• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
rated:
My daughter is sick with fever and it's been hovering around 101.5. Anyhow, I bought some pedialite to give her because I read somewhere that it is better to give that to a baby than plain water (electrolytes or whatever). I talked to friend that is a nurse and she said as long as she eats and drinks and the fever doesn't go over 104 she's ok and doesn't need to go to the hospital or doctor. So I got her to eat some oatmeal twice today and she had 2 bottles, that's it. That doesn't seem like enough food or drink. She's been sleeping now for about 4 hours after I gave her a tepid bath and some tylenol. Should I wake her up and make her drink the pedialyte?

Also, is it ok to give her chicken broth (made from those little cubes)? That's pretty much all that I ate when I was sick last week. She doesn't want to eat her baby food and I figured giving her too much oatmeal would stop her up. I wasn't sure if the salt in chicken broth was too much. What do you feed a sick 1 year old?

And no, I no longer breastfeed, she drinks formula and not cows milk.

I figure people here have kids and can answer this and I don't want to call the nurses line to ask them about food.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
I remember making weak tea and giving it to my son at room temp or a bit warm, formula (but he frequently would throw that up if his temp was high), pedialyte, gatorade, watered down juice.

I wouldn't worry about the eating as much as the drinking.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

shopliftinginva said: I remember making weak tea and giving it to my son at room temp or a bit warm, formula (but he frequently would throw that up if his temp was high), pedialyte, gatorade, watered down juice.

I wouldn't worry about the eating as much as the drinking.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

What kind of tea? I think all I have is black tea. Did you wake him up to drink every so many hours? She has only been awake about 4 hours total today. Also, is the broth ok instead of food?

TxAggieJen said: And no, I no longer breastfeed, she drinks formula and not cows milk.

Damn topic alerts!

pedialite mixed with apple juice was what we did...

Pedialyte also makes popsickles, don't they?
Gatorade, too. Jello if she'll try it. Mine always preferred popsickles, wouldn't eat much when they had a fever (that's ok). Feed a soft egg for protein if she's up for it.

ruhroh said: Pedialyte also makes popsickles, don't they?
Gatorade, too. Jello if she'll try it. Mine always preferred popsickles, wouldn't eat much when they had a fever (that's ok). Feed a soft egg for protein if she's up for it.

Yes, we bought some of the popsicles too. We can't eat gelatin so can't do Jello. I'll try the egg instead of oatmeal in the morning.

at least you were able to get her to eat something...that's a good sign. i would try what roh suggested. eggs and maybe some dry cereal like cherrios or something similar. have you tried applesauce or bananas?

kelchild said: at least you were able to get her to eat something...that's a good sign. i would try what roh suggested. eggs and maybe some dry cereal like cherrios or something similar. have you tried applesauce or bananas?

She has baby food bananas with strawberries, which she usually loves, and she refused to open her mouth. She swatted at the spoon. Offered her some noodles earlier today for her to pick up and eat and she just sat there looking at them, usually she would stuff her face with anything we put on her tray. She really just doesn't feel good.

We had to really coax her to take her bottle this evening. She kept pushing it away. She absolutely didn't want to take it from me, she wanted daddy. Daddy stays home with her while I work so she prefers him right now.

TxAggieJen said: My daughter is sick with fever and it's been hovering around 101.5. Anyhow, I bought some pedialite to give her because I read somewhere that it is better to give that to a baby than plain water (electrolytes or whatever). I talked to friend that is a nurse and she said as long as she eats and drinks and the fever doesn't go over 104 she's ok and doesn't need to go to the hospital or doctor.

OMG! I can't believe a nurse would have said something like that...

a one year old w/ a fever of 101.5 consistently is a sign that she's SICK! How long has she been running fever? If you give her Tylenol or Ibuprofen does her fever go down? Does she have any other symptoms? I have to assume that your friend asked you these same questions...

If she has diarrhea, then you want to be careful with anything that has a high sugar content ( pop, koolaid, JUICE, etc.)as it can cause the diarrhea to become worse. Any type of weak tea is good, 1/2 juice and 1/2 pedialyte, 1/2 sports drink and 1/2 water, 1/2 water and 1/2 juice--really as long as she's taking in fluids and keeping them down, and not having excessive diarrhea then just about any drink in moderation is ok. The broth is good, but I would make it half strength or use the low sodium variety.

If she's ran this fever for more than 72 hours (with no other symptoms) or 48 hours (with other symptoms) I would suggest calling her pediatrician. If the fever doesn't come down after giving her tylenol or ibuprofen, or if she develops any new symptoms then I would definitely recommend talking to her pediatrician.

Little bodies compensate for illness very well, but when they can no longer compensate they become very sick very fast.

TxAggieJen said: kelchild said: at least you were able to get her to eat something...that's a good sign. i would try what roh suggested. eggs and maybe some dry cereal like cherrios or something similar. have you tried applesauce or bananas?

She has baby food bananas with strawberries, which she usually loves, and she refused to open her mouth. She swatted at the spoon. Offered her some noodles earlier today for her to pick up and eat and she just sat there looking at them, usually she would stuff her face with anything we put on her tray. She really just doesn't feel good.

We had to really coax her to take her bottle this evening. She kept pushing it away. She absolutely didn't want to take it from me, she wanted daddy. Daddy stays home with her while I work so she prefers him right now.

i wouldn't worry too much yet. when we are sick, we don't feel like eating...that's probably why she's pushing her food away. more than likely, she'll eat when she's feeling up to it, just keep an eye on her temp..the higher it goes, the more uncomfortable she's going to feel. if you can at least get her to take liquids, that's a good thing. is she not wanting to drink any juice or water at all? have you tried giving her a sippie cup?

MarilynKay said: TxAggieJen said: My daughter is sick with fever and it's been hovering around 101.5. Anyhow, I bought some pedialite to give her because I read somewhere that it is better to give that to a baby than plain water (electrolytes or whatever). I talked to friend that is a nurse and she said as long as she eats and drinks and the fever doesn't go over 104 she's ok and doesn't need to go to the hospital or doctor.

a one year old w/ a fever of 101.5 consistently is a sign that she's SICK! How long has she been running fever? If you give her Tylenol or Ibuprofen does her fever go down? Does she have any other symptoms? I have to assume that your friend asked you these same questions...

If she has diarrhea, then you want to be careful with anything that has a high sugar content ( pop, koolaid, JUICE, etc.)as it can cause the diarrhea to become worse. Any type of weak tea is good, 1/2 juice and 1/2 pedialyte, 1/2 sports drink and 1/2 water, 1/2 water and 1/2 juice--really as long as she's taking in fluids and keeping them down, and not having excessive diarrhea then just about any drink in moderation is ok. The broth is good, but I would make it half strength or use the low sodium variety.

If she's ran this fever for more than 72 hours (with no other symptoms) or 48 hours (with other symptoms) I would suggest calling her pediatrician. If the fever doesn't come down after giving her tylenol or ibuprofen, or if she develops any new symptoms then I would definitely recommend talking to her pediatrician.

Little bodies compensate for illness very well, but when they can no longer compensate they become very sick very fast.

She's only been sick since last night. Only other symptom is a little runny nose, no diarrhea. The fever got up to 102.5 last night and this morning her temp was back to normal. Then around 4 pm her fever came back, it was 102.8. I immediately gave her the tepid bath and it dropped to 100. She doesn't feel too hot to the touch right now, and she's still sleeping.

Nobody has mentioned if I should wake her up to drink?

has she had the fever for more than 2 or 3 days?

TxAggieJen said: MarilynKay said: TxAggieJen said: My daughter is sick with fever and it's been hovering around 101.5. Anyhow, I bought some pedialite to give her because I read somewhere that it is better to give that to a baby than plain water (electrolytes or whatever). I talked to friend that is a nurse and she said as long as she eats and drinks and the fever doesn't go over 104 she's ok and doesn't need to go to the hospital or doctor.

She's only been sick since last night. Only other symptom is a little runny nose, no diarrhea. The fever got up to 102.5 last night and this morning her temp was back to normal. Then around 4 pm her fever came back, it was 102.8. I immediately gave her the tepid bath and it dropped to 100. She doesn't feel too hot to the touch right now, and she's still sleeping.

Nobody has mentioned if I should wake her up to drink?

when was the last time she had a drink?

I think she'll wake up when she's either thirsty, hungry or her fever creeps back up. I'd let her sleep. How much fluid was in the two bottles she took today?

kelchild said:

i wouldn't worry too much yet. when we are sick, we don't feel like eating...that's probably why she's pushing her food away. more than likely, she'll eat when she's feeling up to it, just keep an eye on her temp..the higher it goes, the more uncomfortable she's going to feel. if you can at least get her to take liquids, that's a good thing. is she not wanting to drink any juice or water at all? have you tried giving her a sippie cup?

I didn't try the sippy cup today because normally she gets stressed out about the cup. She still prefers the bottle and throws the cup on the floor or at one of us. lol I just got the pedialite this evening and haven't had a chance to give it to her yet. I figured earlier that it was more important to get the formula this afternoon into her than to offer her juice, since she wouldn't eat and needed the nutrients. Hell, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

TxAggieJen said: Nobody has mentioned if I should wake her up to drink

Nope, I'd let her sleep--usually that's the best thing.

Is she teething??? My boys ran pretty good fevers when they teethed, had a runny nose, and wouldn't eat.

kelchild said:

when was the last time she had a drink?

5 pm.

TxAggieJen said: kelchild said:

I didn't try the sippy cup today because normally she gets stressed out about the cup. She still prefers the bottle and throws the cup on the floor or at one of us. lol I just got the pedialite this evening and haven't had a chance to give it to her yet. I figured earlier that it was more important to get the formula this afternoon into her than to offer her juice, since she wouldn't eat and needed the nutrients. Hell, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

I would take her in to be seen at the doctor's tomorrow if she's still not eating or drinking much. Fevers frequently go away during the day and spike in the late afternoon. A sign of sniffles could be an indication of an ear infection. All those parts are connected, and 102+ temps are normal with ear infections.

Don't stress, they don't come with directions.

shopliftinginva said: I think she'll wake up when she's either thirsty, hungry or her fever creeps back up. I'd let her sleep. How much fluid was in the two bottles she took today?

She's only had two 8-ounce bottles of formula today and 2 small bowls of apple and cinnamon oatmeal - it was the only food she didn't refuse.

MarilynKay said:

Is she teething??? My boys ran pretty good fevers when they teethed, had a runny nose, and wouldn't eat.

She just got 2 bottom molars in a few days ago. She has a total of 10 teeth now.

TxAggieJen said: shopliftinginva said: I think she'll wake up when she's either thirsty, hungry or her fever creeps back up. I'd let her sleep. How much fluid was in the two bottles she took today?

She's only had two 8-ounce bottles of formula today and 2 small bowls of apple and cinnamon oatmeal - it was the only food she didn't refuse.
there's liquid in the oatmeal too. She'll let you know when she's uncomfortable and needs something.

Has she had wet diapers today?

is she your first baby? having kids is so stressful....must be why we go gray. LOL

TxAggieJen said: Hell, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

oh that's always going to be the way it is. If it makes you feel any better--I blew off my 8 y/o stomach ache for 3 days. Then Thanksgiving morning he was in excruciating pain. We took him to the ER and it was KIDNEY STONES. Talk about feeling like a bad mother who didn't know what she was doing....

shopliftinginva said: TxAggieJen said: shopliftinginva said: I think she'll wake up when she's either thirsty, hungry or her fever creeps back up. I'd let her sleep. How much fluid was in the two bottles she took today?

there's liquid in the oatmeal too. She'll let you know when she's uncomfortable and needs something.

Has she had wet diapers today?

She had 2 wet diapers, and not soaking wet like usual, just a small amount. 2 normal bowel movements also.

shopliftinginva said:
I would take her in to be seen at the doctor's tomorrow if she's still not eating or drinking much. Fevers frequently go away during the day and spike in the late afternoon. A sign of sniffles could be an indication of an ear infection. All those parts are connected, and 102+ temps are normal with ear infections.

Don't stress, they don't come with directions.

Yes, this is true. I've often seen this with mine who had ear infections at this age.

Also, the up and down temps are par for the course with the little ones. I think your nursing friend was spot on. Even if she does have an ear infection, an antibiotic isn't always the best treatment (although it is usually given).

kelchild said: is she your first baby? having kids is so stressful....must be why we go gray. LOL

Yes, she's our first. I wanted to take her to the hospital with the 102 degree fever but hubby said I was overreacting so we didn't go.

Have something ready to get into her when she wakes up, and see how she is in the morning. I'd take her in to be checked if she's still not taking in fluids well tomorrow (but I spent most of my son's first year at the doctor's office. In my defense, he constantly had ear infections and was colicky)

MarilynKay said: TxAggieJen said: Hell, sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

oh that's always going to be the way it is. If it makes you feel any better--I blew off my 8 y/o stomach ache for 3 days. Then Thanksgiving morning he was in excruciating pain. We took him to the ER and it was KIDNEY STONES. Talk about feeling like a bad mother who didn't know what she was doing....

Or the time I made mine ride her bike to school, only to discover later on the doctor's clinic she had double pneumonia. Talk about feeling guilty.

TxAggieJen said: kelchild said: is she your first baby? having kids is so stressful....must be why we go gray. LOL

Yes, she's our first. I wanted to take her to the hospital with the 102 degree fever but hubby said I was overreacting so we didn't go.

Does your pediatrician not have off hour care? Ours is open 364 days a year (not Xmas) and has hours until 10:00 every night (including Sundays). It's been a lifesaver for us.

ruhroh said:

Yes, this is true. I've often seen this with mine who had ear infections at this age.

Also, the up and down temps are par for the course with the little ones. I think your nursing friend was spot on. Even if she does have an ear infection, an antibiotic isn't always the best treatment (although it is usually given).

She just went to the chiropractor/natural medicine doc last Friday and they said her ears were good, no sign of infection. I'm a little leary of taking her to a regular doctor because they always immediately jump to antibiotics.

As a matter of fact I went to the regular doctor myself last week because I had this fever stuff for 3 days. They did a strep culture which came back as normal and then they gave me a script for antibiotics and told me it was probably a virus. Wtf?! I didn't fill the script.

TxAggieJen said:

And really for her age 102 isn't that bad. I'd do everything possible to keep her away from the nasty illnesses in an ER, those can be more damaging.

ruhroh said: TxAggieJen said:

And really for her age 102 isn't that bad. I'd do everything possible to keep her away from the nasty illnesses in an ER, those can be more damaging.

Yes, that is true. I was just panicked because her temp was so high and she was crying and crying and I didn't know what to do. Thank goodness my husband doesn't freak out like I do.

shopliftinginva said: Have something ready to get into her when she wakes up, and see how she is in the morning. I'd take her in to be checked if she's still not taking in fluids well tomorrow (but I spent most of my son's first year at the doctor's office. In my defense, he constantly had ear infections and was colicky)

gosh, my son had ear infection the whole first year of his life. luckily, when he stopped teething, the ear infections stopped. not fun.....

Don't worry yourself too much. She needs the sleep more than the fluid right now. You said she has had some formula today. Call her Dr. in the morning. You might have a long night, have a bottle of the pedi. available and a bottle of formula.

edit: Call the reg. Pedi. Dr.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am gonna go check on her again and then try to get some sleep myself.

I know this isn't going to help now but I purchased an ear infection tester for my little one and it has been wonderful.
Got it at buy dot com but other places has it too.
EarCheck Middle Ear Monitor EC-1
I usually let my daughter play/chew on a nearly frozen wet wash cloth when she runs a fever.
She likes it and it does seem to help a little bit.

Why hesitate to call nurse hotline? They are there to answer questions!
I would be concerned about dehydration.

A person running a high temp and is sick is a good sign - that means that the body is working at killing off the germs. Sometimes it's better to let the body run the temperature for a day or two and let it do what it's trying to do - kill off the bad germs.

Even though as a parent it's hard to see our child not eat, going without food for a day or two is okay, as long as they are drinking fluids. Any fluid is okay as long as it stays down, if they are throwing up, then anything with a bit of sugar in it will help calm the stomach (smaller sips better than gulps).

As far as food goes, whenever my kids are sick with whatever it is, the BRAT diet seems to work the best (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). I make homemade rice pudding as the kids main "sick" food, they'll even ask me if I'm making it for them.

(((HUGS))) to Jen and her little one - I know how tough it is to see your baby sick!

Well she woke up at midnight and drank some pedialyte and went back to bed. This morning the fever is gone again and she's eating normally. She's going to the doctor at 4 pm though to get checked out. I hope the fever doesn't return again!

Skipping 7 Messages...
And make sure any liquids you give someone with a fever are room temperature. I have the world's best throw up story due to drinking ice cold coke on a bad stomach. I almost puked on a chic I had the hots for.

My one daughter has sensory issues and was jumping on the mini-trampoline with a 103 degree fever. The doctor heard her in the background and didn't believe us so he had us take her in. She was sick. Really? You don't say.

A cold water washcloth on the forehead to help relieve a headache.

If the fever gets really high and persistent you can alternate ibuprofen and tylenol very aggresively. Only do this under the direction of a doctor though.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014