Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Have you done this?
Was it it worth it?
What was the outcome?

Just asking...

Also, if you want to PM the answers to me that's ok.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
W

All I can offer you is perhaps a lame joke, and I get the feeling you want more than that. Hopefully someone knows more than I do. You might also check some legal forums. G/L.

Got the legal stuff covered--jokes are always welcome.

I can tell you what I did when they tried to commit me? I am still a free man, so it worked.

I have no advice, but (((HUGS)))

the only thing I can think of is if he/she IS mentally incompetent, they won't know that you did it.

shopliftinginva said: I have no advice, but (((HUGS)))

the only thing I can think of is if he/she IS mentally incompetent, they won't know that you did it.

If only that were true.

a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

Corganiacs said: a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

Yes, we've got that covered. Thanks.

ruhroh said: Corganiacs said: a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

Yes, we've got that covered. Thanks.
sorry. I forgot to answer your questions

ruhroh said: Declaring someone mentally incompetent
Have you done this?

On a daily basis

Was it it worth it?

Shit yeah! People need to know they're dropping the ball and not carrying their weight...

What was the outcome?

Lights a fire under people's asses...

Just asking...

Just answering...

I can say it on here, everyone knows I'm an asshole already...

chocula said: I can tell you what I did when they tried to commit me? I am still a free man, so it worked.
I was committed by a judge for 30 days, After 3 days the doctors removed the commitment order. So at least I can say I am "Certified OK"

If you quit eating poop they will stop trying

Alright, roh...I'll turn myself in

This is a very difficult situation but one that MUST be handled or it will cause no end of problems. A good friend of mine (and her family) had to do this to her grandfather. He was not keeping up with bills and payments, and started telling aides at his assisted living facility he was going to add them to his will. It was a tough process for them--easy to actually DO it (they just took him, a statement from the assisted living center and verification of the things he was doing/not doing to his doctor), but the ramifications can be much more difficult. They got a power of attorney for my friend's mother, so she could handle the financial affairs, and she was designated medical contact at the doctor's office. The grandfather took a while to come around to it--he was mad at first but later admitted life was a lot easier for him without having to worry about everything.

Mental acuity DOES decline in later years, and there is a pattern of behaviors that a lot of elderly people follow that have to be combated (forgetfulness, easy to sway, stubbornness, etc.). The hard part is keeping the goodwill of the person you are doing it to, but if you sit down and explain you are not taking their freedoms away but rather helping them by removing some of the obligations so they can better enjoy life, it can help.

Corganiacs said: a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

Uh, no. A doctor can't declare a person incompetent. Only the court can do that.

ruhroh said: Got the legal stuff covered--jokes are always welcome.The lame joke had something to do with that nasty little dog of mine...she needs to be committed!

my mom did it to my grandmother who had dementia and schizophrenia. it was better off because several times my grandmom came close to dying, like jumping out the window because God told her too. my mom and aunt put her in a nursing home in a special wing so she couldn't roam and something happen, they both agreed it was best than her being alone in her apartment in another town. the did have remorse sometimes, but sense told them they did right.

wish for you ruhroh some peace and resolution.

moonbeam said: Corganiacs said: a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

Uh, no. A doctor can't declare a person incompetent. Only the court can do that.

You have to have the declaration from the doctor. At least that is what happened with my friend's family.

moonbeam said: Corganiacs said: a primary care doctor can declare a patient incompetent. you don't need a psychiatrist to do that...

um yeah they can.

I declare people mentally incompetent all the time. My fiancee hates riding in the car with me because of it....

Thanks.

Anyone who visits OT more than once daily....certifiable.

Dad signed the paperwork and Mom indicated she is ready to do it ASAP (she needs to be evaluated first). She's had 4 'good' days so I think if nothing rocks her boat again it may happen.

That should save us some $$ and aggravation.

ruhroh said: Dad signed the paperwork and Mom indicated she is ready to do it ASAP (she needs to be evaluated first). She's had 4 'good' days so I think if nothing rocks her boat again it may happen.

That should save us some $$ and aggravation.
You gotta do what you gotta do...backed up by lots of prayer from the FW community of course!

I'm sure this is a very tough decision. You are wise and you have her best interests in mind, do what you feel is the right thing to do.

ruhroh said: Have you done this?
Was it it worth it?
What was the outcome?

Just asking...

Yes, to myself. worth it. I became more incompetent.

It requires the word of two regular MDs and a Psych, three doctors total.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014