Thoughts on working 4-10 hour day.

Archived From: Off Topic
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I currently work a 5 day 8 hour M-F work week. I am going to propose working a 4 day 10 hour M-Tr shift for the summer. It will give everyone a 3 day weekend and save gas.

To sell it completely to my supervisor I need more reasons on how the "company" would benefit and not just the workers.

Thanks

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.
What sort of business is it?

Government.

A quick google search turns up: Benefit of Flex Hours

Good Luck.

Zuke76 said: Government.

Can you be more specific, or would you then have to kill me?

when you come up with a good list, please share it with me

Electricity? Less costs for computers, lights, etc on the 5th day (assuming you power down the computer on the weekends, but leave it on during the week)?

Heating and cooling? Relaxed heating and cooling schedules on the 5th day?

Biggest I can think of: Employee satisfaction. Better rested employees after the weekend, happier, etc.

HorB said: Zuke76 said: Government.

Can you be more specific, or would you then have to kill me?

A government department the generally doesn't have much work in the summer time. Think of it as a public school administration.

Any more info on it and Chuck Norris will think you to death.

4 9-hr M-F and 1/2 day Friday is an easier sell....

Zuke76 said:
To sell it completely to my supervisor I need more reasons on how the "company" would benefit and not just the workers
without even the most primary details about the work you do- how are we supposed to come up with reasons to justify the schedule changes that are applicable to your situation?

department of education has summer hours.

It would depend on how many employees you have, what you do, and if your people are dependable.

Zuke76 said: A government department the generally doesn't have much work in the summer time. Think of it as a public school administration.

energy savings will be huge for a single day- the cooling won't have to be cranked up, because staff won't be there. add that to the gas employees will save and daily op cost.

SilverII said: 4 9-hr M-F and 1/2 day Friday is an easier sell....

Yeah, but it benefits the employees a lot less. The best part about working 4 10 hr. days is that you save a lot on gas & car mileage.

I would love the idea but can't see it coming to the public school system.

Work is turned around faster during week since there's 2 more hours a day.

We have 5 people in our division. All of us are very dependable and work our asses off from Sept-June. Besides a few details and programs that are a week long in July and Aug. during the summer time we generally sit around, go out to lunch together and do work that makes us look "busy."

Again thanks for the the input.

Zuke76 said: Government.

That shouldn't be hard. Most Government jobs have a thing called Flex time. At least were i work.
But it is usually 9 hour days with every other friday off. That includes the lunch hour you would of had off also.

COnsidering the fact that government workers barely work and do so even less on Fridays, I would think you should get it off.

The boss is going to say that since so little is done on Friday, Thursday will become the next Friday, and no work will be completed on it either.

Forgot to add: I would love to work 4-10 hour days.

I hope he lets you guys do it.

SilverII said: 4 9-hr M-F and 1/2 day Friday is an easier sell....

That's what I do.
(But I can pretty much choose my hours)

chocula said: COnsidering the fact that government workers barely work and do so even less on Fridays, I would think you should get it off.
damn i must of been a sucker. i use to work my ass off all 5 days and sometimes saturdays for a city government job in the building department! thanks for the appreciation.

dude i do 12 hour days. do you see me complaining?

...oh wait. i do go here to complain

DutchDutch said: Biggest I can think of: Employee satisfaction. Better rested employees after the weekend, happier, etc.

You and I must have different ideas of "weekend". I need Monday and Tuesday as easy days just to get over my typical weekend...

c0nfused said: chocula said: COnsidering the fact that government workers barely work and do so even less on Fridays, I would think you should get it off.
damn i must of been a sucker. i use to work my ass off all 5 days and sometimes saturdays for a city government job in the building department! thanks for the appreciation.

Finally I found you. After 25 years of looking, I found the one government employee that actually puts in a hard day of work. It is a miracle (just messing with you)

The main thing they are going to save is productivity. I have seen news clips many times about how much time is wasted at work when first getting there or getting back from lunch, etc. Working a 10 hour day means those 2 extra hours are almost pure productivity and not going to waste. Whereas a 8x5 you would lose productivity every day when people arrive and come back from lunch.

Lets say its a 1 hour per day productivity loss (Pulling that number out of my rear, but prolly not far off)
8 x 5 = 5 hours per week lost.
10 x 4 = 4 hours per week lost

The other thing is that extending a work day means you arrive earlier or leave later.
Electricity is cheaper early in the morning and late at night, so the extra 2 hours per day of electricity all your lights and computers and stuff takes will be cheaper than it would take mid day on Friday.
Not to mention 1 hour savings on electricity due to no lunch taken on day off. (Do you shut down your computer and turn off all the lights when you go to lunch? I doubt it)

And of course the obvious gains for the employee are mileage and gas which makes them happier and happy people work harder.

The downside for the employee is people who have young children might not get to spend time with them every day. I often get home after my daughter goes to bed and aside from 20 mins in the morning while getting ready for work, I can sometimes go an entire day without getting to see her. And thats with a 8 x 5 schedule where we are overworked to more like 9x5 or 10x5 due to a busy time in our company currently.

Casper, you forgot the end of day shut down. Most people stop working before the end time. So the company loses production as the end of the day nears.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014