where to rent a stick shift car

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
I want to learn to drive a stick and see if I like it.

next car might be a stick, but I'd like to know if I like it.

or should I go on lease trader and try to find one? still would be stuck with it for a while.

right now found a 2005 cobalt ss, with a stick that the lease lasts 10 months. still would end up costing 2500 bucks for that period of time.

maybe need to look deeper.

any other ideas?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Maybe asking on craiglist or look in local phone book for small independent rental place. I washed car in one of those rent a wheck place before and they got all kind of cars.

Do you not have any friends/family that own one you could drive around for an afternoon?

My second car was a stick... '79 Camaro Berlinetta looked just like this, except with T-tops. I learned on my own. My friend test drove it for me. My brother drove it home, and the next day I taught myself on my way to school(I was 17.) Problem was, was it was very difficult to get into first gear, so I learn from starting in second. Wasn't easy, but I think it made me a better driver for it. I've own several manual and a few autos in my day. I now drive auto (but I miss having manual.)

There are some questions you should ask yourself.

1. Do you like doing "other things" in the car while driving? That includes eating, putzing with an MP3 player, holding hands with your girlfriend... (Drouo) If so, manual isn't probably for you.

2. Do you often drive in heavy traffic (especially stop and go type traffic)? If often, you might want to reconsider.

3. How coordinated are you? How's your timing? If it isn't so great, you burn through a few transmissions in the process.

4. Do you drive a motorcycle? If so, how do you feel about having to shift?

5. Are there any vehicles that I can afford, that might offer me both auto and manual? (Although this isn't the same as driving a true manual.)Some cars have a "manual" mode, where you can shift- but they don't have clutch. My friends BMW 500 series is like that. Having drove it, it definitely isn't the same as a manual though.

6. Do I have any friends that I can try their car out or learn on?

I loved the control aspect of the manual transmission. I enjoyed letting the engine rev up and the extra boost you get from giving the car "everything." I enjoyed laying down a strip of rubber when I popped the clutch.
I also got A LOT of speeding tickets.

My second car was a 15th anniversary Trans Am and it had a 5 speed. I'd only driven a stick a handful of times before. We even lived on a huuuuge steep hill.

I learned really fast how to drive it. Sort of a "sink or swim" situation.

But to me a car like a Trans Am is sort of a waste with an automatic transmission.

I would hate for my current SUV to be a stick.

edit: MAN! I miss that car!!!!

I don't know what you people are talking about...


My first car was a stick

My second car was a stick

My third and current car is a stick.


They take a week or two to learn, but once you've learned you can drive any stick shift on the road with almost no effort. Heavy traffic is not difficult, nor does it require an absurd amount of coordination. You get better gas mileage than an auto (CVT gets better than stick or auto), and - most importantly - you have a level of awareness and control that you don't get in an automatic.


Mike, buy an old clunker with a slushy clutch for a coupla hundred dollars. By the time you've learned on it, any other stick shift in the world will be so easy you won't notice that you're doing it.

Jstkiddn said:

edit: MAN! I miss that car!!!!
I hear ya!

soundtechie said: I don't know what you people are talking about...


My first car was a stick

My second car was a stick

My third and current car is a stick.


They take a week or two to learn, but once you've learned you can drive any stick shift on the road with almost no effort. Heavy traffic is not difficult, nor does it require an absurd amount of coordination. You get better gas mileage than an auto (CVT gets better than stick or auto), and - most importantly - you have a level of awareness and control that you don't get in an automatic.


Mike, buy an old clunker with a slushy clutch for a coupla hundred dollars. By the time you've learned on it, any other stick shift in the world will be so easy you won't notice that you're doing it.
First off, what you may find easy isn't so for everyone. I've know plenty of people that should never own a manual. Second, it isn't that you can't do those things, but it can be cumbersome and annoying to drive heavy traffic during rush hour or to try and eat a burger while shifting. And finally, these days with newer autos, the manual/auto mileage issue is not really relevant. For a normal driver in a newer model car, they will see little if any difference in fuel usage.

Also, wasting money a beater, that he will end up trying to sell? Sounds like a lot of wasted time, effort and money.

Haha!! Again, with the improper spelling of my name!

Just get it and learn as you go. That's what I did with my trans am. Manual's are a ton of fun! I couldn't tell if I liked it by just test driving, but once it becomes second nature it's a lot of fun.

Forget it- I'd never want to drive a stick. Winter? Controlling the radio?

SOoooooooooooooo many things you can do when you have an automatic.


Do we need to link that thread about the nude dude with the petroleum jelly?

Drouo said: Do we need to link that thread about the nude dude with the petroleum jelly?

Link

eating in car... very rare. in fact, when I got my car, I didnt eat in it for the first 4 years.

traffic, my commute right now is less then 4 miles. consits of 4 stops, and 2 lights.

doubt thats going to change anytime soon.

as for the radio... I only use presets on the radio. and havnt yet hooked up an mp3 player. Streeting wheel controls are nice!. also dont belive in talking on the phone while driving. i've done it a few times, and hate it.


some of the cars i'm looking at getting come in both auto's and sticks.

some dont. ie. one car on my list is the mazdaspeed3, stick only. suburau wrx, I think it comes in an auto, but if i'm goign that way, whats the point of getting the performace model, might as well just get the standard. vw gti... i'd get it in a dsg, so thats kind of a mute point.


I thought about getting a cheap car off craiglist. if something comes around i might do it. if the price is right, (i.e. CHEAP). Cheap enough i could throw it out, if it did not sell quick. but then again, i would hate to be stuck with a cheap car that doesn't want to move anymore.


The reason i dont want to 'just get it'... is i tend to own cars for the long haul. i.e. 10 years or until most major repairs would cost more then the car. my current cars not their yet. (about 2 more years but I want to be able to get a car on my terms not, crap my car broke down into a pile, what am i going to do now).

and I dont want to be stuck with a stick, thinking ughhh this sucks, even though i'm sure i can learn how to drive it.

Drouo said: Haha!! Again, with the improper spelling of my name! Fixed...

I had a friend of mine who used to work in a rent a car place and hated when dumb asses like you want to learn how to drive stick on a rental. Thats why you can almost never find a stick shift in the US maybe in Europe.
Get a life.
Learn to drive on your dads Mavrick...

I have one of each but learned how to drive on a stick using my brothers car. Someone mentioned borrowing a friends- good idea, or look for a driving school that teaches stick and give it a try that way.

It amazes me that there are people out there who can't drive a manual transmission.

i dont know how you can be amazed.

whats the sales ratio for stick to auto cars in america? like 6:1 overall? maybe even higher in cars.

the number of people that know how to drive sticks is on the way down. and even worldwide, cars now come with auto's more then sticks.


as for the dumb comment.

phhhff, whats a rental for? stick or not, people always beat them.

michal1980 said: i dont know how you can be amazed.

whats the sales ratio for stick to auto cars in america? like 6:1 overall? maybe even higher in cars.

the number of people that know how to drive sticks is on the way down. and even worldwide, cars now come with auto's more then sticks.


as for the dumb comment.

phhhff, whats a rental for? stick or not, people always beat them.


I think the ratio is about 1 out of every 10 cars sold is a stick.

Sticks aren't that difficult to learn for most people. If you have any sense of coordination you'll be fine. Around town I don't care for them, just not enough time to enjoy them. Once on the road, either freeways or twisties, they're fun. Me likes.

michal1980 said: i dont know how you can be amazed.

whats the sales ratio for stick to auto cars in america? like 6:1 overall? maybe even higher in cars.

the number of people that know how to drive sticks is on the way down. and even worldwide, cars now come with auto's more then sticks.


as for the dumb comment.

phhhff, whats a rental for? stick or not, people always beat them.
I understand the comment. Not that everyone owns them, but most people should be able to drive them, just in case. Female friends have told me (and these are sane, rational women) that they are unimpressed with guys that can't drive a manual (yes, I know that sounds silly, and a double standard.)

I guess I'm just a car enthusiast, so for me it seems natural to drive a manual tranny- it gives you a different feeling for the car and lets you squeeze every drop of performance out of it.

Of course, it also takes a little finesse and coordination, so I can see why some wouldn't want to learn or may even feel intimidated.

I love stick shifts - that's all I've owned, since getting my Grampa's old Beetle. Thankfully I learned to drive in Mom's automatic and then learned the shifting afterward. It's really effortless once you're used to it, even for a complete klutz like me.

I had fun learning to drive the stick shift. I drove it around in our driveway several times until I could keep it going without lurching and stalling. Then, I drove it down to a nearby parking lot one deserted Sunday morning. Practiced and practiced 'til I thought I was so smooth.

Then I tried to leave. The parking lot exits both had a short hill leading up to the stop sign. Even though there was no traffic, I stopped like a good little girl. Tried to proceed from a stop on the hill unsuccessfully, and had to roll back down the hill and try again.

Repeat about 17 times.

When I finally got out of there, I drove a few feet down the road, and noticed a police officer parked watching the road at a neighboring business. He was trying very unsuccessfully not to laugh at me. How embarassing. At least there was someone there to rescue me if I had never been able to get out of the parking lot.

Buy a cheap manual Honda Civic.

michal1980 said: i dont know how you can be amazed.

whats the sales ratio for stick to auto cars in america? like 6:1 overall? maybe even higher in cars.

the number of people that know how to drive sticks is on the way down. and even worldwide, cars now come with auto's more then sticks.


Actually a few automakers are going to drop all the manual transmissions for all their US cars. I think the ratio is higher then 6:1 for automatics in the US (opposite in Europe though).

Manual transmissions finally on the way out?

For many years, the US and European markets have been mirror images when it comes to transmission choices. Both markets have been split roughly 90/10 percent with the American market favoring automatics and the Europeans (and most of the rest of the world) preferring to shift for themselves. Overseas drivers have gone for manuals for the increased efficiency at least in part because of the much higher gas prices there.

Now with the proliferation of advanced power-trains, particularly hybrids, getting them to operate smoothly with a stick-shift is getting problematic. As a result, many of these cars are only available with automatics or CVTs that can be programmed to manage the shifts to work effectively with the rest of the power-train. The other main driving force is increased congestion in urban areas, that can make rowing a gearbox a rather unpleasant experience.

As the world migrates to primarily electrically driven vehicles like the Chevy Volt and Ford HySeries Edge, that will drive the final nail in the coffin of the shift-it-yourself gearbox. Electric motors offer essentially a flat torque curve from zero rpm up to their maximum speed. Electric vehicles generally have a single or two speed transmission, plus a reverse gear, because that is all they need.

ruhroh said: Buy a cheap manual Honda Civic.But then he'll have it forever. Those things will be around when only cockroaches and Dick Clark are roaming the planet...

Where to rent a manual car? Try Europe!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

When I was in France 10 years ago, the majority of the rentals were manual. If you requested an automatic, sometimes you had to wait for them to become available.

You could "buy" a manual new car and return it within the grace period to change your mine. Hey this is Fatwallet, isn't it???

boober said: ruhroh said: Buy a cheap manual Honda Civic.But then he'll have it forever. Those things will be around when only cockroaches and Dick Clark are roaming the planet...

Too true...ours is a 1996 with nearly 240,000 original miles on it.
I told dh he shouldn't have babied it so much.

Find a used car for sale & ask for a test drive. You can practice on it.

ruhroh said: boober said: ruhroh said: Buy a cheap manual Honda Civic.But then he'll have it forever. Those things will be around when only cockroaches and Dick Clark are roaming the planet...

Too true...ours is a 1996 with nearly 240,000 original miles on it.
I told dh he shouldn't have babied it so much.
Like my Dad always said, treat a car like you'd treat a woman, ride her hard and get rid of her when things start going bad...





Kidding, just kidding....

hooked said: Where to rent a manual car? Try Europe!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

When I was in France 10 years ago, the majority of the rentals were manual. If you requested an automatic, sometimes you had to wait for them to become available.

You could "buy" a manual new car and return it within the grace period to change your mine. Hey this is Fatwallet, isn't it???


i googled before i asked, all the big chains rent sticks.

but only in europe. lol it was kind of cool to see hertz.uk and etc show up.


i'll look in the local yellow pages maybe someone has one i can rent. craiglist is always their, but i'd hate to have another car to worry about.

It depends on your ability. There are a lot of automatic drivers on here or inept stick drivers spewing all sorts of untruth here.

I've driven a stick for years. Quite frankly traffic doesn't matter. Once you start driving one you never even think about it. There are some people who aren't in shape or lack motivation or don't like the extra work which is why it seems difficult to them in the traffic and they complain. But I know I don't even think about it. I have one automatic and 2 manual cars and don't even notice the difference because it is so natural once you start driving it.

As for the other things, I've been known to talk on the phone, eat, and change the radio at the same time. I guess it just depends on the person. Like I said, for people who drive manuals everday they understand that they can do anything someone in an automatic can do.

People who drive automatics often times make excuses about manuals that aren't true because of fear of learning to drive one. I know many people who never drove one and make up all sorts of stuff. Don't listen, try it out and you will see.

My old boss always droved a stick and that's how he learned to drive with his knees. Sometimes while driving, his phone rings and he has to answer it with his left hand. Well, his right hand would be shifting and that just leaves his knees to keep the steering wheel straight while the car accelerated. It scared the bejesus out of me.

Here's a little problem that you might encounter when you go to buy a NEW car with a manual transmission - the dealer may not have one for you to test drive.

This happened to me when I bought my car in 2003. I definitely wanted a manual transmission and was looking at several different makes of cars. One of the cars that I wanted to test drive was a Toyota Camry. They didn't have one with a manual transmission. Oh, they would get me one to buy, but I wasn't going to buy a model that I had not test driven. The dealer did not have a single manual Camry on the lot (this was no small dealer). He said "no one wants a manual transmission these days". Well, the Mazda, Honda, Nissan, BMW, and VW dealers all had manuals for me to test drive in the models I was interested in.

discusbabe said: It amazes me that there are people out there who can't drive a manual transmission.

Have you ever watched The Amazing Race? Every year so many of the contestants struggle with the stick shift cars they are inevitably provided with over in some foreign country. Cracks me up because after so many seasons you would think these people would be smart enough to know they are going to get one sooner or later and would actually learn to drive a stick before the race starts.

I learnt to drive on a stick and drove one for about 12 yrs before switching to automatic. 4 yrs of automatic and now back to a stick.

Bought my new manual sentra se-r back in '92 for a good price, didn't even really know how to drive it home, and I live on a mountain(!). Still got it today on the original clutch with nearly 200k.

Every able-bodied driver should be able to drive a stick. Much like everyone who uses a calculator should be able to do math longhand (sadly many can't).

I speculate that our roads would be safer if everyone learned drive in a stick. Drive an auto afterwards if you want, but learn in a stick (do the longhand math before you get a calculator). A manual car forces you think more about what the car is doing and have a better understanding of what the car can, and cannot, do.

Driving a car is not the time or place to "eat a burger" or "make phone calls" or "fiddle with your MP3 player" - if you want do those while travelling you should take the train.

Good for you OP. I hope it goes well. Find a patient person to teach you.

I remember when automatic was really automatic. Now they have like 6 or more gears.

ganda said: Every able-bodied driver should be able to drive a stick. Much like everyone who uses a calculator should be able to do math longhand (sadly many can't).

I speculate that our roads would be safer if everyone learned drive in a stick. Drive an auto afterwards if you want, but learn in a stick (do the longhand math before you get a calculator). A manual car forces you think more about what the car is doing and have a better understanding of what the car can, and cannot, do.

Driving a car is not the time or place to "eat a burger" or "make phone calls" or "fiddle with your MP3 player" - if you want do those while travelling you should take the train.

Good for you OP. I hope it goes well. Find a patient person to teach you.
I'm guessing you never worked out of your car...

Skipping 9 Messages...
timothy86 said: It depends on your ability. There are a lot of automatic drivers on here or inept stick drivers spewing all sorts of untruth here.

I've driven a stick for years. Quite frankly traffic doesn't matter. Once you start driving one you never even think about it. There are some people who aren't in shape or lack motivation or don't like the extra work which is why it seems difficult to them in the traffic and they complain. But I know I don't even think about it. I have one automatic and 2 manual cars and don't even notice the difference because it is so natural once you start driving it.

As for the other things, I've been known to talk on the phone, eat, and change the radio at the same time. I guess it just depends on the person. Like I said, for people who drive manuals everday they understand that they can do anything someone in an automatic can do.

People who drive automatics often times make excuses about manuals that aren't true because of fear of learning to drive one. I know many people who never drove one and make up all sorts of stuff. Don't listen, try it out and you will see.


Maybe you can drive a stick shift car while driving in traffic perfectly fine, but given the rather poor driving abilities I see from a lot of drivers, I'm glad that shifting is one less thing that most of them have to do.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014