Peeling 2
Disclaimer

Peeling 3
Disclaimer

Box Mismatch 2
Disclaimer

Peeling 1
Disclaimer
I just had new mid grade KCMA certified maple wood kitchen cabinets from a major nationwide manufacturer installed last week and I'm noticing a few defects already. First, there is some de-lamination/peeling on the inside top part of one cabinet. I notified the dealer/kitchen designer and a claim was put in. Not sure what that means specifically.

I have noticed with two doors on two different upper cabinets that they appear to be warped, for a lack of a better term, as the top portion of these doors are not flush with the cabinet (they bow out). When you push the slightly bowed out doors when they are closed on the upper part of the door, they make a rattle/vibrate sound vs the door right next to them on the same cabinet. Can this be adjusted by the installer or does it require a new door? These are semi-full overlay, framed upper wall cabinets. One cabinet that has the warp/bowing out is 42 inches, the other is 36 inches. Each door has three hinges.

In addition, on one cabinet, the bottom horizontal pieces on the doors are at different heights. They weren't cut evenly at the factory. The left door bottom panel has been cut 1/8" shorter than the same panel on the right door, and when these two doors are leveled properly by the installer it will become even more exaggerated to the eye, since this is the centerpiece cabinet. A ruler/tape measure verifies this as does the eye when you look at it straight on, at an angle, and from a distance.

Another issue I just noticed is that the top portion of the drawer box piece that is attached to the face of the cabinet is beyond rough and "chewed" looking. The same piece on other drawers do not feel like they have been sanded smooth and there is a wide range of color variation in them. On the other hand, in the bathroom vanity cabinet ordered at the same time from the same manufacturer that same piece of wood that is attached to the faceplate is absolutely uniform in color, matches the rest of the drawers and is super smooth. The drawers are soft close, full extension and dovetailed.

Also, when some of the doors close on the soft close part, there is a slight creak. Will this go away in time as the door gets used?

Has anyone ever experienced these flaws before and what are the best courses of action to remedy them? Should I direct all my complaints to the dealer/kitchen designer only, or should I independently contact the manufacturer as well?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Moby99 said:   I just had new mid grade KCMA certified maple wood kitchen cabinets from a major nationwide manufacturer installed last week and I'm noticing a few defects already. First, there is some de-lamination/peeling on the inside top part of one cabinet. I notified the dealer/kitchen designer and a claim was put in. Not sure what that means specifically.

I have noticed with two doors on two different upper cabinets that they appear to be warped, for a lack of a better term, as the top portion of these doors are not flush with the cabinet (they bow out). When you push the slightly bowed out doors when they are closed on the upper part of the door, they make a rattle/vibrate sound vs the door right next to them on the same cabinet. Can this be adjusted by the installer or does it require a new door? These are semi-full overlay, framed upper wall cabinets. One cabinet that has the warp/bowing out is 42 inches, the other is 36 inches. Each door has three hinges.

In addition, on one cabinet, the bottom horizontal pieces on the doors are at different heights. They weren't cut evenly at the factory. The left door bottom panel has been cut 1/8" shorter than the same panel on the right door, and when these two doors are leveled properly by the installer it will become even more exaggerated to the eye, since this is the centerpiece cabinet. A ruler/tape measure verifies this as does the eye when you look at it straight on, at an angle, and from a distance.

Another issue I just noticed is that the top portion of the drawer box piece that is attached to the face of the cabinet is beyond rough and "chewed" looking. The same piece on other drawers do not feel like they have been sanded smooth and there is a wide range of color variation in them. On the other hand, in the bathroom vanity cabinet ordered at the same time from the same manufacturer that same piece of wood that is attached to the faceplate is absolutely uniform in color, matches the rest of the drawers and is super smooth. The drawers are soft close, full extension and dovetailed.

Also, when some of the doors close on the soft close part, there is a slight creak. Will this go away in time as the door gets used?

Has anyone ever experienced these flaws before and what are the best courses of action to remedy them? Should I direct all my complaints to the dealer/kitchen designer only, or should I independently contact the manufacturer as well?
Did you do a walk-through with the contractor and sign off on the work that it was satisfactory and that you accept the product as presented?

The installer hasn't finished the work because the crown moulding and trim pieces are backordered. I informed the kitchen designer/dealer, who put in a claim for the peeling. So the work isn't finished, the order isn't complete and I haven't paid in full.

I've never heard of KCMA but if they certify, then they have their standards which these have to comply with. Check that and you can use the standards to make the installer meet them. Peeling is covered, the specs would cover things like variance between doors, etc. does your contract specify what standards the product and installation will meet?

kitchen witch
Disclaimer
You need a kitchen witch.

(pic hint: felt witch with loop for hanging, broomstick handle: wooden spoon)

I've never seen so much peeling - is that on the maple face? I'd think that part would be wood? The door mismatch looks like a hinge adjustment .. unless I missed the top side.
If this is a major installer / manufacturer I'd think they'd get everything corrected.

Name names!!
Brand
Company (especially if its HD or Lowes)

The manufacturer is Cardell. It's on the inside box.

I have seen many new kitchen cabinent installs may it be of solid maple, oak, etc at different properties with various designs and have never seen peeling on actual cabinents. I'm not an expert on laminated cabinent wood, but if I had to guess, the problem could be a defective lot from the manufacturer (i.e. glue from factory not done right so it's not holding the paper with the wood together).

This is, of course, assuming the contractor did everything right in the first place, which, IMHO, I'm not so sure about with the other problems you listed besides the peeling.

If it were me, I'd let the contractor know every thing that you listed and I'd document every issue with pictures as proof. I'd also get a flashlight and a ladder and re-inspect every nook and cranny of the install, even the back of the cabinents (to make sure they are flushed to the wall nice and tight).

Generally speaking (and it's general!), keep in mind that home remodels are not like fine wine. It doesn't get better with age. So whatever problems you have now (cuz it doesn't feel right you know?), it'll get worst as time goes by.

I just looked at my bathroom cabinet drawers and compared it to the kitchen cabinet drawers and the piece of solid wood that attaches to the back of the face frame on the bathroom cabinet drawer looks like it had a "sticker" applied to it to match the rear solid wood drawer piece as well as the two particle board sides. The entire drawer looks uniform and great. The kitchen drawer cabinets don't have this "sticker" applied to the piece of solid wood that attaches to the face frame and looks unfinished, like a different color, and rough compared to the back piece and sides. It's a definite turnoff. Both bathroom and kitchen cabinets were inspected by the same person. I have no idea how these flaws passed the inspector. Hope all goes well with the Cardell rep I'm supposed to meet with.

I have a meeting with the rep tomorrow and I've been thinking about how he might be overwhelmed with all the flaws I'm going to point out and how replacement parts could end up not matching or having other problems.
What do you think about the following proposal to the cabinet rep and the dealer? I have already paid 60% of the total balance (which consists of the cabinets, install, freight and sales tax) to the dealer. 40% is due upon completion. My proposal is to pay the remaining 40% of freight and install only and then ask that the manufacturer pay the dealer the remaining balance of the actual cabinets. What do you all think of this proposal?

how much we talking about?

$2400

Moby99 said:   I have a meeting with the rep tomorrow and I've been thinking about how he might be overwhelmed with all the flaws I'm going to point out and how replacement parts could end up not matching or having other problems.
What do you think about the following proposal to the cabinet rep and the dealer? I have already paid 60% of the total balance (which consists of the cabinets, install, freight and sales tax) to the dealer. 40% is due upon completion. My proposal is to pay the remaining 40% of freight and install only and then ask that the manufacturer pay the dealer the remaining balance of the actual cabinets. What do you all think of this proposal?

I would demand Cabinets that were right and you pay the balance after reinstall, this is gonna nag at you for years to come.

you need to deliver a registered letter(you have copy too)of replacement cabinets and reinstall of correct Cabinets without flaws.
Asking dealer to pay rest of balance indicates you can live with the flaws and are looking for a discount.

Really nice pictures and appreciative work. I have read your post and found it very helpful for all of us, I would like to say thanks to you for sharing this with all of us. I will try to made these type of cabinets in my kitchen.

Gold Coast Property Management

Cardell Cabinetry is closed. My cabinets now are essentially worthless since there is no warranty and parts probably will no longer be available.

Here are pictures of the drawer box issue. Notice how the smaller bathroom cabinets are perfect, while the ones in the kitchen don't have matching drawer box sides (the front piece is off). I called another showroom today and the person working there told me his Cardell cabinets in the showroom had all the drawer box sides matching and that it's clearly odd why mine aren't matching. I'm not buying the fact that there are variations when my bathroom ones are perfect. The factory rep and dealer claim there are variations. That's not what was promoted or advertised. At this point I am frustrated and confused on what to do because I have not received a response from the company about this issue. The factory rep ordered replacement drawer boxes that had rough fronts but now if the replacement ones are also rough and have crap pieces of wood, how am I going to get a replacement? I don't know whether to keep emailing Cardell or file a claim with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors or get another dealer or independent people in the industry to write a statement that the color not matching is a defect, or show photos/video from a showroom etc? Now that the company is essentially out of business, what leverage or recourse does my dealer or I have with the company?

http://claspics.com/193h1buu/hii2imej/

File with the registrar of contractors, BBB.org, the credit card issuer (in writing, mailed to the special address for billing problems), and Tom Horne's office, and Tweet, Facebook, Yelp, and get one of the TV station consumer reporters to help you.

The contractor is responsible for the poor condition of the cabinets, unless you chose them on your own and later hired the contractor to install them.

THe contractor did what he was supposed to with what he was given. According to the posts, this guy bought the cabs from a designer/dealer and hired someone to install them. The installer should be paid.

Fight this out with the dealer and if he won't have someone independent come to fix it then do a chargeback. If it breaks while you have it, you call the manufacturer. If you didn't get what you ordered, the dealer. I don't understand why you reach out to the manufacturer or bug other dealers.

Last resort just get some veneer and cover it on your own. $15 buys a decent size roll at specialty woodworking places, you'd probabaly have to go there for a good color match.

Who (what type of professional) could install this veneer covering? Here is an up-close comparison of a drawer box front in a kitchen cabinet drawer vs one in the bathroom, both from the same company, Cardell and both inspected by the same inspector.

http://claspics.com/w8cpnby/hmqpnrbp

Have you ordered ready to assemble cabinets from the dealers and got it installed from someone else. The dealer haven't provided you the installation support.
Before making any deal you should have checked the return and claim policy. Next time always make sure to make your deal from trusted and authorized dealers.

I am happy to report that everything got resolved. The manufacturer sent out replacement drawer boxes and amazingly all were made to specs with no flaws. Surely, no quality control in the factory.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014