• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
rated:
now, I don't want to be the old man standing in the front yard yelling at the kids walking by on the sidewalk.

but these little shits live on a lot just as big as mine ~.3 acres of backyard, and there is NOTHING behind our houses, just a big empty lot that a church is being built on (lot is 4 acres, church is directly behind the neighbor's house 3 lots down the opposite of that of the house with the little shits.

The guy there put a playset thing up that his girls play on, and he puts it up about 12' from the property line. Then the boys insist on hitting golf balls around in the back yard, which I don't care about, but they stand about 10' from the house, and don't move out farther. So a slice could theoretically go through my window of the back sunroom. They climb around in my landscaping, and I told them once sternly, but kind to not climb through the landscaping beds, as I have flowers planted (which I do) and they said OK. They asked if they could sit on the rocks that form the border of the landscaping beds, which I replied 'yes, just stay out of the dirt and mulch'

Tonight the little shits are in the back hitting golf balls against the rocks, as they bounce random directions, typically up and back, and are laughing. Thing is 1/4 smacks goes flying over the rocks and through my yard and within 10' of the back sunroom, so they run through the beds, through my yard, and back. So after I witness this happen 4 times, I open the backyard and yell 'hey, don't hit your golf balls towards my house' and they reply of course 'we didn't'. I say 'yes you did, you're standing in my yard looking for your golf ball because you hit it purposely this way. I saw you'. They get their balls and run back.

So, I haven't gotten to the point of talking with the parents yet, and I hope not to. They just moved in this winter, and I really don't want to piss them off. Just those kinds of people, you know... Most people have mowed their grass 3-5 times this year. They mowed the first time yesterday. Everyone keeps things nice, fertilize, weed and feed, plant flowers, they haven't.

SO I realize I probably won't get anything constructive out of this, but it makes me feel better to write my frustrations out. Short of getting a mean dog, putting up an electric fence, or to keep yelling at the kids or talk to the parents, I think I'm SOL.

I'm going to plant some veggies in a week or so, and I really don't want these kids trampling through them. Or breaking a window.

Oh yeah, there was a 'rock sculpture' in the backyard. The previous owner called it a waterfall (but I thought that you needed water to be falling for a waterfall, but what do I know?) and it's a bunch of stacked up flatstone rocks, that I think he was eventually going to turn into a koi pond. Well, it stood with no problems for the entire time I've been here (and him before me). I heard a noise the other day, and look outside to see the kids running from the area, looking over their shoulders at the waterfall. It's tumbled over. I can't prove it, and suppose nature and gravity could have done it in, but I have suspicions. If there was a kid on the other side, they could have been killed. Literally. There were 100-150 pound rocks stacked. And about 12 fell.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

start keeping bee's... set up one or two hives to help pollinate your plants...lol

put up a partial privacy fence

formattc said: Put up signs?

already have those up good idea though.

Use your shrubs to let them know how you really feel.

linky

If it can keep any Bonaduce away, this should work. link

Put up a sign "My property, my balls"

rgilbert said: start keeping bee's... set up one or two hives to help pollinate your plants...lol

Train my bees to attack little shithead kids? Good idea.

rgilbert said: put up a partial privacy fence

I thought about the privacy fence thing... thought it'd be a bunch of money. Partial privacy wouldn't be bad either... didn't think of that. There's already 3 small pine trees (2') over there, I was considering planting some fast growing cover tree between them, and cutting them out when the pines are getting bigger and come together... any ideas on a tree or bush that will block traffic and line of sight (and golf balls) within a year or so?

sage224 said: Use your shrubs to let them know how you really feel.

linky

Kids are pretty dumb, I think it'd go over their heads.

Register as a level 3 sex offender

formattc said: Put up signs?
That was my thought, but I was imagining this.

NationSurf said: If it can keep any Bonaduce away, this should work. link

that's an awesome idea, I may do that once I get the koi pond in though, there will be a water source... in the mean time, I don't want to run a hose through the lawn and leave it on always.

Any way to pressurize a hose without attaching it to a pressurized water system, or an electric powered pump?

bush that will block traffic = certain thorny rose bush and thorny apple bush
-_+==

Plant little quicksand pits around your property.

scott1961 said: Register as a level 3 sex offender

or ring the doorbell and tell them "the court system of the great state of Ohio requires that I inform all my neighbors about my recent conviction in the area of child abuse and sex offense..."

see what they say...

rgilbert said: bush that will block traffic = certain thorny rose bush and thorny apple bush
-_+==

That's actually not a bad idea. Raspberries and Black Raspberries work great, they're really thorny and grow fast.

PS> I actually did this when the kid across the back fence was little. He used to like to put his feet in the chain link and grab onto the top rail and swing around. He pulled the top rail out of the end sockets a couple of times. I planted Blackberries along the fence one year and that came to and end. Not to mention, the berries make one mean cobbler.

wahine1 said: Plant little quicksand pits around your property.
you gain points for cleverness, lose points for difficulty

DutchDutch said: wahine1 said: Plant little quicksand pits around your property.

Just joking...;D How about poison ivy?

install backyard speakers and play brown noise.

start walking around in the nude

wahine1 said: DutchDutch said: wahine1 said: Plant little quicksand pits around your property.

Just joking...;D How about poison ivy?

or install rattlesnake pits?

rgilbert said: put up a partial privacy fence

I'm not available!

BJisnot4u said: install backyard speakers and play brown noise.

too bad that real high "mosquito" noise won't work (I can hear it)

rgilbert said: start walking around in the nude

doesn't seem to help, been doing this since I moved in... although the last neighbors did move...

offer them some free candy to stay out of the yard. if this doesn't work offer them free candy while walking around nude.

Whenever you see them playing outside, time your sprinklers to go on.

automatic motion-sensing water cannon housed in a pillbox

DutchDutch said: any ideas on a tree or bush that will block traffic and line of sight (and golf balls) within a year or so?

Thuja Green Giant will grow 3 to 5 ft a year and can grow as tall as 100 ft. They're great for privacy and are much hardier than the leyland cypress.

One thing you might be able to mention to the parents in a non confrontational way is to approach it by saying that your insurance agent has mentioned that the children on your property are an added liability. And in order to keep your insurance costs down, you're going to have to insist that they keep their little brats, uh, darlings, on their own property.

Dude, just go up to the neighbors and tell them that their kids are trespassing on your property... You have a right to privacy on your property and those kids are violating your privacy... They should understand and talk to the kids. If not, you can escalate the situation...

Madmurphy said: ...One thing you might be able to mention to the parents in a non confrontational way....

What's with people being afraid of confrontation nowadays anyway?

I would set up a security camera system to record to DVD when it senses motion (PM me if you want details) and tell the kids you are doing so, then tell them it's $5 each time ANY one of them goes into your yard or tell them you are uploading the feed to the police station. You can use the feed as evidence if something of yours gets broken or damaged.

Another thought--make a bud on the PD and ask him/her by a couple times a week for dinner or a game on TV or something. Make sure y'all can see out the back and make comments each time you see the kids doing wrong, "Geez, I wish those kids would keep out of my yard! They have already done a lot of damage and talking to them goes nowhere. Can you suggest anything?" Maybe having a cop coming out to talk to them or the parents might make an impression. Or just ask a cop to come over in an unmarked car when you know the kids will be out, and he can see what they're doing and go talk to them.

The ABSOLUTE #1 thing I would do is go talk to the parents. I know you don't want to, but you have already had several situations that could have been bad for you and/or the kids, and they have already lied to you and shown you no respect in obeying your wishes. Tell the parents you are putting up cameras since the kids have already lied to you about actions you saw them performing. Make clear that anything that happens due to the kids (breaking your windows, etc.) they will have to be liable for, since You have already discussed this with the kids and they refused to listen. You can understand a one-time accident, but this has gone way too far. You can do this in a nice way that hopefully won't hack them off. The main idea is to protect your property and avoid injury lawsuits. And do not allow them to climb on your rocks any more. That was a "privilege" that they have now lost due to their not following your direction.

PartialwrtX said: Madmurphy said: ...One thing you might be able to mention to the parents in a non confrontational way....

Because he has to live next to the little darlings and if they do damage when they aren't pissed off, imagine what they can do when they are trying to be destructive.

PartialwrtX said: Dude, just go up to the neighbors and tell them that their kids are trespassing on your property... You have a right to privacy on your property and those kids are violating your privacy... They should understand and talk to the kids. If not, you can escalate the situation...

I have absolutely no problem with the kids being on my property.

What I have problems with is playing in the dirt/mulch landscaping beds, hitting golf balls towards my house, and climbing on the rocks. If kids are playing baseball and the ball goes in my yard, I'm ok with them getting it.

And like I said above, I don't want to involve the kids' parents (at this point). Although I believe that the parents should do a little more parenting.

Madmurphy said: PartialwrtX said: Madmurphy said: ...One thing you might be able to mention to the parents in a non confrontational way....

Because he has to live next to the little darlings and if they do damage when they aren't pissed off, imagine what they can do when they are trying to be destructive.

Well, the way to approach it is to assertively approach their parents and explain to them the problems... You gain their respect cos you show assertiveness AND they'll prolly talk to the kids to let them know what not to do...

DutchDutch said: PartialwrtX said: Dude, just go up to the neighbors and tell them that their kids are trespassing on your property... You have a right to privacy on your property and those kids are violating your privacy... They should understand and talk to the kids. If not, you can escalate the situation...

I have absolutely no problem with the kids being on my property.

What I have problems with is playing in the dirt/mulch landscaping beds, hitting golf balls towards my house, and climbing on the rocks. If kids are playing baseball and the ball goes in my yard, I'm ok with them getting it.

And like I said above, I don't want to involve the kids' parents (at this point). Although I believe that the parents should do a little more parenting.

Yeah, I think just talk to their parents and it'll work out...

spitfiresuz said: Unleash a squadron of parakeets at them. Did I mention the parakeets are free?

Well, I'm planning on, the next time I see one of the parents outside (I'm not going to go ring the doorbell), I'm going to say something like:

"I mentioned to your boys that I don't mind them cutting through my lawn to get a ball that mistakenly was overthrown and landed in my yard, but I've asked them twice to not be in the landscaping beds because there are flowers planted, and they've not listened, and I warned them about hitting golf balls towards my house. The other day I saw golf balls nearly hit the house several times and I warned the kids then. I just don't want the house to be hit, or a window to be broken"

qcumber98 said: spitfiresuz said: Unleash a squadron of parakeets at them. Did I mention the parakeets are free?

Would it be cruel to tie strings to the parakeets feet (like flying a kite)?

That way they can divebomb to their little heart's desire, and then have to come back (to be repeated the next day)...

get that sprinkler that has the motion senser on it. it is to keep cats out of the flowers/garden, but motion is motion! It is like 40 bucks, you may need two!! I'll find the link.

Skipping 77 Messages...
i am so glad that my neighbors are not like any of the bad ones in this thread. the neighbor kids do occasionally have to come get a ball in my yard, but it's no big deal.

the only thing that i can suggest for anyone w/ unwanted nuisance would be to get the scarecrow.
(just went through to read the rest of the thread and i see someone has already suggested this.)
i would be HIGHLY pissed if anyone put weed killer in my yard. i don't use chemicals. i wish you luck.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014