Expired Meals..Nutrisystem

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I just came across a hundred or so Nutrisystem meals that expired in may 2007...(housecleaner friend)
is it worth the risk?..anybody really know?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
Just make sure your close to a toilet and have a stomach pump handy.But other than that Bon Appetit.

I guess I needed a reality check..I was thinkin I could nuke em for 20 minutes.

How did the world ever survive 30-40 years ago before food items were stamped with expiration dates? People must have got sick and died in droves. How could anyone have called those the good ol' days?

I guess ..Thank God we were not here..Botulism has many friends........................

But I'm thinkin of nukin these bastards..and still not quite sure..not that desperate but some good sounding meals.

nanosoft said: But I'm thinkin of nukin these bastards..and still not quite sure..not that desperate but some good sounding meals.

Ok, I'l bite. If these meals have been frozen the entire time since purchase, go for it.

That said: microwaving expired food does *not* make it safe. It is usually not the microbe growing in the food that make you sick, but rather the toxins they exude. When you microwave the food, the mold/bacteria may die, but the toxins (being just chemicals) remain dangerous.

On the plus side it would work great for weight loss with all the puking and crapping you will do if it is bad. But I'm sure it's fine to eat.

i'm not one to eat expired foods, but many of the dollar stores sell expired foods. is it a "best by" date or "eat by" date?

nanosoft said: I just came across a hundred or so Nutrisystem meals that expired in may 2007...(housecleaner friend)
is it worth the risk?..anybody really know?

These are freeze dried. I was on and off Nutrisystem for a few months. The food goes bad real quick. The entres started to get a moldy looking film on the top of them. I ate one anyways and it didn't make me sick, but the taste was off.

I think we need more details. Any idea how old it is?

Just stick to MRE's,10 year shelf life,no cooking needed.

zzyzzx said: I think we need more details. Any idea how old it is?
on the box it says..best if used by: May 2007 5300A
they are kind of liquidy in a microwave safe thingy.
this is off topic and not trying to make anything out of it.
but if you don't hear from me..than you know why.
was kind of wondering if anyone here knew how long I had to live.
Bottom line..they look to good to throw away...any input helps..thx

That stuff wasn't edible in the first place. How would expiration date matter?

Q. How long does canned food remain edible and retain its nutritional content after it is purchased?

A. Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75 Fahrenheit and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, it is edible. Rust or dents do not affect the contents of the can as long as the can does not leak. If the can is leaking, however, or if the ends are bulged, the food should not be used.

Me stay fresh long time

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014