• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Rec'd a gift of apparently high quality caviar on from a client on or about 12/17/07. It was shipped and was immediately refrigerated in it's original cardboard box (white and probably insulated).

A friend and I have a bet. Loser buys dinner and drinks. Winner picks restaurant and bar.

We plan on opening the caviar Saturday Night (2/9/08) just before we go out.

It's too late to change our bets - but I'd like to have an idea if I'm going to be the Winner ahead of time.

To make the bet more fun, neither of us are allowed to do any specific research about the type of caviar, so we can't look at the shipping label, or call the client about it. Of course, we can't open the box ahead of time either.

He's betting that the fish eggs will still be good and tasty.

I'm betting they won't be something I'd want to eat (i.e., they'll be spoiled.)

The only thing I knew in the beginning was that the vendor was a Specialty Caviar company. (Which is why I think it's more likely to be bad by now, because it's probably not chocked full of preservatives.)

What do you think, or perhaps know about caviar? Who do you think will win?

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
BrilliantPebbles said: To make the bet more fun, neither of us are allowed to do any specific research about the type of caviar, so we can't look at the shipping label, or call the client about it. Of course, we can't open the box ahead of time either.Cheater!

I wouldn't eat it, but then I don't like caviar.

momgoingbroke said: BrilliantPebbles said: To make the bet more fun, neither of us are allowed to do any specific research about the type of caviar, so we can't look at the shipping label, or call the client about it. Of course, we can't open the box ahead of time either.Cheater!

Waad da ya mean? Who ya callin' a "Cheater?"

He doesn't like caviar either - but if he insists it's good - he's going to have to eat a fair bit to prove it!

Caviar sounds nasty.
My mom took me to Nassau when I was 15 and one night we at a supposedly four star resaurant on the beach. She ordered some weird clamari dish with curry and I forgot what I ordered. Anyway, they were both nasty and we couldn't finish them. Then we discovered this little greasy spoon down near the bridge to Paradise Island and they had Grouper and Chick Peas on a huge plate for cheap. It was awesome and we ate there every night for the rest of the trip.
Anyway, I learned at an early age to be very careful about seafood.

you can't research, but you can read what WE research correct?

Caviar Caveat

Always ask or read about the "shelf life" of the caviar you are purchasing. Some caviars can sit on a shelf unopened for some time. Others must be refrigerated right away. All are meant to be eaten sooner rather than later. Don't let your purchase spoil.

it may NOT be Beluga since that is banned from import into USA. so my bet is to get ready to carry your friend into emergency room and enjoy your meal.

FrugalFreak said: you can't research, but you can read what WE research correct? you'd be willing to do the legwork?

FrugalFreak said: you can't research, but you can read what WE research correct?

That's the way I'm interpreting it.

momgoingbroke said: BrilliantPebbles said: To make the bet more fun, neither of us are allowed to do any specific research about the type of caviar, so we can't look at the shipping label, or call the client about it. Of course, we can't open the box ahead of time either.Cheater!

We can't confirm the probable make and model so-to-speak of the particular caviar most likely in the box by going to the website of the company on the shipping label and looking for their most expensive brands for an educated guess. No rules about not researching caviar half-life in general - as far as I can tell.

I love caviar, so no way would that still be in my fridge since 12/17.

I have a healthy respect for seafood items that seem fine, but about 4 hours later you find out the hard way that they weren't.

I wouldn't even attempt to eat it now almost 2 months later.

so my guess if it requires refrigeration, it is the more spoilable kind is my guess.
but the special vending may have advance preservation measures such as vacumn packed along with thier own methods, that may be what makes them SPECIALITY, it may be the selling point. I take it your friend already knows something about the roe or he never would have made the bet. a smart man only makes a bet he knows he has won already!

but at two months, it is fine, I was thinking it was a year old, yep you lost bud! salt and pastuerazation will preserve it for at least two!

from web

How long will caviar last at home?
Caviar will last about 1 week at home in your refrigerator. It should be stored in the coldest part, usually in the meat compartment. Caviar should be eaten within 2-3 days after opening.

&

Shelf life

As with all other products, caviar shelf life depends on storage conditions, i.e. time-temperature history, type of package, technological process option (preservation, pasteurization, etc.) and overall plant and processing sanitation status. Apart from this, caviar shelf life depends greatly on initial roe quality, which fluctuates from fish to fish.

When purchasing fresh caviar, buy only as much as you plan to serve. Keep caviar refrigerated in the coldest part of the refrigerator, never frozen, (with the exception of domestic golden whitefish caviar and salmon caviar). The unopened jar or tin can be stored in the refrigerator for up to ten days. An opened jar or tin of caviar can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for no longer than two or three days.

check out the table on there, I researched, you simply read!

go talk to your banker for that dinner loan

BrilliantPebbles said: momgoingbroke said: BrilliantPebbles said: To make the bet more fun, neither of us are allowed to do any specific research about the type of caviar, so we can't look at the shipping label, or call the client about it. Of course, we can't open the box ahead of time either.Cheater!We can't confirm the probable make and model so-to-speak of the particular caviar most likely in the box by going to the website of the company on the shipping label and looking for their most expensive brands for an educated guess. No rules about not researching caviar half-life in general - as far as I can tell.I hope you know I'm just messing with you....

Who's bringing the Ritz crackers?

iowahawkeye said: Who's bringing the whole wheat Ritz crackers?

fixed

iowahawkeye said: Who's bringing the Ritz crackers?

I like it better on Rye Triscuits with just a thin swipe of butter, yum! Or...just on a spoon with diced red onion and hard boiled egg.

I am drooling on myself just thinking about it. Its probably been 3-4 years since i've had it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014