bare root season for the roses

Even just those little flimsy wire border things is a visual barier, that would probably work, cheap and simple to put in and non permanent

Start wandering around her property randomly. Ask her if she minds.

Or install a scary looking scarecrow with a motion sensor that orients the scarecrow towards the motion so it follows her as she walks through, and randomly lets out a scary shriek.

Fart in her general direction

olvrtw: is it one of those cities where you can own guns? I thought you can shoot trespassers on site in most states.. obviously in nyc you cant, i'd shoot the hag as soon as she step foot on my property, if I didn't live in nyc, lol

cristinaaaron: If she's old, she will fall. If she falls, she will sue.

olvrtw: see, she will sue you. its just better to shoot her as soon as she trespasses...

curtisekarr: Try to be compassionate. Just wait til she falls, then shoot her!

curtisekarr said:   olvrtw: is it one of those cities where you can own guns? I thought you can shoot trespassers on site in most states.. obviously in nyc you cant, i'd shoot the hag as soon as she step foot on my property, if I didn't live in nyc, lol

cristinaaaron: If she's old, she will fall. If she falls, she will sue.

olvrtw: see, she will sue you. its just better to shoot her as soon as she trespasses...

curtisekarr: Try to be compassionate. Just wait til she falls, then shoot her!

Could you wait until she falls, and then say the fall was part of your defense of your property?

Remember folks its called castle doctrine, not yard doctrine. You're not allowed to shoot her.

scrouds said:   Remember folks its called castle doctrine, not yard doctrine. You're not allowed to shoot her.Put up a dog house, problem solved.

Invite her into your house, then shoot her!

curtisekarr said:   Invite her into your house, then shoot her!

Ask her to help you break a window, and then shoot her

dig a deep trench and fill it with burning tar.

discusbabe said:   dig a deep trench and fill it with burning tar.

what about an alligator moat? too much with the tar?

join me for dinner
Disclaimer
Recreate Vlad Tepes's 'Forest of the Impaled' in your front yard. Put a sign on an empty stake that reads: "RESERVED FOR THE OLD BROAD WHO KEEPS CUTTING THROUGH MY YARD".

Pic hint for Limo: woodcut illustration from an old pamphlet showing Vlad (Dracula) Tepes dining among the impaled bodies of his enemies and other people who annoyed him

ShadowedBlade said:   bluechalk said:   You could try the passive-aggressive approach. Get a motion-activated sprinkler. Its made to deter animals, but I bet it works for people, too!

The second photo for this item is priceless ... LOL.

She looks like honey booboo.

here's the scarecrow in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014